Johnathan McGriff - PG - Huntington Prep - ST. JOHN'S

• 39 replies
Re: Johnathan McGriff - Huntington Prep
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2019, 11:37:56 AM »
McGriff announcing around 12 according to his twitter

Re: Johnathan McGriff - Huntington Prep
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2019, 12:22:41 PM »
Just committed to SJU. Welcome Johnathan.  I really think this kid's skills could fit CMA's style well.

Kudos to Marillac who had this a day early ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 12:26:18 PM by colelatshaw2010 »

Re: Johnathan McGriff - PG - Huntington Prep - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2019, 12:43:09 PM »
Welcome aboard!  Desperately needed a PG...like his offer list.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Johnny23

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2019, 12:58:31 PM »
Good pickup. Exactly the type of penetrating PG this roster has so sorely needed.

QuanMan

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2019, 01:52:01 PM »
WE ARE
Section 3
Section 116

Foad

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2019, 02:09:39 PM »
Shamorie Palms.

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2019, 10:21:27 PM »
This is great news. In all his time at Arkansas I've never seen Mike bring in a PG that fit as well as how it seems McGriff will.

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2019, 08:47:59 AM »
This is great news. In all his time at Arkansas I've never seen Mike bring in a PG that fit as well as how it seems McGriff will.
Unfortunately he never got the opportunity to coach Justice Hill.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 08:53:04 AM by jumpinjohnny »

Johnny23

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2019, 08:54:40 AM »

This kid is a prime example of the bball talent hotbeds that Mike now has access to all within a 4 hour drive down I-95. A ton of under the radar kids he can now check out in NYC, NJ, Philly, Maryland and DC. Some of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country. Yes he's pulled talent from talented areas in the South/Midwest but now he's got an even richer patch to farm when he's looking at more "local" kids.

Marillac

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2019, 07:38:37 PM »
I’ve drastically upgraded my take on McGriff after watching more tape. I’m very pleased with this addition. I’m all in on him.

QuanMan

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2019, 09:33:13 AM »
John McGriff♛

@yooo_john
 8m
8 minutes ago

More
Signing at my school 3:30
Section 3
Section 116

derk

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2019, 11:32:40 AM »
I’ve drastically upgraded my take on McGriff after watching more tape. I’m very pleased with this addition. I’m all in on him.

What did you upgrade ?

Foad

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2019, 01:53:14 PM »
What did you upgrade ?

Having taken both sides he's upgraded his odds of having been right all along.

Marillac

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2019, 11:13:23 AM »
What did you upgrade ?

My opinion of him. I think he’s a very good pickup. I’d like to see him play with a stud PG as he seems more like a 2nd PG at this level. That is an extremely important role.

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2019, 01:15:12 PM »
My opinion of him. I think he’s a very good pickup. I’d like to see him play with a stud PG as he seems more like a 2nd PG at this level. That is an extremely important role.
Think he meant details-duh-what about him did you learn (ie. basketball skill wise, leadership qualities) that you upgraded your opinion of him?

Marillac

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2019, 11:21:04 AM »
Think he meant details-duh-what about him did you learn (ie. basketball skill wise, leadership qualities) that you upgraded your opinion of him?

I severely underestimated his handle based on insufficient (even for me) video.

After watching more of him I came away impressed. As I’ve made it painfully clear over the years, I strongly believe that second natural ball-handler is HUGE for teams. IMO that held us back more than a lack of a big man last year and we were terrible up front.

I’m not trying to play it both ways as Foad opined, I just rushed my first opinion which was lukewarm.

I now think he’ll make a terrific second PG playing behind and at times with a kid like Thornton this coming season and a kid like Curbello after that.

Looks like a four year player you build around and who does some quiet damage as an upperclassman in 18-24 minutes.

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2019, 11:40:58 AM »
I severely underestimated his handle based on insufficient (even for me) video.

After watching more of him I came away impressed. As I’ve made it painfully clear over the years, I strongly believe that second natural ball-handler is HUGE for teams. IMO that held us back more than a lack of a big man last year and we were terrible up front.

I’m not trying to play it both ways as Foad opined, I just rushed my first opinion which was lukewarm.

I now think he’ll make a terrific second PG playing behind and at times with a kid like Thornton this coming season and a kid like Curbello after that.

Looks like a four year player you build around and who does some quiet damage as an upperclassman in 18-24 minutes.
Glad to hear you've changed your mind on McGriff Marillac.  I was very impressed with his handle, speed, defense and passing ability from the videos I've seen.  His jump shot will definitely need some work but I think he can be a very serviceable back up point guard. 100% agree with you that I would be ecstatic with the pg position if McGriff is the backup to Thornton this year.

Marillac

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2019, 10:59:31 PM »
Glad to hear you've changed your mind on McGriff Marillac.  I was very impressed with his handle, speed, defense and passing ability from the videos I've seen.  His jump shot will definitely need some work but I think he can be a very serviceable back up point guard. 100% agree with you that I would be ecstatic with the pg position if McGriff is the backup to Thornton this year.

For defense, I’m going on what others say about him. I haven’t seen him play D. I have seen the Champagnie kid play against Cardinal Hayes and it wasn’t pretty.

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2019, 09:24:28 AM »
For defense, I’m going on what others say about him. I haven’t seen him play D. I have seen the Champagnie kid play against Cardinal Hayes and it wasn’t pretty.
Ugh not good to hear about Champagnie.  Hopefully staff views him as more of a end of the bench/ project type.

There's a pretty good youtube video of McGriff playing D on Julian Newman who used to be considered one of the best players in his age group when he first started playing varsity basketball in the fifth grade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycaHUbxkyz4&t=1081s