Shamorie Ponds, G, Jefferson HS, NYC - ST JOHN'S

• 835 replies

Marillac

Re: Shamorie Ponds, G, Jefferson HS, NYC - ST JOHN'S
« Reply #180 on: August 06, 2015, 03:06:13 AM »
Ponds and Lovett backcourt could be scary for opponents

Ridiculous

Starting to think a Ponds commitment will put a little fear in Heron after the Rucker Park game.  Heron guarded Ponds on some possessions and it wasn't pretty from the highlights.  Prior to that I felt pretty confident that Heron wouldn't think twice about playing over him.

Moose

« Reply #181 on: August 06, 2015, 08:53:44 AM »

Ridiculous

Starting to think a Ponds commitment will put a little fear in Heron after the Rucker Park game.  Heron guarded Ponds on some possessions and it wasn't pretty from the highlights.  Prior to that I felt pretty confident that Heron wouldn't think twice about playing over him.

Oh god...........................
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #182 on: August 06, 2015, 09:04:46 AM »

Ridiculous

Really? Heron is one of most confident players out there.  Quite a leap there Matillac.

Tha Kid

« Reply #183 on: August 06, 2015, 09:42:36 AM »

Ridiculous

Really? Heron is one of most confident players out there.  Quite a leap there Matillac.

Classic Marillac hyperbole.
"I drink and I know things"

MCNPA

« Reply #184 on: August 06, 2015, 10:04:51 AM »
While marillac definitely has a knack for the hyperbole, I will say that I didn't see the 6'5" Heron vs 6'0" Ponds height difference.  Looked like they were a lot closer in height than that.  Likely Heron more in the 6'3" range I'd guess.   The other thing is that I think Ponds has proven to be at a very similar level to Heron, even though they are different players, and we should be thrilled with that if we can land a commit from him.  We won't be getting a second tier player in any way with Ponds.   I really love Ponds ability to both handle, get to the hole and hit long shots with ease.

ras

« Reply #185 on: August 06, 2015, 11:32:59 AM »
While marillac definitely has a knack for the hyperbole, I will say that I didn't see the 6'5" Heron vs 6'0" Ponds height difference.  Looked like they were a lot closer in height than that.  Likely Heron more in the 6'3" range I'd guess.   The other thing is that I think Ponds has proven to be at a very similar level to Heron, even though they are different players, and we should be thrilled with that if we can land a commit from him.  We won't be getting a second tier player in any way with Ponds.   I really love Ponds ability to both handle, get to the hole and hit long shots with ease.
I think I read Ponds is more like 6 3.

« Reply #186 on: August 06, 2015, 01:37:34 PM »

By the end of this thread he will be 6-10 and Marillac will have him challenging Malik Monk as a better player.

Marillac

« Reply #187 on: August 06, 2015, 02:14:13 PM »

Ridiculous

Not sure why everyone is freaking out.  Fear was probably a poor word choice.  I don't know how much familiarity the two have playing on different circuits and being from different areas.  I assumed a commitment from Ponds wouldn't affect Heron in the slightest given the size difference and Heron's ranking and confidence.  The gap in rankings has narrowed substantially and Ponds has proven to Heron and everyone else that he's a legit player and one of the best scorers in the country. 

It might make Heron and others hesitate.  If I was his Heron's shoes, it would definitely be a factor.  Scorers like Ponds don't tend to sit and the roster already has a top 100 pure PG, a nice combo in Mussini, and Ellison. Clearly Marillac takes Ponds now at any cost.

Marillac

« Reply #188 on: August 06, 2015, 02:15:50 PM »

By the end of this thread he will be 6-10 and Marillac will have him challenging Malik Monk as a better player.

Are you finished?

paultzman

« Reply #189 on: August 07, 2015, 02:02:54 PM »

@AdamZagoria: 2016 G @ShamorieP : 'My decision is coming real soon.'
St. John's, Minny, Providence, Creighton.

paultzman

« Reply #190 on: August 07, 2015, 02:29:33 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Shamorie Ponds says his decision is "coming real soon," per @AdamZagoria. Would seem to favor #sjubb heavily.

Wods317

« Reply #191 on: August 07, 2015, 03:04:37 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Shamorie Ponds says his decision is "coming real soon," per @AdamZagoria. Would seem to favor #sjubb heavily.

Seemingly this would mean he is not taking all of these visits then because that would be over a month from now.

paultzman

« Reply #192 on: August 07, 2015, 03:06:09 PM »

Seemingly this would mean he is not taking all of these visits then because that would be over a month from now.
Correct, "real soon"

paultzman

« Reply #193 on: August 08, 2015, 10:24:49 PM »
@CNG_Staszewski: @ShamorieP will visit #sjubb August 18-20. Expects a decison as early as late September, but definitely before the season.

Wods317

« Reply #194 on: August 08, 2015, 10:40:52 PM »
@CNG_Staszewski: @ShamorieP will visit #sjubb August 18-20. Expects a decison as early as late September, but definitely before the season.

So much for not taking his visits. Stuff changes day to day.

paultzman

« Reply #195 on: August 10, 2015, 12:16:09 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Also, been told Shamorie Ponds official is August 28-30, not 18-20, as has been reported. #sjubb

paultzman

« Reply #196 on: August 12, 2015, 09:12:16 AM »
@AdamZagoria: Big couple of weeks for 2016 Thomas Jefferson G @ShamorieP . Was invited to Elite 24 on Aug. 22 & visits St. John's Aug. 28-30.

paultzman

« Reply #197 on: August 14, 2015, 07:42:09 PM »
@jeffborzello: Twenty-four top-100 prospects are headed to New York next week for the Elite 24 game. Complete rosters: http://t.co/u0P8Xhy8xJ

« Reply #198 on: August 14, 2015, 08:06:27 PM »
No heron? Hmm. Good for ponds. Wonder if we still have a shot at hamidou. Also why not go after seventh woods? all this talk of heron getting swiped from us when it was all but sure he was coming here due to sneaker connections.  Woods is a UA kid who after cursory research is looking at south Carolina (UA school) and UNC (losing out on kids with proverbial ncaa black cloud).  Why can't we beat out them and use these "sneaker connections to our advantage? Woods seems like a special talent. Maybe there is something with his story that I'm missing .
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 08:07:17 PM by shaun1345 »

« Reply #199 on: August 14, 2015, 11:48:41 PM »
No heron? Hmm. Good for ponds. Wonder if we still have a shot at hamidou. Also why not go after seventh woods? all this talk of heron getting swiped from us when it was all but sure he was coming here due to sneaker connections.  Woods is a UA kid who after cursory research is looking at south Carolina (UA school) and UNC (losing out on kids with proverbial ncaa black cloud).  Why can't we beat out them and use these "sneaker connections to our advantage? Woods seems like a special talent. Maybe there is something with his story that I'm missing .

Woods is a special talent.  Super athlete, but he needs to hone his jumper (albeit has gotten a bit better).  He's learning to man the point guard position, as well.  He's a kid who probably doesn't have a true position on the floor, but he'll be just fine in the collegiate game.  Just put him on the floor, and he'll fit in somewhere.

I've also wondered why we didn't go after him, either.  I threw his name out a couple years ago to an assistant on the previous staff.