Recruiting Outlook

• 150 replies

redslope

Re: Recruiting Outlook
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2015, 11:27:44 AM »
President could've told all the professors to bring their classes to the press conference.

Also was 1:30 the best time to do the press conference? No idea just wondering.
Yes--it gave local TV to be there and make the 5PM news (and later).  Gave print guys time to write and get to Indianapolis to cover final 4.  In addition, it got Chris interview with our "Illustious" alumni on FAN and let FS 1 eat into his TV time and cover the conference which was better than Mike's bloviating.

Johnny23

« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2015, 11:28:58 AM »
I did like what I heard out of the new President. He seems fully committed to making this a big-time basketball program again.

hnk

« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2015, 11:29:45 AM »
And gave him plenty of time for recruiting calls after all that was over.

desco80

« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2015, 11:30:28 AM »
President could've told all the professors to bring their classes to the press conference.

To the consternation of many professors. Placing athletics over academics. Very few complaints from the students.

I love the basketball team, but I would be up in arms if a professor ever encouraged us to miss class for an athletics-related press conference.
Completely unacceptable.   

« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2015, 11:46:59 AM »

Also was 1:30 the best time to do the press conference? No idea just wondering.
Yes--it gave local TV to be there and make the 5PM news (and later).  Gave print guys time to write and get to Indianapolis to cover final 4.  In addition, it got Chris interview with our "Illustious" alumni on FAN and let FS 1 eat into his TV time and cover the conference which was better than Mike's bloviating.

Good points.

« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2015, 12:12:32 PM »

To the consternation of many professors. Placing athletics over academics. Very few complaints from the students.

I love the basketball team, but I would be up in arms if a professor ever encouraged us to miss class for an athletics-related press conference.
Completely unacceptable.
I am supposed to be laughing hysterically right now, no?

desco80

« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2015, 12:19:23 PM »

Completely unacceptable.

priorities.

At the end of the day sports is just a form of entertainment.   

« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2015, 12:23:54 PM »

Completely unacceptable.

priorities.

Would be a good way to maybe drum up some support or school pride for some who otherwise could care less

desco80

« Reply #128 on: April 02, 2015, 12:27:23 PM »

Completely unacceptable.

priorities.

Would be a good way to maybe drum up some support or school pride for some who otherwise could care less

I'm with you on that.
But there are only so many class hours in a semester.  14 weeks.
And it sends the wrong message, that sports is more important than class.   

boo3

« Reply #129 on: April 02, 2015, 12:29:50 PM »
 Lets be honest, St Johns has a very large and diverse student base.  Not everyone cares about basketball..  COuple that with the fact this was kind of a last minute thing as well as being "get-away" day for Easter break.. I'm sure a lot of kids had arrangements to get out of dodge that they weren't going to change for an introductory presser...  Plus, the crowd was great from all accounts?  How many did you expect?  6k?   

goredmen

« Reply #130 on: April 02, 2015, 12:30:31 PM »

Completely unacceptable.

priorities.

I'm with you on that.
But there are only so many class hours in a semester.  14 weeks.
And it sends the wrong message, that sports is more important than class.   

Not to mention theres been a ton of closures/late openings because of snow this semester

« Reply #131 on: April 02, 2015, 12:33:40 PM »
1 hour of missed class won't destroy your college experience

« Reply #132 on: April 02, 2015, 12:34:25 PM »

Completely unacceptable.

priorities.

It sure is.  I was joking.  No professors would have let me out of class.  We would get written up if we missed more than three classes per semester (Manhattan - I think they might still have that rule)

sju89tr

« Reply #133 on: April 02, 2015, 01:00:27 PM »

Completely unacceptable.

priorities.

It sure is.  I was joking.  No professors would have let me out of class.  We would get written up if we missed more than three classes per semester (Manhattan - I think they might still have that rule)

Kids miss a lot of classes these days. I was always afraid to miss as I did not want to create extra work for myself. My kid is a student athlete and they never check on his missed classes.

« Reply #134 on: April 02, 2015, 01:17:45 PM »
He only averaged 3 turnovers per game.   

Only?  That 3 average led the team by a lot and he played a lot less minutes than the senior three. His assist/to ratio was terrible for a guard.  Plus, who can forget against Gonzaga when he threw the game with a conference record? nine turnovers.

« Reply #135 on: April 02, 2015, 01:18:47 PM »

Completely unacceptable.

priorities.

Kids miss a lot of classes these days. I was always afraid to miss as I did not want to create extra work for myself. My kid is a student athlete and they never check on his missed classes.
Does your son go to a big school, or is it smaller?  The professors with those big auditorium classes of 300-500 students don't seem to mind.   

hnk

« Reply #136 on: April 02, 2015, 01:21:34 PM »
As the season went on Jordan largely corrected his turnover issue.

« Reply #137 on: April 02, 2015, 01:23:13 PM »

Jordan was great down the stretch. Should he return, he will be the best talent in the Big East.

paultzman

« Reply #138 on: April 02, 2015, 07:13:32 PM »
@AdamZagoria: St. John's coach Chris Mullin offered 6-10 2018 Naz Reid of Roselle Catholic today, per his coach. Good idea, kid is a beast.

« Reply #139 on: April 02, 2015, 07:13:45 PM »

Jordan was great down the stretch. Should he return, he will be the best talent in the Big East.

Agree 100% iff  Kris Dunn doesnt stay.  Still would be close.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.