Shamorie Ponds, G, Jefferson HS, NYC - ST JOHN'S

• 835 replies

LoganK

Re: Shamorie Ponds, G, Jefferson HS, NYC - ST JOHN'S
« Reply #360 on: September 20, 2015, 07:43:14 AM »
Yes Providence fans, your coach who dropped the n-bomb while mic'd up at the Big East Tournament WOULD play the race card:

https://youtu.be/ix9-3aMygss?t=1m27s

Listened 11 times. No racial term is spoken.

Yeah, I'm not hearing anything close to what you're saying there.
1:32 mark when he repeated the blue carpet line...slipped it in (putting one on a tee for you again, Celtics).  Hard to tell if that's what he was actually saying.  I don't like the usage, personally (not that I really have a say in whether or not its usage is ever warranted), but it was used in context rather than in a derogatory way for whatever that's worth.

Wods317

« Reply #361 on: September 20, 2015, 08:18:09 AM »
If someone had not mentioned it I wouldn't even have realized he may or may not have used that word. I would lean more to that he did not. It wouldn't make sense with the cameras on him and the context of what he's saying. I like Cooley, he bitches and moans a little too much on the sidelines for my taste but he's seems like a good coach. On the race thing if Ponds wants to be here he should be here for the quality of the coaches not because they are black or white. That said wouldn't hurt to have coach that isn't white because reality is the team is going to be predominantly made up of young black players.

« Reply #362 on: September 20, 2015, 08:45:04 AM »
If providence is the competition, we shouldn't be worried. We beat them for sampson, Sanchez, and obekpa. Did Cooley beat us for anyone that we were both in on at the end? Plus now we have even better recruiters than under the under the last regime. It'll be good to get this kid in the fold, probably our best local recruit since Harkless

paultzman

« Reply #363 on: September 20, 2015, 07:11:01 PM »
Zach B inquired today about Ponds presser this week & was told nothing has been arranged yet.

Poison

« Reply #364 on: September 20, 2015, 07:29:41 PM »
If providence is the competition, we shouldn't be worried. We beat them for sampson, Sanchez, and obekpa. Did Cooley beat us for anyone that we were both in on at the end? Plus now we have even better recruiters than under the under the last regime. It'll be good to get this kid in the fold, probably our best local recruit since Harkless

Cooley hasn't been able to compete with us during the summer. March is a different story.

derk

« Reply #365 on: September 21, 2015, 09:13:45 AM »

Yes a center or two. Was it Chukwa or another 7 footer. I forget. But this is different. They can offer a proven coach, a guaranteed starting position, and seem to have parents who might want him to go away. Though not too far. I don't like these situations where we are a lock - and then we're not. I say we're no better then 50 / 50 and the longer this goes on the worse it gets.

Also he's coached a kid who is the best player in the conference - a guard BTW.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 09:15:10 AM by derk »

« Reply #366 on: September 21, 2015, 09:32:00 AM »
Anyone know what they're saying on the PC boards? Do they seem confident?

paultzman

« Reply #367 on: September 21, 2015, 10:39:00 AM »
Relax

derk

« Reply #368 on: September 21, 2015, 11:41:59 AM »
Relax

Thanks Paultz  but it aint easy after losing Briscoe and Sampson at the end.

sju89tr

« Reply #369 on: September 21, 2015, 11:47:38 AM »
Relax

Different staff, new era

TONYD3

« Reply #370 on: September 21, 2015, 12:39:08 PM »
The race of the coaches makes some sense to me. But I would imagine St. John's is considerly more diverse then providence.

Poison

« Reply #371 on: September 21, 2015, 12:48:09 PM »
The race of the coaches makes some sense to me. But I would imagine St. John's is considerly more diverse then providence.

Who in their right mind would go to New England over Queens because it's more racially diverse? This is the same New England that threw a noose onto the ice in a failed attempt to intimidate an African American hockey player on the Canadians.

derk

« Reply #372 on: September 21, 2015, 12:54:42 PM »
Relax

Different staff, new era

We'll see. I hope it's not going to turn into an "inexperienced" coach vs an experienced one.

Tha Kid

« Reply #373 on: September 21, 2015, 01:26:34 PM »

Who in their right mind would go to New England over Queens because it's more racially diverse? This is the same New England that threw a noose onto the ice in a failed attempt to intimidate an African American hockey player on the Canadians.

Oh come on, we are getting ridiculous, one who thinks like you (in terms of very general geographical stereotyping based on isolated incidents that are not necessarily indicative of that area) could retort and "this is the same NYC where James Blake was senselessly detained with excessive force by the police (or a whole host of other things).

We are getting out of hand here analyzing stuff that I am guessing is not going into Mr. Ponds' decision --- what happened at a Bruins? game shouldnt affect whether or not he wnats to attend Providence College.  Just like what happened to James Blake should have no bearing on Shamorie's decision.

I'm not suggesting that this is impossible to factor into his thinking - I am sure it is - but our staff's rep precedes them, Mitch Richmond will supposedly be on staff, and our school is very diverse.  I do not doubt the veracity of Theo's report that a coaching staff may have tried to use this against us, but I imagine it is fairly easily refuted, if the player and family even cared to begin with.  That said, I think our overanalysis of this is giving way too much credence and thought to something that is probably not a major factor here when you think about all of the facts and circusmtances.  That said, it is possible there are OTHER reasons why The Ponds' may (or may not) want their son to play out of town that are valid.

Some kids can't handle doing what they need to do to take it to the next level with all of their high school friends around.  Some will be even more motivated knowing they are playing for their home town and in front of their home audience.  Hopefully Shamorie is the kind of guy that represents the latter and hopefully his choice of school reflects that.

But geez let's just wait for this kid to make his decision....

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 01:37:15 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #374 on: September 21, 2015, 01:51:46 PM »
Relax
Thank-you Aron Rodgers! But I think you have to spell it out R-E-L-A-X!  :)

« Reply #375 on: September 21, 2015, 02:44:31 PM »
Anyone know what they're saying on the PC boards? Do they seem confident?

They are saying it is pronounced "chowda"

Poison

« Reply #376 on: September 21, 2015, 03:51:29 PM »

Oh come on, we are getting ridiculous, one who thinks like you (in terms of very general geographical stereotyping based on isolated incidents that are not necessarily indicative of that area) could retort and "this is the same NYC where James Blake was senselessly detained with excessive force by the police (or a whole host of other things).

We are getting out of hand here analyzing stuff that I am guessing is not going into Mr. Ponds' decision --- what happened at a Bruins? game shouldnt affect whether or not he wnats to attend Providence College.  Just like what happened to James Blake should have no bearing on Shamorie's decision.

I'm not suggesting that this is impossible to factor into his thinking - I am sure it is - but our staff's rep precedes them, Mitch Richmond will supposedly be on staff, and our school is very diverse.  I do not doubt the veracity of Theo's report that a coaching staff may have tried to use this against us, but I imagine it is fairly easily refuted, if the player and family even cared to begin with.  That said, I think our overanalysis of this is giving way too much credence and thought to something that is probably not a major factor here when you think about all of the facts and circusmtances.  That said, it is possible there are OTHER reasons why The Ponds' may (or may not) want their son to play out of town that are valid.

Some kids can't handle doing what they need to do to take it to the next level with all of their high school friends around.  Some will be even more motivated knowing they are playing for their home town and in front of their home audience.  Hopefully Shamorie is the kind of guy that represents the latter and hopefully his choice of school reflects that.

But geez let's just wait for this kid to make his decision....

It was an isolated incident in the sense that one incident happens at a time.

« Reply #377 on: September 21, 2015, 05:46:10 PM »
Would love to hear how  race is an issue in college basketball

Poison

« Reply #378 on: September 21, 2015, 10:17:50 PM »
Would love to hear how  race is an issue in college basketball

The NCAA treats all D1 athletes like slaves.

« Reply #379 on: September 22, 2015, 01:17:44 PM »
Next up, Ponds checked out the hometown school St. John's.

"They are basically saying that I could be the face of the franchise for the class of 2016," said Ponds.
"I'm their No. 1 recruit and that they could put me in a good situation right away."

With the visits out of the way, Ponds and his family have gone into decision making mode. Ponds indicated that the process has been wearing on him some and that he would like to get a decision made as soon as possible, but he did not specify any exact timetable.

https://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1805621