Vince Cole- 6'5 SG- USC Salk - ST. JOHN'S (Signed)

• 85 replies

Dan

Re: Vince Cole- 6'5 SG- USC Salk - ST. JOHN'S (Verbal Commit)
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2019, 04:58:37 PM »
How do you gather that from my post? There is quite a bit of room between low level player and someone worthy of hype. Who the hell knows who will be worthy of starting here anymore?

It appears like we are just going to run out a hundred 2 and 3 * players and won’t be in the hunt for top 50-75 talent anymore. This reliance on jucos is troubling. I’m all for kids like LJ who teansferres there for a year from good programs, but we cannot survive on 2+ jucos a year.

One JUCO (who was an all american) and it's a reliance on jucos which is troubling.  That's a scorching hot take. Guess they can't all be Matt A, get tons of transfers, win zero ncaa tournament games with that talent, then bolt when the going gets tough. That was more your style.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 06:29:20 PM by Dan »

Marillac

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2019, 07:24:19 PM »
So you believe he’s a low level player not worthy of any hype? Ho are we being reliant on JUCOS? When was the last time we had two solid players committed so early? Staff is doing a tremendous job.

Are you stupid or do you purposely create and attribute arguments to others?

I don’t think this recruit is worthy of hype—certainly not to the level some have showered him with. I am fine with him taking up a roster spot. It’s not all or nothing.

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2019, 07:25:25 PM »
One JUCO (who was an all american) and it's a reliance on jucos which is troubling.  That's a scorching hot take. Guess they can't all be Matt A, get tons of transfers, win zero ncaa tournament games with that talent, then bolt when the going gets tough. That was more your style.

Please find me someone who has publicly ridiculed Matt A more than me.

SJUFAN

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2019, 09:27:59 PM »
“I am fine with him taking up a roster spot.”

Taking up a roster spot? Your ridiculous.

Dan

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2019, 11:16:14 PM »
Please find me someone who has publicly ridiculed Matt A more than me.

And yet you seemingly yearn for the days of him.

I'm not saying Anderson is going to work out, but I will say that whatever previous coaches have been doing has not been successful.  Not saying this will happen, but sign me up for a NCAA tournament win with a scrappy team full of 3 stars who play defense with competent coaching vs. having higher ranked guys, barely making the tournament, and getting bounced immediately every year.  You could very well be right and this becomes Norm version 2.0 but more or less everyone rejected the job.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 11:17:01 PM by Dan »

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2019, 11:56:03 PM »
Taking up a roster spot? Your ridiculous.

You’re right, he’s the next Michael Jordan, and apparently he gets a scholarship and roster exemption too. That leaves room for more 2* guys.

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2019, 01:06:49 AM »
You’re right, he’s the next Michael Jordan, and apparently he gets a scholarship and roster exemption too. That leaves room for more 2* guys.
What do you think of the next Juco the Guess kid ?

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2019, 02:57:28 PM »
Encouraging Vince to leave his school and to sit out this year would close JUCO doors to SJU--that is not a way to encourage future JUCO recruitment

I don't understand your logic here. Why would this close doors?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2019, 03:04:06 PM »
I completely agreee...that you’re absolutely insane, but yes keep talking trash, this is LJ 2.0 with a better shot.

While I hope Cole has matured a bit and game has evolved but there is big separation between him and LJ.

LJ had offers from high majors in high school and was a big time scoring prospect. Cole had some low major interest and it was pretty telling when CofC took away his offer and passed on him and he fell to Juco.

Cole could be decent role guy and interesting we took a commitment this early from him.

SJUFAN

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2019, 03:10:25 PM »

He who spoke off no in between goes from a kid deserving of a “roster spot” to Michael Jordon. Who’s saying Michael Jordan? A player who is projected to be a significant contributor for this team is more deserving of a “roster spot”. Trimble wasn’t deserving of a roster spot yet his balls are still on your chin.

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2019, 03:11:33 PM »
I'm with Marillac here. Nothing to get too hyped about here. Good sized guard who has a knack for scoring the ball so hopefully he can contribute. I'd expect ceiling to be Bashir Ahmed and maybe the floor is Malik Ellison

SJUFAN

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2019, 03:18:32 PM »
While I hope Cole has matured a bit and game has evolved but there is big separation between him and LJ.

LJ had offers from high majors in high school and was a big time scoring prospect. Cole had some low major interest and it was pretty telling when CofC took away his offer and passed on him and he fell to Juco.

Cole could be decent role guy and interesting we took a commitment this early from him.

Are you basing this assessment of the kid off the type of offers the kid received in HS. Have you seen him play? This is an experienced staff, I trust their judgment over us non professionals.

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2019, 03:27:04 PM »

Poison

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2019, 03:58:46 PM »
I'm with Marillac here. Nothing to get too hyped about here. Good sized guard who has a knack for scoring the ball so hopefully he can contribute. I'd expect ceiling to be Bashir Ahmed and maybe the floor is Malik Ellison

Let’s see how he plays this year.

It’s way too soon to point to a ceiling for a kid that played one season of JUCO ball.

Marillac

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2019, 06:34:16 PM »
He who spoke off no in between goes from a kid deserving of a “roster spot” to Michael Jordon. Who’s saying Michael Jordan? A player who is projected to be a significant contributor for this team is more deserving of a “roster spot”. Trimble wasn’t deserving of a roster spot yet his balls are still on your chin.

Do you understand sarcasm at all? I gave you a dose of your own medicine. You make enormous leaps in logic and deal in extremes.

I don’t have a problem with adding Cole. My issue is the hype he’s getting. He was in the same freaking second team all NJCAA as Mullin signee Valdir Manuel (both as freshman playing wreak competition) yet there was no hype for Manuel and this kid is the next LJ?

LJ was a top 100 player out of high school who went to a perennial tournament team at New Mexico St. He left New Mexico after gaining a year of D-1 college experience when his coaches moved on and he was not allowed to follow them. He played against very good JUCO competition. Cole was a 2* high school player who has played in a crappy league. He’s not going to step into big role for a good team day 1.

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2019, 06:48:00 PM »
Do you understand sarcasm at all? I gave you a dose of your own medicine. You make enormous leaps in logic and deal in extremes.

I don’t have a problem with adding Cole. My issue is the hype he’s getting. He was in the same freaking second team all NJCAA as Mullin signee Valdir Manuel (both as freshman playing wreak competition) yet there was no hype for Manuel and this kid is the next LJ?

LJ was a top 100 player out of high school who went to a perennial tournament team at New Mexico St. He left New Mexico after gaining a year of D-1 college experience when his coaches moved on and he was not allowed to follow them. He played against very good JUCO competition. Cole was a 2* high school player who has played in a crappy league. He’s not going to step into big role for a good team day 1.

How high were you on LJ?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

kjd01067

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2019, 08:58:19 PM »
How high were you on LJ?

Marillac quote about LJ after committing: “Let's give him some time and not go crazy year one.  Dixon has torn up D-1 and has spent another year with the program. Dixon is more prepared to start.” Don’t listen to anything Marillac says he is a dope.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 08:58:39 PM by kjd01067 »

Marillac

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2019, 03:34:42 AM »
Marillac quote about LJ after committing: “Let's give him some time and not go crazy year one.  Dixon has torn up D-1 and has spent another year with the program. Dixon is more prepared to start.” Don’t listen to anything Marillac says he is a dope.

Wow, how dishonest are you? You ignored three very positive posts by me in the same thread to pick one responding to if LJ was a day one starter? I didn’t even find out LJ spent a year at NMSU until well after that post and said that changed everything with his timeline in a later post.

Here is my reply days after LJ first committed:  “Wow I completely missed his and Eli's commitments. HUGE. This kid takes away our need for another big (although you can never have too many) with proper coaching and players playing the correct positions.”

“Huge.” How is that anything but very positive?

Here is the link to the entire thread so people can read for themselves and also get a good feel for KJD’s questionable character:

http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=10109.60

« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 03:45:10 AM by Marillac »

kjd01067

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2019, 06:05:44 AM »
Wow, how dishonest are you? You ignored three very positive posts by me in the same thread to pick one responding to if LJ was a day one starter? I didn’t even find out LJ spent a year at NMSU until well after that post and said that changed everything with his timeline in a later post.

Here is my reply days after LJ first committed:  “Wow I completely missed his and Eli's commitments. HUGE. This kid takes away our need for another big (although you can never have too many) with proper coaching and players playing the correct positions.”

Here is the link to the entire thread so people can read for themselves and also get a good feel for KJD’s questionable character:

Questionable character? I took a direct quote from you. You can try to explain it all you want. You take ridiculous positions all the time and then either double down or totally back off. I’m tired of reading your nonsense.

Johnny23

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2019, 06:43:59 AM »

Well you were still off even with the added context. We sorely ended up needing another big or two last year AND Eli Wright was not even close to a huge get, just more filler.