Mullin's staff

• 913 replies
Re: Mullin's staff
« Reply #120 on: March 31, 2015, 10:18:06 AM »
Ron Rowan?

He would have to be an assistant

Why?  Is his son committing?  Outside of that why would he have to be an assistant?  Sorry if I am missing the obvious.

Look at Maverick Rown thread
From my post of the comments on Rowan, I'd want to know why he was fired from a High School position. Not sure what position he held from the comments, but THAT better be part of the due diligence if he is being considered for hire.

I should add - Mullin probably knows about it already.

With high school sports ya never know, could be that Ron knew way more than the head coach and let him and everyone know that, and the coach whose close with the admin felt threatened...and then he's gone.  My basketball coach in high school got fired because one or two influential parents didn't like him.  High school sports can be extremely political.
True. I was not judging at all.  I saw HS sports politics at work with my son, and it was not pretty, and not too much fun either. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:18:35 AM by bball purist »

Tha Kid

« Reply #121 on: March 31, 2015, 10:19:16 AM »
Ron Rowan?

He would have to be an assistant

Why?  Is his son committing?  Outside of that why would he have to be an assistant?  Sorry if I am missing the obvious.

Look at Maverick Rown thread
From my post of the comments on Rowan, I'd want to know why he was fired from a High School position. Not sure what position he held from the comments, but THAT better be part of the due diligence if he is being considered for hire.

I should add - Mullin probably knows about it already.

With high school sports ya never know, could be that Ron knew way more than the head coach and let him and everyone know that, and the coach whose close with the admin felt threatened...and then he's gone.  My basketball coach in high school got fired because one or two influential parents didn't like him.  High school sports can be extremely political.
True. I was not judging at all.  I saw HS sports politics at work with my son, and it was not pretty, and not too much fun either. 

Gotcha - didnt think you were - I agree it has to be looked into, because ya never know, but I'd bet it's nothing.
"I drink and I know things"

sju89tr

« Reply #122 on: March 31, 2015, 10:24:46 AM »
Rowan has a ton of experience playing professionally. He like Mullin was a gym rat. I am sure he has a lot to teach. Nothing wrong with passing the third assistant job to him along with getting his son as a top 50 kid.
I think Pinkney is a big plus with well over 10 years experience in both college and the NBA.
I don't think you see Slice and Matt. It's one or the other. 
Can't see that the DOBO will go to anyone except Terrance   

Tha Kid

« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2015, 10:29:14 AM »
Rowan has a ton of experience playing professionally. He like Mullin was a gym rat. I am sure he has a lot to teach. Nothing wrong with passing the third assistant job to him along with getting his son as a top 50 kid.
I think Pinkney is a big plus with well over 10 years experience in both college and the NBA.

Curious - how was Pinckney as a recruiter at Nova? 

sju89tr

« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2015, 10:30:02 AM »

I really don't know. He was there 5 years.

Tha Kid

« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2015, 10:33:47 AM »

If Slice is interested, I'd be a little disappointed if we dont get him.  Matt A seems great but he's still a little green.  Slice is a pretty sure thing.   Great to have another Johnny on board, but I hope Rowan brings more to the table than just his son if it's a Rowan or Slice decision.   Unless Maverick is the second coming of Chris Mullin, in which case just his son is more than enough ha ha.

sju89tr

« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2015, 10:35:46 AM »

If Slice is interested, I'd be a little disappointed if we dont get him.  Matt A seems great but he's still a little green.  Slice is a pretty sure thing.   Great to have another Johnny on board, but I hope Rowan brings more to the table than just his son if it's a Rowan or Slice decision.   Unless Maverick is the second coming of Chris Mullin, in which case just his son is more than enough ha ha.

I hear you but Slice may be hard to get from the info I heard 

paultzman

« Reply #127 on: March 31, 2015, 10:38:33 AM »

Difficult, but still very much on their radar. We'll see.

Tha Kid

« Reply #128 on: March 31, 2015, 10:39:02 AM »

Well then that makes a lot more sense...we need to hit the ground running so better to get the entire team in place than wait on something that isn't likely to happen.  And I didn't mean to imply Ron can only bring his son, totally agree that his experiences would be great and of course the connection to St. John's is awesome.  Like the St. John's "family" Mullin is trying to start - has a Duke/UNC feel to it which is awesome for continuity, stability, and selling the program.  Old Big East friends like Pinckney fit in too.

« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2015, 10:41:42 AM »
Matt A first, Pinkney likely. Slice still being targeted.
Hearing rumbles of grasso

just so happens that Grasso recently followed, Yakwe, Lovett, Paschall and Malik Ellison on Twitter. Recently, I mean within the last 2 days
Saw that, but beyond Pinkney & Matt A, I suspect they will see if they can land Slice. If unsuccessful, I guess others, like Grasso type guys, would get a look.
Is Matt A the recruiter?
In my world we need two. Slice & a young "comer" would be a nice combination. Certainly Slice brings experience & other skills that would be utilized. I think Chiles got worn out doing most of recruiting, so I prefer sharing the load. Just my opinion.

Im with you Paultz, would love two recruiters. But if that's the case than the third AC has got to bring some coaching/running a program experience with him IMO. Is Pinckney that guy?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

sju89tr

« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2015, 10:41:50 AM »

Well then that makes a lot more sense...we need to hit the ground running so better to get the entire team in place than wait on something that isn't likely to happen.  And I didn't mean to imply Ron can only bring his son, totally agree that his experiences would be great and of course the connection to St. John's is awesome.  Like the St. John's "family" Mullin is trying to start - has a Duke/UNC feel to it which is awesome for continuity, stability, and selling the program.  Old Big East friends like Pinckney fit in too.

I am pretty sure Mullin would want Ron to be more than just his son. There is very little info on him after his playing days ended.

The list of candidates is sure solid though whatever happens.

sju89tr

« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2015, 11:21:13 AM »
Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein  ·  2m 2 minutes ago
BREAKING: Chris Mullin will hire Iowa State's Matt Abdemassih at St. John's as an assistant, source told @CBSSports. Story coming. #SJUBB

« Reply #132 on: March 31, 2015, 11:23:15 AM »
BREAKING: Chris Mullin will hire Iowa State's Matt Abdemassih at St. John's as an assistant, source told @CBSSports. Story coming. #SJUBB

Diallo not far behind

sju89tr

« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2015, 11:25:56 AM »

Very true and hopefully when open period starts Matt goes to LA with Mullin to re-close the deal with Sampson     
Diallo not far behind

« Reply #134 on: March 31, 2015, 11:26:34 AM »

Diallo not far behind

^^^^^^ this guy.  lol

QuanMan

« Reply #135 on: March 31, 2015, 11:26:58 AM »
Let's goooo!!!!!!
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #136 on: March 31, 2015, 11:28:29 AM »

Diallo not far behind

^^^^^^ this guy.  lol
THIS is HOW you get Baldi PUMPED.   :smiley6600:

Johnny23

« Reply #137 on: March 31, 2015, 11:42:31 AM »
^^Very exciting news on this hiring! Great time to be a Johnnies fan. Thanks for the info. guys, keep it coming!

In regards to Slice, some Kentucky posters are saying that he's like a pig in slop in Lexington. Whether that means he's staying put or not remains to be seen.

ras

« Reply #138 on: March 31, 2015, 11:42:46 AM »

On the Iowa State board. One poster says an insider told him Matt is gone{to SJU] Sorry , didn't read the whole thread before posting.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:45:40 AM by ras »

Tha Kid

« Reply #139 on: March 31, 2015, 11:44:44 AM »
^^Very exciting news on this hiring! Great time to be a Johnnies fan. Thanks for the info. guys, keep it coming!

In regards to Slice, some Kentucky posters are saying that he's like a pig in slop in Lexington. Whether that means he's staying put or not remains to be seen.

Think that means he's EXTREMELY happy there.