NCAA Tournament thread

• 731 replies
Re: NCAA Tournament thread
« Reply #580 on: March 21, 2015, 11:02:50 PM »
And just remember when you start judging coaches soley on post-season success.

Since Villanova made the Final Four in 2009 Jay Wright has not gotten Nova to the second week yet.  Remember in 2010 they barely beat Mike Rice and Robert Morris as a 2 seed before being knocked out by St. Mary's.  Lost in the 8/9 to George Mason in 2011.  Failed to make it in 2012.  Lost in the 8/9 game to UNC in 2013, lost to UCONN as a 2 seed last year in the round of 32 and just lost as a 1 seed to NC St again in the round of 32.

And guess what, Georgetown is even "worse."  Since they made the Final Four in 2007 they have failed to make it to the round of 16 for the last 8 years.  Two times they were an NIT team, 2009 and 2014.  In 2008 as a 2 seed they lost in the Round of 32 to of course Seth Curry and Davidson.  2010 lost to Ohio as the 3 seed in the round of 64.  2011 lost again right off the bat as a 6 seed to 11 seed VCU.  2012 they got to round of 32 as a 3 losing to 11 seeded NC St.  2013 they were a 2 seed and lost right off the bat to 15 seed Florida Gulf Coast.  And now this year.

These are probably the 2 best programs not to mention the two best AND longest serving coaches in the BE and neither one as gotten to the second week in 6 and 8 years.  Think about that.

I guess winning the BET doesn't count as post-season success

No I never said that but what is your point.  And to that they have a combined 1 title in that span.

Here is the bottom line they are both great coaches and great programs but think about this since 2007 Georgetown has a been a 3 seed twice and a 2 seed twice.  Villanova since 2009 has a been a 2 seed twice and a 1 seed once.  So in essence both teams combined since their last Final Four appearances have 7 seasons where they were  1,2 or 3 seed.  Meaning legit Final Four contenders.  And none of those years have they even produced a Round of 16 appearance.  Not one.

Not sure what your point is. So because JT3 and Wright lose early the NCAA tournament does that mean Lavin shouldn't be held accountable for his lack of NCAA tourney success here? Do your comments relate to Lavin at all or are you just speaking in generalities?

Also, Coach K has been bounced early in the tournament several times the past few years after having really good regular seasons. So has Bill Self. So has Roy Williams. So has Bo Ryan. In one-game tournaments that stuff happens

I answered that and you are making my point.  People are putting too much weight on the game last night.  If you think Lavin is not the right guy then last night winning or losing should have no bearing.

« Reply #581 on: March 21, 2015, 11:09:28 PM »
It's not just about the results. The easy argument to make against Lavin isn't "just two tourney appearances in 5 years", but rather the direction the program is headed.

Our only two potential starters still on our roster are gigantic question marks where nobody here would be surprised if either of them left the program to play in Taiwan next year.

We have 3 recruits signed up for next year. All 3 are guards and only 1 is viewed as an impact recruit.

Our entire recruiting class from a year ago resulted in 2 ineligibles, 1 average recruit (Amar), and a bunch of "recruited" walk-on guards.

We just played in an NCAA tournament game with our entire bench consisting of possibly the two worst players in the Big East (JDR and Jones) and previously aforementioned average freshman.

I think it's easy to sit here and see how despite him taking the program in a positive direction---most of that was that initial class and splash he made with the first year. Ever since then, it's been getting worse. And now that class is entirely gone and we're left with nothing but question marks.

Now before I get pegged as a Lavin hater, I'm about 50/50 on firing and extending (leaning a bit more towards firing).  I definitely do appreciate the initial class he brought in and the Obekpa/Jordan recruitments. I do also think the team was better coached this year (although it isn't saying much...plus they were mostly seniors....)

The one thing I don't want is taking no action and forcing him to be a lame duck.

« Reply #582 on: March 21, 2015, 11:29:17 PM »
I know for a fact that Lavin will make the tourney 3 times in the next five years; then 4 times in the five years after that.  In fifteen years, we will be Duke.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 11:29:42 PM by simplyred »

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #583 on: March 22, 2015, 01:13:48 AM »
Well, BE just got slaughter again...Thank God for Xavier. At least the BE improved from last year.
Cougar O' Malley

Marillac

« Reply #584 on: March 22, 2015, 01:44:01 AM »
Well, BE just got slaughter again...Thank God for Xavier. At least the BE improved from last year.

Hahaha and Xavier is only standing because they got gifted a 14 seed in the second round.  We need them to win one more or the analysts will be all over us.  Is the ACC 9-0?  I heard that in the Butler game...if so, gross.

« Reply #585 on: March 22, 2015, 01:47:18 AM »
Notre Dame beats Butler. Mike Brey lost his mom today.

« Reply #586 on: March 22, 2015, 09:41:21 AM »
ACC and the Pac 12 are undefeated so far

« Reply #587 on: March 22, 2015, 09:47:52 AM »
I know Randy Freer and the Fox ppl are not happy!

« Reply #588 on: March 22, 2015, 09:59:26 AM »

1 team to the sweet 16 in 2 years is awful. How many bids did big east get last year?

« Reply #589 on: March 22, 2015, 10:26:56 AM »
4 last but I in play in game.

6 out of 10 this year is a great number. 4-2 on day 1. Would have liked to see 3 advance to Sweet 16.  Big 12 - which got 7 and is the highest rated conference - is 3-4 thus far and I think will lose 2 more today.  Better way to rate a conference is to see how it performs throughout the year, not in one and done format.

Moose

« Reply #590 on: March 22, 2015, 10:29:49 AM »
This is why the BE needs two more teams. Create more separation from top to bottom of League and avoids teams beating eachother up
Remember who broke the Slice news

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #591 on: March 22, 2015, 10:31:19 AM »
4 last but I in play in game.

6 out of 10 this year is a great number. 4-2 on day 1. Would have liked to see 3 advance to Sweet 16.  Big 12 - which got 7 and is the highest rated conference - is 3-4 thus far and I think will lose 2 more today.  Better way to rate a conference is to see how it performs throughout the year, not in one and done format.

People don't remember the regular season, it's all about the playoffs. See the NY Giants Super Bowl runs. The Yankees won more games I. The 80s then any other team, does anybody know/ care about that star?
The Big 12 has football so they will always be considered a major conference....The BE defiantly improved but being almost wiped out two years in a row in the first weekend is not good to say the least...
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #592 on: March 22, 2015, 10:31:28 AM »
If we get 6 out of 10 every year Moose the conference will be in great shape. Need to keep scheduling strong OOC because those wins really helped the RPI. 

« Reply #593 on: March 22, 2015, 10:33:37 AM »
Fox doesn't carry the tournament games. Obviously it helps the conference brand to go deeper but 6 bids makes the season a success. It's a long term play for Fox, and the BE took a step forward this year.  If Nova made the elite 8, would Fox ratings improve next season as a result? I'd bet no impact.

LoganK

« Reply #594 on: March 22, 2015, 10:42:22 AM »

1 team to the sweet 16 in 2 years is awful. How many bids did big east get last year?
So the Big 12 also sucks and last year the AAC was the best conference in the country?

« Reply #595 on: March 22, 2015, 11:02:20 AM »

So the Big 12 also sucks and last year the AAC was the best conference in the country?

No. But maybe some conferences are a bit overrated

LoganK

« Reply #596 on: March 22, 2015, 12:58:38 PM »
I disagree, but that's fair enough.
My view would be that the BE has been looked at as a major conference the last two years rather than a high-major (power 5 or whatever).  That leaves it underrated IMO.

« Reply #597 on: March 22, 2015, 01:01:02 PM »
Tom Izzo is amazing.

« Reply #598 on: March 22, 2015, 01:25:10 PM »
Think it is hard to characterize the strength/weakness of conferences based on how teams perform in a one-and-done format (taking into account matchups, etc).  Better analysis is how a conference performs against others throughout the year.

LoganK

« Reply #599 on: March 22, 2015, 01:43:42 PM »
Think it is hard to characterize the strength/weakness of conferences based on how teams perform in a one-and-done format (taking into account matchups, etc).  Better analysis is how a conference performs against others throughout the year.
This ^