Darrick Wood - SG - Palm Beach CC - Alexandria, VA - DEPAUL

• 915 replies
Re: Darrick Wood - SG - NIA Prep - Washington, DC - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #180 on: September 02, 2011, 10:49:11 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/09/02/darrick-wood-malik-nichols-to-bridgton-academy/#more-57059

“It will be very, very difficult for him to qualify,” one local Division 1 assistant coach not connected to St. John’s said, adding that he doesn’t believe the NCAA will accept any courses from NIA going forward.

-----

Still, Wood is looking forward to Bridgton. He said he wants to work on his strength and ball-handling next year before going to St. John’s in 2012.

“Once I work on those two I think it will put me over the top,” he said.

-------

Wood’s AAU teammate, 6-8 point guard Kyle Anderson of St. Anthony, is also considering St. John’s along with Seton Hall, Georgetown, Florida and UCLA, but Wood says he’ll be happy for him wherever he goes.

“I’m working it but whatever decision he makes I’m gonna be happy with it,” he said. “He’s my boy and I’ll  be happy for him.”
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

MCNPA

« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2011, 09:56:16 AM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/09/02/darrick-wood-malik-nichols-to-bridgton-academy/#more-57059

“It will be very, very difficult for him to qualify,” one local Division 1 assistant coach not connected to St. John’s said, adding that he doesn’t believe the NCAA will accept any courses from NIA going forward.

-----

Still, Wood is looking forward to Bridgton. He said he wants to work on his strength and ball-handling next year before going to St. John’s in 2012.

“Once I work on those two I think it will put me over the top,” he said.

-------

Wood’s AAU teammate, 6-8 point guard Kyle Anderson of St. Anthony, is also considering St. John’s along with Seton Hall, Georgetown, Florida and UCLA, but Wood says he’ll be happy for him wherever he goes.

“I’m working it but whatever decision he makes I’m gonna be happy with it,” he said. “He’s my boy and I’ll  be happy for him.”

"one local D1 assistant said"...  Love how these guys chime in.  It isn't one of our assistants so that alone should say something, but lots said most of our guys wouldn't qualify this season.  Pretty sure the SJU staff is aware of the entire situation.  NCAA can't nullify all Darrick's core courses.  Going to a NEPSAC school should certainly help his cause on course to qualification.

« Reply #182 on: September 03, 2011, 10:41:02 AM »
"one local D1 assistant said"...  Love how these guys chime in.  It isn't one of our assistants so that alone should say something, but lots said most of our guys wouldn't qualify this season.  Pretty sure the SJU staff is aware of the entire situation.  NCAA can't nullify all Darrick's core courses.  Going to a NEPSAC school should certainly help his cause on course to qualification.

The local papers always seem to find some "Big East assistant" for a quote like that...now they are onto "local D1 assistant"... ;D
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

pmg911

« Reply #183 on: September 07, 2011, 10:46:18 AM »
If the NCAA cxomes out and says they will no longer accept core classes that were taken at NIA Prep it will not bode well for Darrick Wood getting elgibile for next year.

Sadly it will effect a lot of kids that went through NIA and force them to do 5th years in some sort of prep school.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #184 on: September 07, 2011, 12:25:11 PM »
Was Wood at NIA Prep all year? Let's not get all apocalyptic about his chances. Bridgton is experienced in prepping kids to get eligible for college, as well.

munch

« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2011, 04:01:36 PM »
He spent a half a year, and took classes at local community college at Mr. Salmons request as precautions to this type of situation.  He will be fine it they take the courses or if they dont.....  His mother has been on top of this for a long time, with schools and clearinghouse.  They gave her the ok about nia before he even enrolled. Emails are great to have. The thought is to not even use the stuff at nia...... With 14 going in shouldnt have 2

« Reply #186 on: September 08, 2011, 07:02:35 PM »
He spent a half a year, and took classes at local community college at Mr. Salmons request as precautions to this type of situation.  He will be fine it they take the courses or if they dont.....  His mother has been on top of this for a long time, with schools and clearinghouse.  They gave her the ok about nia before he even enrolled. Emails are great to have. The thought is to not even use the stuff at nia...... With 14 going in shouldnt have 2

It's nice to get such great info on the situation...Seems like Wood has prepared and is in good shape...He'd even have summer classes after the school year if he needed it...Doesn't seem like that will be the case though...Good for him and his family
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 07:03:04 PM by NYMase »

« Reply #187 on: September 08, 2011, 07:07:16 PM »

Thanks for the info, munch!  The kid seems like someone who is slowly coming into his own as a player.  It's gonna be interesting watching it all materialize.

ras

« Reply #188 on: September 08, 2011, 07:54:14 PM »
I believe he will be a 4 star recruit by the time the final rankings come out

« Reply #189 on: September 08, 2011, 10:45:49 PM »
I think he is a four star recruit currently. I know one of the sites has him as such. In my opinion his ranking will increase this year however
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #190 on: September 12, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
And Shaq Thomas cleared.  So simply going to NIA Prep does not mean he will not qualify.  And as such the fact that he will spend a year away from them helps that much more.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #191 on: September 13, 2011, 10:52:14 AM »
Isn't Shaq Thomas cleared for the spring semester, though? Thought that's what I saw.

MCNPA

« Reply #192 on: September 13, 2011, 10:55:49 AM »
And Shaq Thomas cleared.  So simply going to NIA Prep does not mean he will not qualify.  And as such the fact that he will spend a year away from them helps that much more.

Exactly Fordham.  The fact that he's going to Bridgton in the NEPSAC is twofold great for him.  He can clean up his academics and whatever won't fly from NIA.  Most of those Bridgton kids qualify.  Not sure I remember many that haven't.  In addition, their schedule is brutally good.  He'll be playing against some of the best SG talent of any league in the country.  Maybe THE best.  Will certainly help him develop.

« Reply #193 on: September 13, 2011, 11:00:47 AM »
Isn't Shaq Thomas cleared for the spring semester, though? Thought that's what I saw.

Well not exactly.  Because the NCAA can drag its feet sometimes kids may not be enrolled in time to get in for the fall semester.  It is not that the NCAA said you are only eligible starting in the spring. 

But I think Cincy has late enrollment and he may not miss any time.

But the larger point is that NIA is not an automatic disqualifer for kids looking to get cleared.  Trust me I would rather not have any of our recruits associated with that school but the fact that Darrick is spending a post grad year away from NIA and NIA itself is not a disqualifier should allow some of you to relax a little.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 11:01:49 AM by fordham96 »

pmg911

« Reply #194 on: September 19, 2011, 07:43:49 AM »
This kid better have his acdemics clearly in order this year or he will not get with in 100 feet of the SJU campus now.

If he can do it, don't be surprised to see this kid re-classify before he even signs a LOI to come to SJU.

Moose

« Reply #195 on: September 19, 2011, 07:52:36 AM »
This kid better have his acdemics clearly in order this year or he will not get with in 100 feet of the SJU campus now.

If he can do it, don't be surprised to see this kid re-classify before he even signs a LOI to come to SJU.

Aren't you a bundle of optimism :)
Your making me think twice about even bothering with season tickets.
Between the Philly 3, the BE blowing up, Kyle, and now Darrick's academics, I might as well start rooting for Duke or something.
Remember who broke the Slice news

pmg911

« Reply #196 on: September 19, 2011, 08:20:47 AM »
Moose - you were die hard through Norm Roberts - this is just a bump in the road

TONYD3

« Reply #197 on: September 19, 2011, 08:30:55 AM »
we may be cursed! Not even kidding

Moose

« Reply #198 on: September 19, 2011, 08:48:30 AM »
Moose - you were die hard through Norm Roberts - this is just a bump in the road

I was but this last week has been a bear.  But let me get this back to Darrick Wood before Dave and Gumby beat me up.

Go Bridgton! NEPSAC schools always get kids eligible.......oh wait.  I forgot about Jakarr :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #199 on: September 22, 2011, 09:22:15 PM »
DarrickWood Darrick Alan Wood II
Im staying true to my #stjbb fam.
Sept 22