Derryck Thornton - PG - USC Grad Transfer

• 72 replies

TONYD3

Re: Derryck Thornton - PG - USC Grad Transfer
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2019, 06:05:04 PM »
Mullin had every opportunity to bring in a sorely needed big man last year and that was a monumental fail. That big that he did not get could've saved his job.

It's silly to talk about what Anderson has done in recruiting so far without seeing him coach a game.
I have no idea what happened with Yakwe. He wasn’t great. Mullin should have not thrown him in the garbage. Yakwe has plenty of flaws. But he could have helped out the last 2 years.

Johnny23

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2019, 06:14:22 PM »
I have no idea what happened with Yakwe. He wasn’t great. Mullin should have not thrown him in the garbage. Yakwe has plenty of flaws. But he could have helped out the last 2 years.

Even without Yakwe there were so many guys out there who could've given this team a much needed inside presence this past season.

Femi automatically comes to mind and he looked like Charles Barkley against us this season. I said we would regret not signing him and it played out exactly as such. LI kid, small school and chooses DePaul over SJU. Inexcusable.

Foad

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2019, 06:53:10 PM »
Mullin should have not thrown him in the garbage.

Good grief sling blade. Thanks to Mullin's masterful tutelage Yakwe graduated early and then went on to get a graduate degree at UConn - where under the great Danny Hurley he had about the worst year of his career. Mmm Mmm. I consider a young man from Mali who's availed the opportunity to earn several college degrees a success story, as opposed to garbage, but then you are a public school teacher, so there's that.

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2019, 08:39:31 PM »
Marvin Clark wasn’t worth and it and neither was justin Simon. Ok. Guys that have never played also not worth it just because I said so. Ok.

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2019, 09:02:14 PM »
I’m not passing final judgment. I am simply expressing my concerns over the quality of kids we have been involved with and the inability to get even a decent grad transfer in a market that has an embrassment of riches.

Mullin’s staff was able to get Justin Simon and Marvin Clark when the team was awful—and Owens even earlier. Why are we dealing with the likes of Monmouth backups?

Anyone who isn’t concerned isn’t paying attention.

I’d m or a Durand Johnson quality player at PG. Is that too much to ask?

Clark and Simon didn’t sign until after Mullins first year. All were saying is to give MA at least a season before we judge his capabilities as a recruiter here.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2019, 07:24:38 PM »
Clark and Simon didn’t sign until after Mullins first year. All were saying is to give MA at least a season before we judge his capabilities as a recruiter here.

I think everyone is overreacting to anyone having strong opinions one way or another.

It’s fair to criticize or be concerned with recruiting so far and moving forward.

It doesn’t mean you don’t think Anderson can’t recruit or won’t but taking two steps back to take one forward isn’t a winning formula either.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

SJUFAN

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2019, 03:33:31 AM »
I think everyone is overreacting to anyone having strong opinions one way or another.

It’s fair to criticize or be concerned with recruiting so far and moving forward.

It doesn’t mean you don’t think Anderson can’t recruit or won’t but taking two steps back to take one forward isn’t a winning formula either.

You have doubts CMA will land higher rated recruits? Landed plenty while at Arkansas. He’ll build relationships locally and it will translate into landing good local talent. Trust the process.

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2019, 05:11:09 AM »
Simon, the DPOY wasn't worth it? Ok guy!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 05:11:49 AM by Redy2Rumble »

TONYD3

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2019, 09:47:26 AM »
Simon, the DPOY wasn't worth it? Ok guy!
Simon plus Clarke CERTAINLY wasn’t worth it. In 3 years they finished in 8th, 9th and 7th. Those teams absolutely could have used more depth. The sit out transfer idea was ridiculous.

Simon was my favorite player of the mullin debacle. I am not sure getting only 2 years out of him was a smart move. He can do anything with life he wants. So if he chooses to go pro, good for him Bad for us. I have no idea if the staff knew he wanted to leave early when they recruited him. As much as I am a fan of his, he wasn’t great. The fact that he is a terrible offensive player contributed to plenty of losses.

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2019, 10:19:39 AM »
Simon plus Clarke CERTAINLY wasn’t worth it. In 3 years they finished in 8th, 9th and 7th. Those teams absolutely could have used more depth. The sit out transfer idea was ridiculous.

Simon was my favorite player of the mullin debacle. I am not sure getting only 2 years out of him was a smart move. He can do anything with life he wants. So if he chooses to go pro, good for him Bad for us. I have no idea if the staff knew he wanted to leave early when they recruited him. As much as I am a fan of his, he wasn’t great. The fact that he is a terrible offensive player contributed to plenty of losses.

What does having those two guys have to do with lack of depth?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

ras

« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2019, 11:01:38 AM »
Simon and Clark were definitely worth it. Clark wasn’t a 5. Him like Heron were forced to play out of position,which didn’t help. Dixon was a waste of 1 1/2 years of scholarships . The problem ,as everyone knows, was we needed at least another big plus depth, a pure pg would  also have been nice.

pmg911

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2019, 10:29:02 AM »
does anyone know if Thornton committed anywhere..?

tnice

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2019, 12:02:24 PM »
does anyone know if Thornton committed anywhere..?

Boston College, just a few minutes ago

wpc77

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2019, 01:17:45 PM »
Boston College, just a few minutes ago

What an odd choice.  BC's coach has gotten one kid into the NBA during 5 years there, and has a record of 62-100 (.383) there, with a 14-17 record last season.  Thought for sure he would be at Zaga to maximize opportunity to get into the NBA or a high level Euro league.

Foad

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2019, 05:32:46 PM »
What an odd choice.  BC's coach has gotten one kid into the NBA during 5 years there, and has a record of 62-100 (.383) there, with a 14-17 record last season.  Thought for sure he would be at Zaga to maximize opportunity to get into the NBA or a high level Euro league.

Other than Bobby Portis Coach Third Choice at Arkansas has had three players play 13 NBA games. Not exactly awe-inspiring. And Zaga's NBA players are mostly bigs. Compare that to the favorable press ACC players get and maybe he made the right decision.   

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2019, 06:25:23 PM »
Other than Bobby Portis Coach Third Choice at Arkansas has had three players play 13 NBA games. Not exactly awe-inspiring. And Zaga's NBA players are mostly bigs. Compare that to the favorable press ACC players get and maybe he made the right decision.   

Boston College is the DePaul of the ACC. How much favorable press do DePaul players get? Wonder if he will feel he made the right decision when BC gets pounded by Duke, UNC, Virginia and the other top 25 teams he will play every night. Gonzaga was the smart choice, St Johns was the better choice, but he chose BC. Good luck.

Foad

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2019, 06:53:36 PM »
Boston College is the DePaul of the ACC. How much favorable press do DePaul players get?

How many Depaul games are on ESPN?

wpc77

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2019, 09:26:46 PM »
How many Depaul games are on ESPN?

BC had one last year. DePaul zero

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2019, 10:22:36 PM »

Simon left because Mullin left. This isn’t ancient history it happened 2 months ago.

Poison

« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2019, 10:42:14 PM »
Simon left because Mullin left. This isn’t ancient history it happened 2 months ago.

How do you know that?