Jalen Gaffney - PG - Westtown School (PA) - Columbus, NJ - UCONN

• 67 replies

Foad

Re: Jalen Gaffney - PG - Westtown School (PA) - Columbus, NJ
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2018, 02:24:56 PM »
Braziller does not have a clue what he is talking about. 

And you do. Thanks Jimmy Olsen Junior. Great Caesar's Ghost.

Re: Jalen Gaffney - PG - Westtown School (PA) - Columbus, NJ - UCONN
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2018, 04:18:26 PM »
Braziller does not have a clue what he is talking about. 

And you do. Thanks Jimmy Olsen Junior. Great Caesar's Ghost.

Yes but only as Jimmy Olson.

But what he is inferring doesn't make any sense.  If the staff felt for 1 second that rumors about a potential staff move was impacting their recruiting they have the ability to pick up the phone and call the recruit and set the record straight since presumably Mullin would KNOW about his OWN staff.  Therefore that would put an end to anything.  If they didn't that is on them not the fanbase/rumor mill.

And what is he really saying, Gaffney really would have committed to a staff of Mullin, Matt A, Richmond and St. Jean (in other words the CURRENT STAFF) if not for the rumor that Rice would replace Richmond.  He was so disappointed about a staff change that never happened it would have been better of no rumor happened therefore he still would not have the ability to play for Rice at SJU but would somehow feel more comfortable with the current staff at SJU as opposed to feeling comfortable with the same staff at SJU.  Makes perfect sense.

Foad

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2018, 04:56:28 PM »
But what he is inferring doesn't make any sense.  If the staff felt for 1 second that rumors about a potential staff move was impacting their recruiting they have the ability to pick up the phone and call the recruit and set the record straight since presumably Mullin would KNOW about his OWN staff.  Therefore that would put an end to anything.  If they didn't that is on them not the fanbase/rumor mill.

He wasn't really inferring anything. He was reporting a rumor - like the one that alleged that Rice was coming on board. A rumor spread BTW by the same poster who alleged that Matt A was bolting last summer for LSU, which rumor was the fodder for endless speculation last summer, because every summer we need to have long tedious conversations about assistant coaches, like the ones they have at dook and Kentucky and Kansas and all the other programs we pretend to emulate. Ed note: that was sarcasm.

Moreover - and perhaps this is where your inference implication falls short - Mullin and company wouldn't have known that Gaffney was butt hurt about rumors about Rice - unless Gaffney picked up the phone and called Mullin and staff and said 'Gee I was going to come there except I heard rumors about you on boarding Rice to corral my team mates and that made my butt hurt so now I'm going to Uconn.' All I hear about D Hurley - from you and others - is that he's a tireless worker who's a great coach and a great recruiter who would have been a great choice to replace stupid Steve Lavin. If that's the case losing a recruit to him seems not to have anything to do with what Mullin did or didn't do and everything to do with Hurley's hunger and skill. In which case Mullin should be lauded for getting as far as he did with Gaffney, he being lazy and Richmond being shiftless and GSJ being a teenager and Matic being a corrupt so and so and whatever else the rumor mill alleges.

Whether any of these rumors contained kernels of truth I have no idea. None turned out to be true. Re this recruit who I couldn't pick out of a line up, it seems a capricious reason to choose a college. But kids are kids, and especially these kids, comprising as they do the stupidest generation since cro-magnon man walked the earth and walked is me being generous, because they were barely upright. I wish him all the success Doug Wiggins had. Me, I'm looking forward to the season, which mercifully starts soon, so I don't have to digest rumors - you may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of an underdone potato - and interpret avatars and read the same regurgitated over blown interpretations of rumors alleging allegations of nonsense. I cannot wait until they roll out the balls already. I smell a sweet 16. Smells like victory. As usual, ymmv.

QuanMan

« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2018, 06:45:47 PM »
Those who read the tea leaves on these boards have known for over a month that Gaffney wasn't happening. Bishop visited with Hatten once in the Spring and we overestimated his interest as fans there as well. Jaylin Williams was a shot in the dark late and Scottie became one of the hottest recruits in the country.

Honestly, I'm not on the ledge just yet for 2019. When I will be is if we don't land one of the stud front court targets of Aidan/Precious/Kofi. We're barren in the bigs department and 1/3 would have us realigned just fine for 19'-20'. Put one of them next to Keita and that's more than formidable.

Our backcourt situation is just fine for the coming years. In all honesty our biggest 2019 backcourt recruit is retaining Justin as a 5th year captain, face of the program. When Shamorie and Heron declare next Spring, Justin should be given the keys to the car. Plug in Mikey, GWill, LJF, Bryan and Wright around him we're still deep and talented. Add a 2019 surprise HS senior and a transfer after a successful season and I'm not complaining.

To sum it up, my position as of tonight isn't flummoxed by 2019 guards looking elsewhere right now. We could go 5 deep at PG/SG on paper 19'-20', 1 deep @SF (LJF). That'll solve itself over the course of a year.

My priorities right now are with Heron's eligibility, getting a marquee 2019 big, and having this current team gel in practice to the point of the entire city will be talking about this program all Winter.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2018, 07:58:11 PM »
Those who read the tea leaves on these boards have known for over a month that Gaffney wasn't happening. Bishop visited with Hatten once in the Spring and we overestimated his interest as fans there as well. Jaylin Williams was a shot in the dark late and Scottie became one of the hottest recruits in the country.

Honestly, I'm not on the ledge just yet for 2019. When I will be is if we don't land one of the stud front court targets of Aidan/Precious/Kofi. We're barren in the bigs department and 1/3 would have us realigned just fine for 19'-20'. Put one of them next to Keita and that's more than formidable.

Our backcourt situation is just fine for the coming years. In all honesty our biggest 2019 backcourt recruit is retaining Justin as a 5th year captain, face of the program. When Shamorie and Heron declare next Spring, Justin should be given the keys to the car. Plug in Mikey, GWill, LJF, Bryan and Wright around him we're still deep and talented. Add a 2019 surprise HS senior and a transfer after a successful season and I'm not complaining.

To sum it up, my position as of tonight isn't flummoxed by 2019 guards looking elsewhere right now. We could go 5 deep at PG/SG on paper 19'-20', 1 deep @SF (LJF). That'll solve itself over the course of a year.

My priorities right now are with Heron's eligibility, getting a marquee 2019 big, and having this current team gel in practice to the point of the entire city will be talking about this program all Winter.

Quanpoint
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Johnny23

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2018, 08:42:02 PM »
More of the same in Johnny land. Pressure's on Mullin. Better produce this year or it's never going to get any better. Tough spot.

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2018, 07:56:37 AM »
OUCH

Zach Braziller

Verified account

@NYPost_Brazille
 2h2 hours ago

One thing I had heard about Jalen Gaffney. All the talk about St. John's hiring Mike Rice to land his AAU teammate, Scottie Lewis, hurt them here. He became an afterthought somewhat. They were initially in great shape for him. Just a theory someone connected suggested. #sjubb

Hmmm. Who started that rumor, where was it discussed interminably, and who is evidently to blame for Gafney to Uconn. Stay tuned, I'll be posting clues to the answer in my avatar.

I don't think he's right nor is he wrong. Gaffney was upset about being looked at as 2nd tier to the "Rio Trio" of Scottie, Bryan, and Aiden. It hurt them this spring/summer.

It some regards I think Jalen was the best at creating his own shot in others I thought he was mopey and too emotional which I'm really curious how that plays with Hurley bc he does not have patience for that.

As it goes for Mike Rice I'm not sure that helps/hurts in any way. What I think hurt overall is the school balked for too long which prevented Rice from being able to recruit his own guys while others were. My gut says Aiden to Louisville and Scottie to Florida btw.

I'm happy for Jaden though. He carves out his own path which he's been seeking and hope it works out for him. He's been a favorite of mine for a while.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2018, 09:17:48 AM »
BTW-After he a quick twitter conversation with Gaffney's dad, Braziller took down the speculative tweet.