Monasch Out

• 76 replies
Re: Monasch Out
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2015, 02:14:30 PM »
I think people can't get past his really gross fake tan.

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2015, 04:48:34 PM »
The ineptitude of the compliance department with no consequences stands out...otherwise, Monasch did a pretty decent job.

Are you just basing their ineptitude on 2 basketball players not qualifying or the other 100-150 student athletes that did qualify? Also, not sure what the compliance dept. could have done when both kids were cleared by the NCAA clearinghouse.

Players not qualifying on more than the two occasions.  No need to go back.  As far as Thomas, though, it seems anyone who looked could have seen his transcript was a work of fiction.  No one apparently looked. 

Moose

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2015, 08:16:36 PM »
Dave, the one thing that comes to mind is losing the SJU trademark to st joes. And explain to me how channels like SNY promote uconn  mens and women's Bball.....and that was before fox sports. If you think this athletic dept was run as good as it could be that's sad.

Trademark is University not athletics
Remember who broke the Slice news

sju89tr

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2015, 08:38:46 PM »
Monasch did a decent job. No reason to take hits at him. It was time to start anew though in my opinion. 

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2015, 08:40:50 PM »
The ineptitude of the compliance department with no consequences stands out...otherwise, Monasch did a pretty decent job.

Are you just basing their ineptitude on 2 basketball players not qualifying or the other 100-150 student athletes that did qualify? Also, not sure what the compliance dept. could have done when both kids were cleared by the NCAA clearinghouse.

Players not qualifying on more than the two occasions.  No need to go back.  As far as Thomas, though, it seems anyone who looked could have seen his transcript was a work of fiction.  No one apparently looked. 

Well apparently the NCAA didn't look because they initially cleared him as well.  The same NCAA that cleared Derrick Rose as did Memphis despite months later it became clear he did not ever sit for his SAT's.

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2015, 08:42:33 PM »
Dave, the one thing that comes to mind is losing the SJU trademark to st joes. And explain to me how channels like SNY promote uconn  mens and women's Bball.....and that was before fox sports. If you think this athletic dept was run as good as it could be that's sad.
You can't blame UConn getting a big deal with SNY on Monasch.  The state of Connecticut has more people then STJ has Alumni.  Add to that the fact that CT has no pro sports teams, so they are rabid UCONN fans.  A Catholic school can't compete with the University of Connecticut and it's entire commonwealth, unless you are Notre Dame.

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2015, 09:09:12 PM »
Yeah some of these complaints are complete nonsense.  If it happened he was responsible no matter what the facts say.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2015, 09:22:31 PM »
New President, time for a regime change...This is just a small part over a bigger university overhaul.

-One issue was that he didn't seem to have a plan after Roberts left and Lavin stepped in and saved he bacon...
-The Marquee program struggled underneath him as well. When the rubber meets the road your best program has to shine. Not saying it was all his fault  but he was responsible for it.
-Overall, did he help expand the SJU sports brand?

I heard that SJU was not a trademark issue it was Farther Harrington leaving his mark on the school. SJU started to use SJU again on everything else but sports...

Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2015, 09:45:20 PM »

So the St. John's AD is responsible for the commercials of TV Networks? Super stretch.

I can understand if you thought SJU should have been on there instead but maybe it wasn't financially responsible? What if it didn't net good returns? There are a lot of unknown factors to public.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

redslope

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2015, 11:13:06 PM »

So the St. John's AD is responsible for the commercials of TV Networks? Super stretch.

I can understand if you thought SJU should have been on there instead but maybe it wasn't financially responsible? What if it didn't net good returns? There are a lot of unknown factors to public.

SNY signed U-con because of Comcast which dominates the Conn cable market.  By doing that signing they were able to get on Comcast and get good rates.  Had they signed us they might not have gotten into the Conn market.  There was no problem getting on TWC and Cablevision in the NYC?LI market neither of which needed SNY with U-con but wanted the Mets programing.  The SNYhows with U-con on TWC and Cablevision are probably very low rated.

« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2015, 01:01:47 AM »
Well i guess we'll see in a few years if Bobby G, Mullin and new AD take the university in a direction where it hasn't been in years and then we'll know if monasch realized the maximum potential of the sports program. I have a feeling the University will be far and away better off in the new direction in all areas.

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2015, 01:23:59 AM »
Well i guess we'll see in a few years if Bobby G, Mullin and new AD take the university in a direction where it hasn't been in years and then we'll know if monasch realized the maximum potential of the sports program. I have a feeling the University will be far and away better off in the new direction in all areas.
You do realize you are altering your original point and bypassing what Dave pointed out.  The school was spending substantially more money for MBB when Lavin came in.

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2015, 07:40:49 AM »

SNY signed U-con because of Comcast which dominates the Conn cable market.  By doing that signing they were able to get on Comcast and get good rates.  Had they signed us they might not have gotten into the Conn market.  There was no problem getting on TWC and Cablevision in the NYC?LI market neither of which needed SNY with U-con but wanted the Mets programing.  The SNYhows with U-con on TWC and Cablevision are probably very low rated.
Cablevision own Southern CT

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2015, 12:43:19 PM »
Well if spending money on an army of asst coaches who obviously slowed down after the first year or two of recruiting is spending money wisely then i was wrong. And i was a lavin supporter but realize after the first couple of years he tailed off. I see what Chris and two of the best recruiters have accomplished in a couple of months and if some people in the know are correct that Mullin would not of come without a change of AD then there was a problem. I think we all agree that he and or the University kept Norm around to long. If i was wrong on the responsibility of the AD in helping brand and market the basketball program sorry, that person and or persons should be let go as well.

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2015, 02:13:06 PM »
Well if spending money on an army of asst coaches who obviously slowed down after the first year or two of recruiting is spending money wisely then i was wrong. And i was a lavin supporter but realize after the first couple of years he tailed off. I see what Chris and two of the best recruiters have accomplished in a couple of months and if some people in the know are correct that Mullin would not of come without a change of AD then there was a problem. I think we all agree that he and or the University kept Norm around to long. If i was wrong on the responsibility of the AD in helping brand and market the basketball program sorry, that person and or persons should be let go as well.

So if 5 years ago I said you'd have....

-Upgraded facilities
- 2 mbb ncaa appearances
- 2 nba players
- new apparel deal

I'm sure majority of fans would sign up. I think where the problem exists is that people thought more goals were attainable and were not met due to negligence. I get that. I understand it and to a degree I agree with it too.

My point it wasn't BAD. It could simply be better.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 01:57:44 AM by Dave »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

pmg911

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2015, 03:42:37 PM »

Well apparently the NCAA didn't look because they initially cleared him as well.  The same NCAA that cleared Derrick Rose as did Memphis despite months later it became clear he did not ever sit for his SAT's.

The same NCAA that cleared Keith Thomas last year too

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2015, 04:01:08 PM »

The same NCAA that cleared Keith Thomas last year too

Correct. So if the player is cleared by the NCAA, I can't see why some feel our compliance dept. was at fault.

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2015, 04:57:34 PM »
Our compliance department has fewer transcripts to look through than the NCAA.  If you don't see this as a failure, we'll agree to disagree.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2015, 09:27:02 PM »

So if 5 years ago I said you'd have....

-Upgraded facilities
- 2 mbb ncaa appearances
- 2 nba players
- new apparel deal

I'm sure majority of fans would sign up. I think where the problem exists is that people thought more goals were attainable and were not met due to negligence. I get that. I understand it and to a degree I agree with it too.

My point it wasn't BAD. It could simply better.
Monarch and Lavin were meant for each other, because this pretty much describes Lavin's tenure... Good but could do better.
The one major difference is that Monasch was an SJU grad and I would like to see more passion and bigger expectations for the program.
It's something to be said when the new President has more pride and passion then the Vincentians and alumni at the school. I'm glad he is bringing back (sparing no expense) for people to think of SJU in a brighter light and bigger picture.
Cougar O' Malley

MCNPA

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2015, 10:57:20 PM »
I was pretty ambivalent about Monasch because I don't know. Ugh about his role or lack thereof but I've heard stories.  I'm still extremely thankful for Conrado Gempesaw for ushering away the mediocrity that Harrington and Co. fostered here.  Gempesaw came in, axed a mediocre coach and AD, recognizing right away the need to reclaim our identity. 

Whether Gempesaw is right or wrong in the long run, we will find out. He is certainly listening to his alums and has his finger on the pulse of the SJU base.  I give him a lot of credit for that, and acting in a swift and decisive manner.