Darrick Wood - SG - Palm Beach CC - Alexandria, VA - DEPAUL

• 915 replies

crgreen

Re: Darrick Wood - SG - NIA Prep - Washington, DC - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2011, 10:31:51 PM »
Per Rivals....  This is from the Reebok Breakout Challenge in July.

Darrick Wood, SG- Ranked No. 111 nationally in the class of 2012, the 6-foot-4 shooting guard is a natural scorer. A shooter with deep range, he's a microwave type who is capable of entering a zone and putting up points in a hurry. With John Wall encouraging him from the baseline, he caught fire Thursday night and put together one of the more impressive offensive displays of camp. He drained threes, broke defenders off with crossovers and dunked on people in the lane. Wood claims offers from Oklahoma State (who had an assistant following his every step in Philly), Baylor, Louisville, George Mason, USC and West Virginia. He also listed interest from Oklahoma, UCLA and Arizona and says that USC stood out as a school that he'd like to visit officially.

http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1238273

Think about what #111 recruit actually means.   Over the last 4 years, an average of 40 schools have sucked up the top 100 recruits (last year SJU really helped skew that #!!!).   So --- that means that at 300 of the 350 Div 1 schools, This kid could ONLY be their #1 recruit.   

« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2011, 10:39:20 PM »
Per Rivals....  This is from the Reebok Breakout Challenge in July.

Darrick Wood, SG- Ranked No. 111 nationally in the class of 2012, the 6-foot-4 shooting guard is a natural scorer. A shooter with deep range, he's a microwave type who is capable of entering a zone and putting up points in a hurry. With John Wall encouraging him from the baseline, he caught fire Thursday night and put together one of the more impressive offensive displays of camp. He drained threes, broke defenders off with crossovers and dunked on people in the lane. Wood claims offers from Oklahoma State (who had an assistant following his every step in Philly), Baylor, Louisville, George Mason, USC and West Virginia. He also listed interest from Oklahoma, UCLA and Arizona and says that USC stood out as a school that he'd like to visit officially.

http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1238273

Think about what #111 recruit actually means.   Over the last 4 years, an average of 40 schools have sucked up the top 100 recruits (last year SJU really helped skew that #!!!).   So --- that means that at 300 of the 350 Div 1 schools, This kid could ONLY be their #1 recruit.

And we have him coming in as a role player! I love this! We used to be one of those 300 schools who weren't getting the top talent and settled for guys like Wood to be their star player.

« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2011, 11:18:32 PM »
I think he may be a better ballhandler than previously mentioned

MCNPA

« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2011, 11:26:40 PM »
I really like kids like this that can score.  A spark plug with deep range and elevation on his outside shot. He's not only a set shooter either.  Really solid pickup, not to mention Lavin's first DC player.  Just another territory we're grabbing from.

crgreen

« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2011, 12:35:54 AM »
I really like kids like this that can score.  A spark plug with deep range and elevation on his outside shot. He's not only a set shooter either.  Really solid pickup, not to mention Lavin's first DC player.  Just another territory we're grabbing from.

That's what - 11 for 11 now - 11 recruits, each one from a different area?   What are the odds of doing that even if you PLANNED it?   :laugh:

MCNPA

« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2011, 07:16:52 AM »

That's what - 11 for 11 now - 11 recruits, each one from a different area?   What are the odds of doing that even if you PLANNED it?   :laugh:

Agree Cr.  Not to mention that Anderson would make the first SJU recruit from New Jersey... ;)

Moose

« Reply #126 on: August 22, 2011, 07:34:44 AM »

Agree Cr.  Not to mention that Anderson would make the first SJU recruit from New Jersey... ;)

But....

If he played for Harlem team in the Battle of the Boroughs maybe we should consider him a NYC player?
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #127 on: August 22, 2011, 07:56:47 AM »
Anybody hearing anything on where Wood will play this year?  Will it be at NIA where we'll have to worry about him qualifying all year?  Maybe Brewster?  Like I said, Salisbury sounds like a good fit... ;)

pmg911

« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2011, 07:57:58 AM »
I don't know anything about this young man and I do wish him luck but after least week's new regarding NIA, its a bit wreckless to take a kid from that school. Especially when we already have a few players on the roster currently that have yet to receive approval from the NCAA Clearinghouse.

MCNPA

« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2011, 08:10:17 AM »
I don't know anything about this young man and I do wish him luck but after least week's new regarding NIA, its a bit wreckless to take a kid from that school. Especially when we already have a few players on the roster currently that have yet to receive approval from the NCAA Clearinghouse.

He has an entire year to go to another school and make sure everything is on point.  Not sure if "reckless" is the word I'd use.

crgreen

« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2011, 10:23:36 AM »
Anybody hearing anything on where Wood will play this year?  Will it be at NIA where we'll have to worry about him qualifying all year?  Maybe Brewster?  Like I said, Salisbury sounds like a good fit... ;)

Any chance for St. Anthonys where he can hang with Kyle for a full season before they show up in Queens?  :)

« Reply #131 on: August 22, 2011, 10:48:02 AM »
Welcome aboard Darrick!

« Reply #132 on: August 22, 2011, 11:00:11 AM »
Wood claims offers from Oklahoma State (who had an assistant following his every step in Philly), Baylor, Louisville, George Mason, USC and West Virginia. He also listed interest from Oklahoma, UCLA and Arizona and says that USC stood out as a school that he'd like to visit officially.[/i]

These Scouting Services are right on point with the potential schools...

Darrick, You light these Mothahflippas up son!!!!!!

You will be the man here in a couple of years.  No doubt!

MCNPA

« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2011, 11:00:50 AM »

Any chance for St. Anthonys where he can hang with Kyle for a full season before they show up in Queens?  :)

Good point.  Even better idea.

NYCoffey

« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2011, 12:50:31 PM »
I found this short clip of an AAU game with Kyle Anderson And Darrick playing together. Is Wood #15?

Kyle Anderson Darrick Wood

« Reply #135 on: August 22, 2011, 01:01:22 PM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=finkelstein_adam&id=6884719

"As for Wood, his tool set also addresses specific areas of need for St. John's. First, he's a big 2-guard with great length, making him ideally suited for the 1-1-3 zone that the Johnnies utilized so often last year. Offensively, he's plenty capable of getting out in transition like so many of his predecessors from the 2011 class, but where he differentiates himself is in the half-court set, not just with his 3-point shooting but even more so with his midrange game. His dribble pull-up is a major weapon that will come in especially handy in the crowded/physical style of Big East play, where getting all the way to the rim is a virtual impossibility unless you're in the open floor."

MCNPA

« Reply #136 on: August 22, 2011, 01:07:14 PM »
I found this short clip of an AAU game with Kyle Anderson And Darrick playing together. Is Wood #15?

Kyle Anderson Darrick Wood

No, #2.

« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2011, 02:07:39 PM »

Wood is #2, as stated by MCN.  Myles Davis is #15.  This is from the Peach Jam.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 02:08:22 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2011, 09:46:30 AM »
lot of confusion about this kids height 6'3" to 6'5". Standing next to Anderson I would say 6'5" may be right

Moose

« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2011, 10:09:01 AM »
lot of confusion about this kids height 6'3" to 6'5". Standing next to Anderson I would say 6'5" may be right

I thought Dave told me he was shorter than both of those numbers.  Dave?
Remember who broke the Slice news