Bubble Watch

• 420 replies
Re: Bubble Watch
« Reply #180 on: March 10, 2015, 01:45:34 AM »
Rewarding a team for 26 Sub 150 games is exactly what the NCAA does not want to do.  They want teams to schedule tough opponents.  Not to mention, going 21-5 in those games is terrible in comparison to other teams on the bubble.

Sorry to pick on Iona for the comparison, but it's a great example of piling up meaningless wins.

I guess it's right to award teams who finish 6th or 7th in their conference rather than teams dominate their conference?

6th or 7th place team in the B10 ACC B12 goes undefeated in the MAAC and wins the conference tournament without sweating so why leave the better team out just because they are in a better conference

Why bother having any mid major teams in if the regular season means nothing? Just make it the big east, ACC and big 12 tourny. Really excited to see Xavier vs Miami

« Reply #181 on: March 10, 2015, 01:48:21 AM »
Rewarding a team for 26 Sub 150 games is exactly what the NCAA does not want to do.  They want teams to schedule tough opponents.  Not to mention, going 21-5 in those games is terrible in comparison to other teams on the bubble.

Sorry to pick on Iona for the comparison, but it's a great example of piling up meaningless wins.

Every team in the bracket has meaningless wins. Some even D2 wins

That's true, but a D2 win doesn't hurt you in the eyes of the NCAA if you didn't schedule that game yourself. If you did, then yes, you should be penalized. In regards to Iona, they played a great MAAC season, but when they challenged themselves in Nov/Dec, they lost to Arkansas, which is fine, but then to George Mason and UMass.

If your best wins are Wake Forest, Indiana State and FGCU, you have very little to wave in front of the committee. Now, the point that I have not seen anyone bring up is that programs like Iona, and more so, Wichita State for example are avoided by many high majors, so I think that should be taken Into consideration.

St.John's and Seton Hall want nothing to do with Iona, and it's pretty obvious as to why.
ACC will probably stop answering the phone now too. So mid majors will get stuck scheduling bums like North Texas again. NCAA should just Take over the scheduling
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 01:49:13 AM by Marco Baldi »

LoganK

« Reply #182 on: March 10, 2015, 08:14:58 AM »
You're right.  Why base the selections on merit when we can base them on participation?  May as well catch up with everything else in this country where nothing needs to be earned anymore....

Tha Kid

« Reply #183 on: March 10, 2015, 08:46:41 AM »
Baldi

Totally understand why you are pissed and I'm sorry Iona missed the dance.

That said they didn't play the type of schedule to get an at large with as many bad losses as they had.  Gotta win the couple big games they have. Sucks but way it is.  They could improve their scheduling within mid major out of conference too...
"I drink and I know things"

boo3

« Reply #184 on: March 10, 2015, 08:56:05 AM »
They should stop ducking StJ.

« Reply #185 on: March 10, 2015, 09:07:11 AM »
Baldi... I understand what your saying  but it's  part of the magic of march madness.  Starting in March whether you are 0-30 or 30-0...every team has a chance to win the whole thing except Ivy league.  I don't want that taken away and 68 teams is already too much.  Wish they would go back to 64. 
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #186 on: March 10, 2015, 10:38:25 AM »

I guess it's right to award teams who finish 6th or 7th in their conference rather than teams dominate their conference?

6th or 7th place team in the B10 ACC B12 goes undefeated in the MAAC and wins the conference tournament without sweating so why leave the better team out just because they are in a better conference

Why bother having any mid major teams in if the regular season means nothing? Just make it the big east, ACC and big 12 tourny. Really excited to see Xavier vs Miami

You are an Iona fan so of course you would rather see Iona play Xavier instead of Miami or Iona play Miami instead of Xavier. But with that said Miami and Xavier fans would rather see their team play instead of Iona.

Tha Kid

« Reply #187 on: March 10, 2015, 10:41:50 AM »

You are an Iona fan so of course you would rather see Iona play Xavier instead of Miami or Iona play Miami instead of Xavier. But with that said Miami and Xavier fans would rather see their team play instead of Iona.

Why would we want to see Iona get thrashed by Xavier?  Iona hasnt beaten a top 100 team all year.  A team with that resume has no business in the big dance unless they win their conf. tourney, I'm sorry.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #188 on: March 10, 2015, 10:45:24 AM »
They should stop ducking StJ.

LOL 

IMO, St. John's would've rocked Iona this season.

As, others have said, Iona should improve their non-conference schedule.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 10:46:03 AM by mjdinkins »

TONYD3

« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2015, 10:48:24 AM »
I woukd rather play Iona and Manhattan the long beach st. And Tulane

« Reply #190 on: March 10, 2015, 11:53:20 AM »

I'm 100% with you Baldi.  teams like Texas, finishing 8th out of 10 teams in conference, have no business being in the tourney. The committee originally was saying they wanted to reward the good mid-majors that play solid OOC games, so let them stick to that.

The reality is those power conference teams that are 8 seeds or higher have no shot to win it all.  the days of Villanova are long gone.  i'd rather have some teams I never see trying to pull off a legitimate upset out of the 11-16 seeds.

« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2015, 11:53:43 AM »
I was not talking about Iona or any particular mid major.  But a team like Murray St wins 25 games in a row and they get no bid?

« Reply #192 on: March 10, 2015, 12:01:24 PM »
I was not talking about Iona or any particular mid major.  But a team like Murray St wins 25 games in a row and they get no bid?
Exactly.  That's what put Jay Williams on tilt.

For these power conference teams, it's survival of the fittest.  7th, 8th place finishes in conference scream NIT.  Racers should get an at-large in my book

« Reply #193 on: March 10, 2015, 12:05:08 PM »

Why would we want to see Iona get thrashed by Xavier?  Iona hasnt beaten a top 100 team all year.  A team with that resume has no business in the big dance unless they win their conf. tourney, I'm sorry.

Agree 100%.

« Reply #194 on: March 10, 2015, 12:05:37 PM »

For these power conference teams, it's survival of the fittest.  7th, 8th place finishes in conference scream NIT.  Racers should get an at-large in my book

I agree, the Racers should be in the tournament.  I still could see them receiving a bid, as a 12 seed.

« Reply #195 on: March 10, 2015, 12:10:27 PM »

I agree, the Racers should be in the tournament.  I still could see them receiving a bid, as a 12 seed.

It sucks that they missed the tournament due to a 1 pt loss but they really didn't beat anyone this year.

desco80

« Reply #196 on: March 10, 2015, 01:07:25 PM »
I like Iona, but this isn't their best team in recent years.   And in this particular season, I would rather see Murray State, Texas, Xavier, or an Indiana in the tournament because I think any of those teams could win 2+ games under the right conditions.   Under no condition do I see the Gaels being able to beat anyone in the tournament this year.

LoganK

« Reply #197 on: March 10, 2015, 05:57:07 PM »
3/10/15

Championship/bubble games:

NEC: Robert Morris (18-14) @ St. Francis (23-10)-

Horizon: Green Bay (24-7) @ Valparaiso (27-5) -

Summit: North Dakota St. (22-9) @ South Dakota St (23-9) -

WCC/bubble: BYU (25-8) @ Gonzaga (31-2) - I think the committee might give a bid to BYU even with a loss.  They've rewarded teams for finals losses before, and BYU is right on that cut line.  Experts keep saying this team is better than their profile.  If they win, this paragraph will be moot.

« Reply #198 on: March 10, 2015, 09:45:30 PM »

ON THE BUBBLE

Last Four Byes
LSU
Ole Miss
Oklahoma State
Purdue

Last Four In
BYU
Temple
Texas
Indiana

First Four Out
Miami (FL)
Old Dominion
Tulsa
Texas A&M

Next Four Out
UCLA
Illinois
Murray State
Iona

LoganK

« Reply #199 on: March 11, 2015, 07:05:05 AM »
3/10/15

Championship/bubble games:

NEC: Robert Morris (18-14) @ St. Francis (23-10)-  Robert Morris heads to the dance

Horizon: Green Bay (24-7) @ Valparaiso (27-5) - Valparaiso takes the Horizon league, looking like a 13 seed or so.

Summit: North Dakota St. (22-9) @ South Dakota St (23-9) - The Bison stampede the Jackrabbits to take the Summit (sorry, just wanted to write jack rabbit)

WCC/bubble: BYU (25-8) @ Gonzaga (31-2) - Should be interesting to see what happens to BYU.  Gonzaga shocks the world and makes the tournament :P
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 07:05:37 AM by LoganK »