Jonathan Severe - SG - Christ the King HS - New York, N.Y. - FORDHAM

• 676 replies

Moose

Re: Jonathan Severe - SG - Christ the King HS - New York, N.Y. - FORDHAM
« Reply #640 on: November 26, 2013, 08:18:49 PM »
22 points at halftime vs manhattan

Don't worry.  We got two other threads with it mentioned already :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #641 on: November 26, 2013, 10:09:40 PM »
22 points at halftime vs manhattan

Don't worry.  We got two other threads with it mentioned already :)

When it gets to 40 sell....

Marillac

« Reply #642 on: November 27, 2013, 08:18:55 PM »
This is the kind of kid that walks in and is averaging next to 20 ppg as a soph at a mid-major, and everyone wonders where he came from.  More than half of the top 100 are kids that are there because of potential.  This kid can score, but he'll be overlooked for some top 50 kid that can't dribble with his left han but is 6'6 and can dunk the ball between his legs on a fastbreak. 

Would have been nice if someone on the staff shared these thoughts. 

Moose

« Reply #643 on: November 27, 2013, 08:27:22 PM »
This is the kind of kid that walks in and is averaging next to 20 ppg as a soph at a mid-major, and everyone wonders where he came from.  More than half of the top 100 are kids that are there because of potential.  This kid can score, but he'll be overlooked for some top 50 kid that can't dribble with his left han but is 6'6 and can dunk the ball between his legs on a fastbreak. 

Would have been nice if someone on the staff shared these thoughts. 

Modest much?

Poison

« Reply #644 on: November 27, 2013, 09:12:49 PM »
Let's see how Fordham does this season. If he's really that good, he'll probably consider transferring out after realizing that will finish towards the bottom in the A10 even if they are improved. He could sit out a year, and replace Harrison.

MCNPA

« Reply #645 on: November 27, 2013, 11:17:29 PM »
I'd hsve liked him here... Chris Fouch too...  We have a hard time scoring.  Anybody who thinks we cant use more scorers is crazy, regardless of league.  We need shooters and scorers, period!  We are missing PG's, SG's and SF's that can shoot.  If we had em, Lavin's offense would never even have been questioned.  I hope Lavin looks to add these types over next few years.  We don't have them now.  Congrats to Severe who is pplaying very well.

« Reply #646 on: November 29, 2013, 01:12:20 AM »
I'd hsve liked him here... Chris Fouch too...  We have a hard time scoring.  Anybody who thinks we cant use more scorers is crazy, regardless of league.  We need shooters and scorers, period!  We are missing PG's, SG's and SF's that can shoot.  If we had em, Lavin's offense would never even have been questioned.  I hope Lavin looks to add these types over next few years.  We don't have them now.  Congrats to Severe who is pplaying very well.
Who hacked into MCNPA"s computer?  :)

MCNPA

« Reply #647 on: November 29, 2013, 06:35:52 AM »
Who hacked into MCNPA"s computer?  :)

I always thought Severe would have been a good addition because we needed extra shooting/scoring.  Not in lieu of Jordan of course, but would have been nice to have another shooter/scorer.  This is nothing new from me. 

pmg911

« Reply #648 on: November 29, 2013, 07:56:41 AM »
Its great to see a NYC kid doing well but lets not get out of control on the praise here...

The knock on the kid in high school was that he was a chucker and scored in bunches because he took such a large quantity of shots..    nothing has changed in college...     multiple high levels kids looked him over and over and over - and passed on offering him a scholarship.

He is not doing anything different at Fordham...   38.8 minutes per game and in 5 games and is shooting 40% from the field....

Poison

« Reply #649 on: November 29, 2013, 11:50:33 AM »
Its great to see a NYC kid doing well but lets not get out of control on the praise here...

The knock on the kid in high school was that he was a chucker and scored in bunches because he took such a large quantity of shots..    nothing has changed in college...     multiple high levels kids looked him over and over and over - and passed on offering him a scholarship.

He is not doing anything different at Fordham...   38.8 minutes per game and in 5 games and is shooting 40% from the field....

You've just described Harrison. Nicely done.

« Reply #650 on: November 29, 2013, 11:52:54 AM »
Was there this kind of uproar on this board when we didn't recruit Jimmer?

paultzman

« Reply #651 on: November 29, 2013, 11:58:15 AM »

I don't see the "uproar". Plain and simple, Severe made the right choice going to Fordham. He is getting more immediate playing time than here, gets to attend a better school and is and will be a big fish in a small pond. Why waste time on this? I hope he does well, but not against us.

« Reply #652 on: November 29, 2013, 12:02:33 PM »

I don't see the "uproar". Plain and simple, Severe made the right choice going to Fordham. He is getting more immediate playing time than here, gets to attend a better school and is and will be a big fish in a small pond. Why waste time on this? I hope he does well, but not against us.

I just see posters saying we made a mistake not recruiting him. Maybe they are right, but all other high majors made the same mistake. I agree, he made the right choice. Maybe we could have used him, but not sure we could even guarantee him PT anyway. I hope he continues his great play. Glad to see him do well. And good job by Chilleb recognizing his talent.

paultzman

« Reply #653 on: November 29, 2013, 12:08:09 PM »

I just see posters saying we made a mistake not recruiting him. Maybe they are right, but all other high majors made the same mistake. I agree, he made the right choice. Maybe we could have used him, but not sure we could even guarantee him PT anyway. I hope he continues his great play. Glad to see him do well. And good job by Chilleb recognizing his talent.

Agree Chilleb did call his potential early. If folks are concerned about getting a super local player, look no further than Donovan Mitchell, currently in class of 15. Looks like the Queens resident is open to staying home & would  benefit SJU greatly. He is developing in leaps and bounds. Time for Chiles & Lavin to work their tails off to get him.

Poison

« Reply #654 on: November 29, 2013, 01:05:36 PM »

We have two slow "shooters" coming off the bench for us. Combined in 5 games, they've made one 3 pointer. They drawn zero fouls. It's a pretty terrible start. If this continues, then yes, you'd have be delusional to think we couldn't used this kid.

As for those suggesting that he couldn't play at the BE level, Hooper and Bourgault haven't shown that they can play at a D1 level, so your point doesn't hold up at all.

« Reply #655 on: November 29, 2013, 01:16:29 PM »

We have two slow "shooters" coming off the bench for us. Combined in 5 games, they've made one 3 pointer. They drawn zero fouls. It's a pretty terrible start. If this continues, then yes, you'd have be delusional to think we couldn't used this kid.

As for those suggesting that he couldn't play at the BE level, Hooper and Bourgault haven't shown that they can play at a D1 level, so your point doesn't hold up at all.

He'd be on the bench on this team like the rest of our "shooters."
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 01:16:50 PM by redstorm212 »

Poison

« Reply #656 on: November 29, 2013, 01:20:31 PM »

So far, he's played better than any of our guards. Harrison included. And if he doesn't play defense, he'd be no different than just about every player we have. The only way this doesn't torn out to be an oversight is if Hooper turns out to be a good shooter.

And I mean a good shooter in actual games. Not just on Twitter.

paultzman

« Reply #657 on: November 29, 2013, 01:26:07 PM »

So far, he's played better than any of our guards. Harrison included. And if he doesn't play defense, he'd be no different than just about every player we have. The only way this doesn't torn out to be an oversight is if Hooper turns out to be a good shooter.

Is everyone sure he would have come here if really offered? Would he have not considered PT offered by Fordham  over SJU opportunity?

I just think many of us are just frustrated by our poor shooting/showing so far &   OD on the "what ifs". I too am concerned & have lived with SJU mediocrity more than most. That said, I am resolved to let this year play out & judge Lavin accordingly. Time to deliver!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 01:32:51 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #658 on: November 29, 2013, 01:43:54 PM »
There have always been, and will always be, Jon Severe-type players who high majors will pass on in favor of higher upside guys.  I'm beyond content with this year's roster - problem is execution and coaching, not a missing piece.

Moose

« Reply #659 on: November 29, 2013, 01:49:27 PM »

Is everyone sure he would have come here if really offered? Would he have not considered PT offered by Fordham  over SJU opportunity?

I just think many of us are just frustrated by our poor shooting/showing so far &   OD on the "what ifs". I too am concerned & have lived with SJU mediocrity more than most. That said, I am resolved to let this year play out & judge Lavin accordingly. Time to deliver!

Didn't he choose Fordham over Rutgers and Pitt?