Ian Steere - PF - NC State - ST. JOHN’S

• 83 replies

QuanMan

Ian Steere - PF - NC State - ST. JOHN’S
« on: November 09, 2018, 02:40:03 PM »
NCST freshman who is highly rumored to be transferring, Matt started following him today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWii--TSrOA

Fwiw he played in their game against Mt. St. Mary's this week, lets see what it means for his eligibility. Kid looks like a beast who we can use next Winter.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 04:25:10 PM by jumpinjohnny »
Section 3
Section 116

wpc77

Re: Ian Steere- (NC State, PF) 6'9/260
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 03:24:19 PM »
Committed to Creighton, decommited from Creighton, courted heavily by Louisville, then committed to NC State.   All 3 schools feature prominently in the recent scandal.

Careful!

wpc77

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 04:57:13 PM »
"Fwiw he played in their exhibition game this week, lets see what it means for his eligibility."

A student-athlete redshirts when they do not participate in any intercollegiate competition during a given academic year. The main reason for purposely redshirting a student-athlete is to preserve a year of their eligibility. The moment a student-athlete competes for a single second of time or a single play, they will use up one of their four years of eligibility. “Intercollegiate competition” includes any contests against outside competition, regardless of how the competition is classified (e.g., scrimmages, exhibitions, etc.). (NCAA Bylaw 14.02.6)

There is an exception - During a student-athlete’s initial year of enrollment, they may compete in preseason exhibition contests and preseason practice scrimmages without counting such competition as a season of competition. (Bylaw 14.2.3.1.3) This would applies to the sports of Field Hockey, Soccer and Basketball.

paultzman

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 05:15:24 PM »
"Fwiw he played in their exhibition game this week, lets see what it means for his eligibility."

A student-athlete redshirts when they do not participate in any intercollegiate competition during a given academic year. The main reason for purposely redshirting a student-athlete is to preserve a year of their eligibility. The moment a student-athlete competes for a single second of time or a single play, they will use up one of their four years of eligibility. “Intercollegiate competition” includes any contests against outside competition, regardless of how the competition is classified (e.g., scrimmages, exhibitions, etc.). (NCAA Bylaw 14.02.6)

There is an exception - During a student-athlete’s initial year of enrollment, they may compete in preseason exhibition contests and preseason practice scrimmages without counting such competition as a season of competition. (Bylaw 14.2.3.1.3) This would applies to the sports of Field Hockey, Soccer and Basketball.
NC State played a regular game Tuesday v Mt St Mary’s. Steere is from same high school as Caraher FYI.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 09:02:09 AM »
Committed to Creighton, decommited from Creighton, courted heavily by Louisville, then c
committed to NC State.   All 3 schools feature prominently in the recent scandal.

Careful!
No, thanks.
Too many schools.

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 09:43:24 AM »
Love Ian great kid. He’s a beast with some girth. Plays hard and yes played on same program as Caraher which is a team I work with.

He isn’t a Lovett with all the schools. I think it’s more simply being uninformed and he blew up late. So wasn’t feeling Creighton and a panic commitment to local NC State.

My understanding he’d be very likely to be immediately eligible next year assuming he doesn’t continue at NC State.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 10:09:58 AM »
Steere played 5 minutes and scored 4 points in State's game against Mt. Saint Mary's. It was a game, not an exhibition. Exactly how would he be eligible to play next year? Wouldn't he lose a semester? And where's our open scholarship to park a transfer student this year?

paultzman

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 10:20:35 AM »
There is no roster spot now for Steere if he chose to leave NC State immediately. His slot would count towards roster limit. Thus, it would have to be in the Spring when spot opens up, unless a current player leaves before that.

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 11:42:48 AM »
There is no roster spot now for Steere if he chose to leave NC State immediately. His slot would count towards roster limit. Thus, it would have to be in the Spring when spot opens up, unless a current player leaves before that.

I'm not sure how that works. If there is "walk-on" ability for any of the guys.

QuanMan

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 12:07:44 PM »
My apologies on the exhibition, corrected.
Section 3
Section 116

paultzman

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2018, 07:05:57 PM »

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 09:18:04 PM »
Would we even be an option

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 11:20:24 PM »

We'll be in the mix. I like the chances due to fit/need/culture.

goredmen

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2018, 11:25:14 PM »

Who gets shipped out of town to make room for him?

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2018, 11:31:00 PM »

I don't think anyone needs to. I think there will be a way to get someone to walk on.

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2018, 08:51:53 AM »

I don't think anyone needs to. I think there will be a way to get someone to walk on.
Earlington or Caraher move to walk on?

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2018, 10:04:25 AM »
He isn’t a Lovett with all the schools. I think it’s more simply being uninformed and he blew up late. So wasn’t feeling Creighton and a panic commitment to local NC State.

He also played at three high schools.

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2018, 12:25:26 PM »

You wouldn't want this...

https://youtu.be/6uQQK3Qw0bQ

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2018, 02:28:58 PM »

You wouldn't want this...

https://youtu.be/6uQQK3Qw0bQ
m

Kid needs to learn to use his left.

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2018, 04:12:17 PM »

How would they do that?
How do you get someone to start paying a dime in tuition.
Or do you change to an academic scholarship.