Jordan

• 75 replies
Re: Jordan
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2014, 12:58:31 AM »
‏@____whynot 20m
Don't worry Johnny fan! This will be us next year
Or you can just join the sunshine crowd and delude yourself into believing that was us this year. Congratulations St. John's on our first National Championship! We all knew Lavin was destined to bring us to the promised land!  :crazy2:

Marillac

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2014, 11:21:24 AM »
_____whynot_____whynot
BROS FORLIFE NO MATTER WHAT #STJBB #DREAMCHASERS

http://distilleryimage3.s3.amazonaws.com/ae8ee570be7811e3a414120ebf00e867_8.jpg

Who is this tweeting?

Wods317

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2014, 11:25:22 AM »

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2014, 11:26:22 AM »
_____whynot_____whynot
BROS FORLIFE NO MATTER WHAT #STJBB #DREAMCHASERS

http://distilleryimage3.s3.amazonaws.com/ae8ee570be7811e3a414120ebf00e867_8.jpg

Who is this tweeting?

Sheed, his Philly crew is called "whynot?".

the post with the picture stemmed from instagram and the one about Johnny fans was on twitter. Dude is 100% coming back, and seems motivated to do big things next year.

ras

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2014, 12:02:01 PM »
If that's Sheeds tweet, it is good news. It means he is returning and is optimistic. Who knows maybe Lavin has a couple of rabbits up his sleeve.

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2014, 02:15:37 PM »
Sheed likely knows he's 1 more and gone.  He'll have free reign on the court and should put up really good numbers (regardless of win/loss) and set himself up for a good draft slot. Him leaving and sitting out a year likely doesn't help him much. 

Tha Kid

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2014, 03:54:38 PM »
Sheed likely knows he's 1 more and gone.  He'll have free reign on the court and should put up really good numbers (regardless of win/loss) and set himself up for a good draft slot. Him leaving and sitting out a year likely doesn't help him much. 

Agreed.  Plus Moe was a top 15 pick on a terrible team.  Sheed getting to do what he does best next year is the best for Sheed...I think he and Dlo leads us to the tourney personally regardless of who else leaves and who is coaching.  Let's remember that Marcus Hatten led us to a tourney with a bunch of scrubs and Jarvis who at that point had stopped coaching....
"I drink and I know things"

MCNPA

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2014, 05:12:01 PM »

Agreed.  Plus Moe was a top 15 pick on a terrible team.  Sheed getting to do what he does best next year is the best for Sheed...I think he and Dlo leads us to the tourney personally regardless of who else leaves and who is coaching.  Let's remember that Marcus Hatten led us to a tourney with a bunch of scrubs and Jarvis who at that point had stopped coaching....

We aren't going to any tourney because we have not one skilled frontcourt player at the 3, 4 nor 5 positions.  Not one...  How Lavin left us in that position is beyond me and is why fans are so ticked off.  We went from a promising team with nice upperclassmen talent, but nobody to replace them when the house of cards collapses. 

We'd all be satisfied if the 2013' class had 3-4 top 125 kids on board which is the way it should be right now.  We should have had some significantly talented youth to replace all the upperclassmen,   It was logistically necessary to do so with all the upperclassmen talent graduating this year and next year.   It was grossly negligent to ignore recruitment of the 14' class.

Anybody talking tourney is crazy.  Our front court is decimated right now and 6 delarosa's aren't going to fix that.  We don't have a single small forward on the team now that can me make a shot outside of a dunk, and even then, we only have one total.  The part that peeves me most is that this was totally preventable. 

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 05:16:55 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2014, 05:14:09 PM »

We aren't going to any tourney because we have not one skilled frontcourt player at the 3, 4 nor 5 positions.  Not one...  How Lavin left us in that position is beyond me and is why fans are so ticked off.  We went from a promising team with nice upperclassmen talent, but nobody to replace them when the house of cards collapses.  We'd all be satisfied if the 2013' class had 3-4 top 125 kids on board because it was logistically necessary to do so with all the upperclassmen talent graduating this year and next year.  Anybody talking tourney is crazy. 

Skilled is one thing at the moment we do not even have a frontcourt player. Jones is our starting center and he is 6-7 and shoots jumpers. NIT is going to be a stretch

DFF6

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2014, 05:17:12 PM »

We aren't going to any tourney because we have not one skilled frontcourt player at the 3, 4 nor 5 positions.  Not one...  How Lavin left us in that position is beyond me and is why fans are so ticked off.  We went from a promising team with nice upperclassmen talent, but nobody to replace them when the house of cards collapses.  We'd all be satisfied if the 2013' class had 3-4 top 125 kids on board because it was logistically necessary to do so with all the upperclassmen talent graduating this year and next year.  Anybody talking tourney is crazy. 

As it stands today, I agree with you, but man, it's depressing to read your posts lately.  You're making Poison sound like an optimist.  ;-)

MCNPA

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2014, 05:18:30 PM »

Skilled is one thing at the moment we do not even have a frontcourt player. Jones is our starting center and he is 6-7 and shoots jumpers. NIT is going to be a stretch

And our players quit during the NIT who doesn't want us back.  Time for a new coach.  Totally negligent.

MCNPA

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2014, 05:28:09 PM »

As it stands today, I agree with you, but man, it's depressing to read your posts lately.  You're making Poison sound like an optimist.  ;-)

Sorry DFF, but I was done with Lavin when he gave Sanchez off for a critical Nova game.   This is something that can't be done in competitive D1 ball.   I have serious issues about how he has dealt with personal time off for both staff and players which Imo has bordered the absurd.  Our players quit on our coach, our coach quit on recruiting and subsequently the fans are quitting in their support of the program.  Once again, Lavin spoke about "sustainable success" but that's not how he built this team.   Our roster has been unbuilt in the blink of an eye which is baffling to me.
I've had enough. What makes it worse is watching a program like Uconn win a NC with a new coach who has a cohesive team and a great system.  We are in disarray...once again.   

Poison

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2014, 05:46:25 PM »

Kid, come on. There isn't a player on this team that sniffs Hatten. And I think you're overlooking some very good supporting players on those Jarvis teams. Anthony Glover was a consistent forward for us. A quality 4 year player who worked hard. For all the talk of Greene being forced to play out of position, how about some credit for a 6'4 center?

The thing about guys like Fordham, Keita, Glover, Shaw, King, Cuffe, Stanley and The Donald is that while none of them were as talented as last year's STJ team, they hustled, they defended, and they gutted out wins because they played hard, and they played fearless.

I know no one cared for Jarvis' attitude towards recruiting, the media or his horrendous metaphors, but his teams, up until his last season, competed. A coach isn't your buddy. Lavin and his player's coach BS has produced the most overrated squad at STJ since the 1994-1995 team that lost to USF in the first round of the NIT.

At least that team took the NIT seriously.

Tha Kid

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2014, 06:06:35 PM »

Kid, come on. There isn't a player on this team that sniffs Hatten. And I think you're overlooking some very good supporting players on those Jarvis teams. Anthony Glover was a consistent forward for us. A quality 4 year player who worked hard. For all the talk of Greene being forced to play out of position, how about some credit for a 6'4 center?

The thing about guys like Fordham, Keita, Glover, Shaw, King, Cuffe, Stanley and The Donald is that while none of them were as talented as last year's STJ team, they hustled, they defended, and they gutted out wins because they played hard, and they played fearless.

I know no one cared for Jarvis' attitude towards recruiting, the media or his horrendous metaphors, but his teams, up until his last season, competed. A coach isn't your buddy. Lavin and his player's coach BS has produced the most overrated squad at STJ since the 1994-1995 team that lost to USF in the first round of the NIT.

No one sniffs Hatten but if Jordan improves like I expect him to, Jordan + D'Angelo could be as dangerous a back court as any.  I also am assuming that we actually get something much needed based on our total lack of a recruiting season, and that is hungry bangers who WILL rebound.  I could be wrong but Lavin may actually back into players with a skillset we have been sorely lacking (toughness, rebounding, and grit).

Perhaps it's because I am an optimist, but I really love Jordan and think he is a legit big time player next year.  I think Jordan, Branch, Harrison, Pointer, CJ, + 2-3 legit bangers downlow who can rebound and defend at a D-1 level is a potential NCAA tourney team, even with Lavin coaching.  As WASJU has said, the less players Lavin has to mismanage and screw up rotations, the better the "coaching" will be.
"I drink and I know things"

Marillac

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2014, 06:48:53 PM »

No one sniffs Hatten but if Jordan improves like I expect him to, Jordan + D'Angelo could be as dangerous a back court as any.  I also am assuming that we actually get something much needed based on our total lack of a recruiting season, and that is hungry bangers who WILL rebound.  I could be wrong but Lavin may actually back into players with a skillset we have been sorely lacking (toughness, rebounding, and grit).

Perhaps it's because I am an optimist, but I really love Jordan and think he is a legit big time player next year.  I think Jordan, Branch, Harrison, Pointer, CJ, + 2-3 legit bangers downlow who can rebound and defend at a D-1 level is a potential NCAA tourney team, even with Lavin coaching.  As WASJU has said, the less players Lavin has to mismanage and screw up rotations, the better the "coaching" will be.

I completely agree.  Our back court should be the best we've seen in over a decade--including the Hatten years.  The front court just needs to stay out of the way of the guards.  They didn't do that this past season.  They also didn't screen or set up the guards in any way...the just forced drives and jumpers all game.

I actually really like this Thomas kid.  He is probably half the athlete of Sampson and only has a fraction of his quickness and explosiveness, but the kid looks really skilled and, more importantly, seems to be a bulldog.  Watch the videos on youtube, he gets great position on both ends of the floor and doesn't waste ANY movement when he get the ball down low.  1-2 dribbles max and he has no problem getting rid of it.  He seals better than anyone we've had in a while and that would make him a menace off a screen if he draws a smaller defender on the switch.  This kid was coached up at some point and has skills Sampson will probably never see.

Of course, I am still holding out hope for Mason and a few transfers.

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2014, 07:19:09 PM »
So you guys are counting next season on a guy who took 2 weeks off in the middle of the season? Oh and the Home NIT game with a sore throAt?

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2014, 07:25:46 PM »
So you guys are counting next season on a guy who took 2 weeks off in the middle of the season? Oh and the Home NIT game with a sore throAt?

Having had strep throat this winter and many prior, I can say the last thing I would be doing is playing basketball. Especially in a consolation game.

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2014, 07:26:03 PM »
I'm willing to at least let the rest of the off season play out before passing judgement.  Agreed that the front court looks bad/non existent now.   I admittedly don't know much about Adonis or the westchester kid.   I don't think you can really know a player by stats and highlights against weak competition.  But as of now, I'm willing to let things play out.   Lets also remember the conference should be worse than last year as well, lots of big time players gone. 

Poison

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2014, 07:42:32 PM »

I completely agree.  Our back court should be the best we've seen in over a decade--including the Hatten years.  The front court just needs to stay out of the way of the guards.  They didn't do that this past season.  They also didn't screen or set up the guards in any way...the just forced drives and jumpers all game.

I actually really like this Thomas kid.  He is probably half the athlete of Sampson and only has a fraction of his quickness and explosiveness, but the kid looks really skilled and, more importantly, seems to be a bulldog.  Watch the videos on youtube, he gets great position on both ends of the floor and doesn't waste ANY movement when he get the ball down low.  1-2 dribbles max and he has no problem getting rid of it.  He seals better than anyone we've had in a while and that would make him a menace off a screen if he draws a smaller defender on the switch.  This kid was coached up at some point and has skills Sampson will probably never see.

Of course, I am still holding out hope for Mason and a few transfers.

I think you guys are smoking crack, meth, snorting coke and shooting heroin.
Don't get me wrong, I hope you're right, and everyone else is eating crow, but Marillac, how can you like Keith Thomas? We didn't even know who he was 3 weeks ago.

If you did, I stand corrected, but if you just look at highlight videos which piece together moments over who knows how long of a period, how can we tell anything? Lavin should have been working harder on the recruiting trail. That's his best talent as a coach. If he's losing his frontcourt, and he's not working hard to replace it, he should be fired immediately.

Let him prove us wrong by finding a way to get quality bigs in here. And even then, that nice person will be left to coach to them. The prospects of that scenario with an entirely green frontcourt are daunting.

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2014, 07:47:51 PM »

Having had strep throat this winter and many prior, I can say the last thing I would be doing is playing basketball. Especially in a consolation game.

Now it's strep?