Ryan Martin PF South Plains JC

• 76 replies
Re: Ryan Martin PF South Plains JC
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2014, 05:51:28 PM »
Seems like these days the only kids that want to compete for playing are the ones that go to Kentucky...

Let's be honest, it's not like Martin had 3 MCD AA he would be fighting for PT..

Kids today......V

It's a function of perceived benefits.  Kentucky produces pros, period.  Getting any material pt there is a safe bet to making the pros, whereas here, not so much.  So a recruit will roll the dice if Coach Cal comes knocking that he will crack the lineup, as opposed to Lavin, who has to sell reasonably assured pt to entice good talent.  Compounding matters, we just land Thomas, who will directly compete with him for pt  during his last season.  Martin would have been nice, but not sure he would have been the difference between making the NCAA tourney vs. NIT or worse. 

+1.   You can be a sixth man on UK and still find yourself drafted (see Daniel Orton).   And above all else kids care about getting to the league.
Everything else is decoration.
The question that I revisit now and then is not simply how many players make it to the NBA from a certain school, but which schools have the most impact players.

When UK fans were getting all cocky about Cal's first good year with Wall, I used to retort that they hadn't had any good pros since Mashburn & Walker (along with citing Ricky's failed UK Celtics teams). 

Since then, there a few very promising pros including Wall, but the statistical and visual truth is there haven't been any game changing players out of UK in a long while.  If I'm a coach, I'd point to how many very good, all-star caliber pros went to other schools (or none at all).  It's one way to strlke down the UK 2 NBA hype machine.

Game changing players are pretty hard to come by.   Which school were you citing that had multiple in the NBA right now?   Only Texas and Kentucky had more than 1 player on this year's all star game rosters.  Anthony Davis averaged 20/10 this year.  By my accounts that's extremely productive, if not game changing.  It's no coincidence that the only team to win the title for Cal featured AD who was the biggest force of nature in the game his one year there.  Also while talking Cal's recruits you can also count D Rose, so he has 3 all stars in the league right now.  Who else does?

But kids gotta realize that just getting a contract is, if managed correctly, gonna set you up for life.  No one has gotten kids more contracts the past 5 years than Cal.

And I don't even like him.

« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2014, 05:58:56 PM »
Seems like these days the only kids that want to compete for playing are the ones that go to Kentucky...

Let's be honest, it's not like Martin had 3 MCD AA he would be fighting for PT..

Kids today......V

It's a function of perceived benefits.  Kentucky produces pros, period.  Getting any material pt there is a safe bet to making the pros, whereas here, not so much.  So a recruit will roll the dice if Coach Cal comes knocking that he will crack the lineup, as opposed to Lavin, who has to sell reasonably assured pt to entice good talent.  Compounding matters, we just land Thomas, who will directly compete with him for pt  during his last season.  Martin would have been nice, but not sure he would have been the difference between making the NCAA tourney vs. NIT or worse. 

+1.   You can be a sixth man on UK and still find yourself drafted (see Daniel Orton).   And above all else kids care about getting to the league.
The question that I revisit now and then is not simply how many players make it to the NBA from a certain school, but which schools have the most impact players.

When UK fans were getting all cocky about Cal's first good year with Wall, I used to retort that they hadn't had any good pros since Mashburn & Walker (along with citing Ricky's failed UK Celtics teams). 

Since then, there a few very promising pros including Wall, but the statistical and visual truth is there haven't been any game changing players out of UK in a long while.  If I'm a coach, I'd point to how many very good, all-star caliber pros went to other schools (or none at all).  It's one way to strlke down the UK 2 NBA hype machine.

Rajon Rondo?

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2014, 06:51:30 PM »

Kids today......V

Game changing players are pretty hard to come by.   Which school were you citing that had multiple in the NBA right now?   Only Texas and Kentucky had more than 1 player on this year's all star game rosters.  Anthony Davis averaged 20/10 this year.  By my accounts that's extremely productive, if not game changing.  It's no coincidence that the only team to win the title for Cal featured AD who was the biggest force of nature in the game his one year there.  Also while talking Cal's recruits you can also count D Rose, so he has 3 all stars in the league right now.  Who else does?

But kids gotta realize that just getting a contract is, if managed correctly, gonna set you up for life.  No one has gotten kids more contracts the past 5 years than Cal.

More players would be set up for life if one of us were managing their money... I wasn't critiquing Cal, but UK.  Cal is pulling in a higher number of more highly rated players, so the odds are in his favor right now.  But Rose is Memphis (although yes Rondo) and you're right. No one school really has a bevy of all-stars.  That would be part of my rationale in selling my school.  I would point that out for sure.

But for 1st round draft picks getting some guaranteed contracts, Cal is leading.  And most student athletes don't give an S about their lackluster academics, so it doesn't matter.  But their students are getting good grades, and that is all its about - the APR baby...

Every single top rated player that is offered UK goes there.  And Lexington is merely an ok city. Take away the derby, and it's a 93% blahsville...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 07:00:50 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2014, 07:27:06 PM »

Every single top rated player that is offered UK goes there.  And Lexington is merely an ok city. Take away the derby, and it's a 93% blahsville...

http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/96/class/2014/page/offers

ESPN's been tracking this stuff for just a few years and yes, they've got a great hit rate but 4 for 12 for 2014 is hardly every single player.  Similar in 2012.  2013 when the went 8 for 12 was an aberration.  Cal does nave to work a little.

sju89tr

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2014, 07:39:47 PM »

Kids today......V

More players would be set up for life if one of us were managing their money... I wasn't critiquing Cal, but UK.  Cal is pulling in a higher number of more highly rated players, so the odds are in his favor right now.  But Rose is Memphis (although yes Rondo) and you're right. No one school really has a bevy of all-stars.  That would be part of my rationale in selling my school.  I would point that out for sure.

But for 1st round draft picks getting some guaranteed contracts, Cal is leading.  And most student athletes don't give an S about their lackluster academics, so it doesn't matter.  But their students are getting good grades, and that is all its about - the APR baby...

It's a nice small city, nice suburbs, affordable, has their share of bad areas. There are far worse places to be. The big thing is these kids are treated like celebs there and Kentucky(Rupp) is a great place to play.   

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2014, 07:53:03 PM »

Kids today......V

It's a nice small city, nice suburbs, affordable, has their share of bad areas. There are far worse places to be. The big thing is these kids are treated like celebs there and Kentucky(Rupp) is a great place to play.   
and the opportunity to go to the kentucky bourbon ale factory and then go walk over and bring beer to the occupy lexington kids and drink with them is something everyone should do once in their lifetime :)

« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2014, 07:58:01 PM »

Kids today......V

and the opportunity to go to the kentucky bourbon ale factory and then go walk over and bring beer to the occupy lexington kids and drink with them is something everyone should do once in their lifetime :)
now you're getting into compelling reasons to attend.  That slightly beats out free keg Wednesdays at the Pinewood (Manhattan College) back in the day -  :buck2:

sju89tr

« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2014, 08:02:16 PM »

Kids today......V

That was a fun day even though someone had a fall at Malone's LOL

Occupy Lexington LMFAO
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 08:02:50 PM by sju89tr »

Marillac

« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2014, 11:42:49 PM »
Not sure of that logic.  We have one returning big that has gotten playing time.   Is he going to select a school with no other bigs?

I think the staff made it clear it would be one or the other.  Also, I probably wouldn't feel too good about following a kid the same size who doubled my rebound and scoring totals at the same level.  He's got one year to prove himself.

Marillac

« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2014, 11:51:07 PM »

Kids today......V

The Derby is in Louisville.  Lexington is absolutely gorgeous.  It is the epitome of a college town.  I know I'm a bit defensive of Kentucky since my friends and family razz me nonstop about buying a farm there, but it really is beautiful.  The crisp, clean white fences that line the horse fields for miles are just amazing to look at.  There is some serious money down there....oil, cattle, horses.

It can't hurt to play home games in front of 20,000+ and have celebrities like Clooney (from Lexington) , Ashley Judd (season tickets) and Drake frequent games.

« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2014, 11:52:49 PM »
Not sure of that logic.  We have one returning big that has gotten playing time.   Is he going to select a school with no other bigs?

I think the staff made it clear it would be one or the other.  Also, I probably wouldn't feel too good about following a kid the same size who doubled my rebound and scoring totals at the same level.  He's got one year to prove himself.
Just based on his video highlights (which is all I have to go on with Thomas and ADR) and based on the things I saw him do on the court IMHO he would have been our best front court player next year. What I don't like about him is his seeming lack of confidence because his attitude should have been I'll go into practice and bust everybody's behind and earn all the PT I want.

Poison

« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2014, 11:57:10 PM »

Kids today......V

The Derby is in Louisville.  Lexington is absolutely gorgeous.  It is the epitome of a college town.  I know I'm a bit defensive of Kentucky since my friends and family razz me nonstop about buying a farm there, but it really is beautiful.  The crisp, clean white fences that line the horse fields for miles are just amazing to look at.  There is some serious money down there....oil, cattle, horses.

It can't hurt to play home games in front of 20,000+ and have celebrities like Clooney (from Lexington) , Ashley Judd (season tickets) and Drake frequent games.

It's still Kentucky. If the visuals a farms presents are the reason to go there, you can find that in upstate NY. For a NYer to go there as a college kid, I'm opposed to it, but I get it. For an adult, you have to be crazy.

desco80

« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2014, 12:43:28 AM »

Kids today......V

I don't know if I agree with that.
UK has plenty of promising nba stars.
Anthony Davis and Wall are future MVP candidates.
Demarcus Cousins and Blesdsoe are all star caliber
And the Brandon knight, Terrence jones, Kidd-gilchrist, and Patterson crew are all full time starters getting 25+mins a night. 

And this doesn't even take into consideration Noel, who hasn't played a game yet but was a #1 pick, or Enes Kanter who is essentially a UK one and done.  Both those guys are possibly future all-stars.
UK is getting kids to the league and producing stars.  There's really no way around that.   No other school can point to two youngs stars as good as Davis and Wall alone, forget about everybody else. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 12:48:14 AM by desco80 »

SJUFAN

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2014, 12:52:48 AM »
Kids go to different schools for different reasons. Depends on what interests they have. We wont land everyone we covet. Saw Jamal Branch in the green room at tonight's NFL draft. Great to see that he is taking advantage of his time at SJU. There is a lot SJU has to offer and with the right coach we will be a quality program. Not many programs can land top 10-20 players on a regular basis. If we should land Diallo that would be 2 in three years. I think Lavin has us on the right track. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 12:53:28 AM by SJUFAN »

Poison

« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2014, 01:11:57 AM »

Kids today......V

And the Brandon knight, Terrence jones, Kidd-gilchrist, and Patterson crew are all full time starters getting 25+mins a night. 

And this doesn't even take into consideration Noel, who hasn't played a game yet but was a #1 pick, or Enes Kanter who is essentially a UK one and done.  Both those guys are possibly future all-stars.
UK is getting kids to the league and producing stars.  There's really no way around that.   No other school can point to two youngs stars as good as Davis and Wall alone, forget about everybody else. 

I think Uconn can raise their hand and say that they are a better program than UK. Maybe not in the lottery pick category at this very moment, but they're better, because they're better than everyone. I think guys like Davis and Noel will spend their entire careers hurt, but we'll see. They could get lucky. It's been my experience that if you're getting banged up in your 20s, it's not going to improve as you get older.

desco80

« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2014, 01:20:13 AM »

Kids today......V

I think Uconn can raise their hand and say that they are a better program than UK. Maybe not in the lottery pick category at this very moment, but they're better, because they're better than everyone. I think guys like Davis and Noel will spend their entire careers hurt, but we'll see. They could get lucky. It's been my experience that if you're getting banged up in your 20s, it's not going to improve as you get older.

Noel I might agree with you on, but Davis is a stud. 

And honestly Cousins might be the most underrated player in the nba.
If he was in any team other than the kings he'd be an all star.   I'd say he's the third best center in basketball after Howard and Noah (assuming Duncan is a pf).   Right about the same level as a Marc Gasol.   

« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2014, 07:42:26 AM »
Kids go to different schools for different reasons. Depends on what interests they have. We wont land everyone we covet. Saw Jamal Branch in the green room at tonight's NFL draft. Great to see that he is taking advantage of his time at SJU. There is a lot SJU has to offer and with the right coach we will be a quality program. Not many programs can land top 10-20 players on a regular basis. If we should land Diallo that would be 2 in three years. I think Lavin has us on the right track.
I thought that was him, but wasn't positive. Pretty nice hook up.