Cam Mack - PG - Salt Lake City CC

• 157 replies
Re: Cam Mack - PG - Salt Lake City CC - ST. JOHN'S (signed)
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2019, 11:46:01 PM »
Similar body sure. Similar game no. Dwayne Wade could really handle and create. Heron doesn't really have that skillset. He's more of a better shooting, more athletic Anthony Glover. At his height I don't see his game translating at the NBA level. Hopefully he gets a shot.

So does he need to be able to get to the rim, which apparently is hard to do at 6’5” in the nba or does he need to be able to do that and create like future hall of famer Dwayne wade?

Whether or not he plays in the NBA I dunno, but to say his skill set won’t translate cuz of size is wrong. Regardless I’m glad he’s here now, he’s fun to watch.

Johnny23

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2019, 11:53:14 PM »
So does he need to be able to get to the rim, which apparently is hard to do at 6’5” in the nba or does he need to be able to do that and create like future hall of famer Dwayne wade?

Whether or not he plays in the NBA I dunno, but to say his skill set won’t translate cuz of size is wrong. Regardless I’m glad he’s here now, he’s fun to watch.

It's not wrong rather my opinion and we'll see how that plays out. I agree he's fun to watch and hopefully he's here next season too.

sju89tr

« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2019, 12:48:43 PM »
I don't think Ponds does much for Heron. I hope Mack does. This is not a knock on Ponds but I don't think he does much for Heron's game.     

« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2019, 01:23:13 PM »
I don't think Ponds does much for Heron. I hope Mack does. This is not a knock on Ponds but I don't think he does much for Heron's game.     

Really? All those catch and shoot threes from corner or wing?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2019, 01:35:12 PM »
Really? All those catch and shoot threes from corner or wing?

The alley oops too!
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Marillac

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2019, 03:13:46 PM »

I am speechless over this.  Heron takes completely wide open threes from Ponds dishes, he gets space to drive, and he gets alley oops with perfect direction and touch.

They haven't completely figured out the Batman and Robin act yet, but we are only 15 games in!

Poison

« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2019, 03:31:32 PM »

What else could Ponds do for Heron that he's not doing?

Foad

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2019, 03:35:28 PM »
What else could Ponds do for Heron that he's not doing?

A reach around would be nice.

sju89tr

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2019, 04:03:35 PM »
Heron's numbers could be better but obviously this is Pond's team and he's playing as a shoot first point guard. It's just my observation and not as an indictment on anyone.   

« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2019, 05:13:33 PM »
Heron's numbers could be better but obviously this is Pond's team and he's playing as a shoot first point guard. It's just my observation and not as an indictment on anyone.   

I agree...Heron's 3 point percentage has only gone up to 47% from 33% last year.  It would probably be 60% if Ponds wasn't around.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

DFF6

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2019, 08:35:34 AM »
https://www.jucorecruiting.com/2019-juco-basketball-top-100-rankings

Wow!  Very excited to see what Mack brings to the team he inherits from Ponds. Hopefully Heron is still here.

derk

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2019, 10:00:44 AM »
Also Valdir Manual # 25

Johnny23

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2019, 10:58:21 AM »
Even if Mack isn't as dynamic as Ponds, but still very good, then we should be ok next year given the improving supporting cast around him.

goredmen

« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2019, 01:13:13 PM »
Let’s take a step back in hoping that Mack will be an adequate replacement for Ponds, especially as soon as next year. Doing that will leave you extremely disappointed and isn’t fair to the kid.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 01:13:30 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2019, 03:05:20 PM »
Let’s take a step back in hoping that Mack will be an adequate replacement for Ponds, especially as soon as next year. Doing that will leave you extremely disappointed and isn’t fair to the kid.

Absolutely
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Johnny23

« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2019, 05:53:41 PM »

No one's saying that but if he's truly as good as the #2 ranked JUCO player in the country then he should be able to come in Day 1 and start for this team. That's not unreasonable in any way.

DFF6

« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2019, 06:40:30 PM »
No one's saying that but if he's truly as good as the #2 ranked JUCO player in the country then he should be able to come in Day 1 and start for this team. That's not unreasonable in any way.

Exactly. He won’t be Ponds. And maybe he won’t have to be. We should have a deeper team next year. Especially if Heron stays (fat chance, I know).

Foad

« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2019, 07:34:04 PM »
Let’s take a step back in hoping that Mack will be an adequate replacement for Ponds,

Unless Jesus rises from the grave no one's going to come in and be an adequate replacement for Ponds.

Poison

« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2019, 09:29:06 PM »
Also Valdir Manual # 25

Are you saying that’s good?