Julian Champagnie - SF - ST. JOHN’S

• 129 replies
Re: Julian Champagnie - SF - ST. JOHN’S
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2020, 10:06:59 PM »
I guess I don't know exactly what "wouldn't sniff" means.  Battle's averaging 3 ppg, Bishop averaged 1.6 over 10 games then transferred, Gantt's averaging 2.6.  He's on par with Lopex, who's averaging .7 ppg.   Champagnie's averaging 10 ppg, 6.5 rebs, shooting 45% from the field and 32% from 3.  The craziest part is that he's actually improved over the last 10 games, as his usage has increased against really good competition.

I'm not trying to pile on, because there were a lot of bad takes in this thread.  This is just to say that maybe this staff of professionals really does know how to identify talent and we should give them some time to build the roster with their guys before saying they can't recruit.   

Look I've repeatedly said consistently throughout the season Champagnie has been pleasant surprise and has really bought into his role. Where and how he's playing is different than he was in high school. He's playing at high confidence level and as a freshman which is big for his development.

As far as comparing him to players I previously mentioned I don't think it's fair to use their stats when potential/talent doesn't dictate usage evenly across all teams. By this argument Champagnie is better than Wendall Moore on Duke.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2020, 11:25:17 PM »
Here’s my take away on Champagnie. Coach started him, we all saw some potential. Mid-season, he loses his way some for whatever reason. He comes off the bench. He works. He starts again.

One thing I’ve noticed, now he’s not hesitating offensively. He’s a big dude who can put it on the floor and finish. Love to see him go to a big man camp this summer and learn a post up game.

I think he could give us 13 and 7.5 next year. That might get him on an all BE 3rd team. We’re gonna need him.

Excited to see what he brings to the Georgetown game.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 11:25:52 PM by Poison »

« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2020, 12:33:55 AM »
Here’s my take away on Champagnie. Coach started him, we all saw some potential. Mid-season, he loses his way some for whatever reason. He comes off the bench. He works. He starts again.

One thing I’ve noticed, now he’s not hesitating offensively. He’s a big dude who can put it on the floor and finish. Love to see him go to a big man camp this summer and learn a post up game.

I think he could give us 13 and 7.5 next year. That might get him on an all BE 3rd team. We’re gonna need him.

Excited to see what he brings to the Georgetown game.

I think this is a good take away. I'm less concerned with numbers as I am with him playing to his strengths and limiting his weaknesses.

His commitment to rebounding the ball and playing a role down low was something I didn't expect. If he can add on some muscle and become true stretch 4 that's big. As a 3 he wasn't skillful or athletic enough for this level but as a 4 he's got a chance.

Kudos again to him working hard, buying in, and never sulking. That's what we want out of St. John's players.

Foad

« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2020, 08:48:47 AM »
good job. You win the internet today

Not the whole thing Shirley, just the small corner where you attempted reasoning.

Poison

« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2020, 10:51:57 AM »
I think this is a good take away. I'm less concerned with numbers as I am with him playing to his strengths and limiting his weaknesses.

His commitment to rebounding the ball and playing a role down low was something I didn't expect. If he can add on some muscle and become true stretch 4 that's big. As a 3 he wasn't skillful or athletic enough for this level but as a 4 he's got a chance.

Kudos again to him working hard, buying in, and never sulking. That's what we want out of St. John's players.

Dave, I appreciate you are being a big man about this and giving Champagnie is due.

However, it should be dually noted that Dave was 100% right to be concerned about our recruiting. I love how hard Rutherford plays, but he’s outclassed at this level. Dunn is playing out of position, and I can’t figure out if he has a position. He’s not a point guard. He can’t shoot, so he’s not a shooting guard. You can’t be the guy who puts it on the floor and penetrates if they know you’re not gonna take a three. He reminds me a lot of Colin Charles. Another out of control speed demon who couldn’t shoot thanks to Brian Mahoney’s unique talent for finding the worst lead guards in the country year after year. Sears may help some next season. He had some moments this season, such as Arizona, but he’s not at all comfortable out there. I’m hoping he can give us leadership and minutes off the bench. The guy is in shape, and he does have some skills.

That said, while there are guards to replace Rutherford, Heron and maybe LJ, I think we need much more size than Sears, this twig juco and Josh Roberts, who we don’t even know will be recovered from shoulder surgery and be ready in time for the 20-21 season. I had thought Ian Steere was out the door, but maybe not.

What do you think? Can Coach Anderson reel in some game changers?

« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2020, 11:43:12 AM »

but as a 4 he's got a chance.

You think?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2020, 11:51:55 PM »
You think?

What happened to you, my man? When did you become so bitter

« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2020, 06:28:43 AM »
What happened to you, my man? When did you become so bitter

Not sure what you’re referring too.

Dave was obviously not a fan. Now he’s changed his stance a bit. Still stating at this point that he “has a chance” (14 & 7 last 9 BE games), isn’t exactly enlightening. Especially when guys are patting him on the back for admitting he was wrong. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2020, 09:15:39 PM »
Not sure what you’re referring too.

Dave was obviously not a fan. Now he’s changed his stance a bit. Still stating at this point that he “has a chance” (14 & 7 last 9 BE games), isn’t exactly enlightening. Especially when guys are patting him on the back for admitting he was wrong. 

I think a lot of you guys get caught up on who's right or wrong instead of enjoying the discussion and debate that is sports. I think he played pretty well this year and was way more ready to contribute than I ever thought. I'll take being pleasantly surprised any and every day.

Champagnie can be our Sadiq Bey (also a big surprise for Nova) but he has to continue to fine tune his game and strengthen his body.

We also can't have guys like him be the best recruit of the class. You need the studs first and then a guy like Champagnie / Bey to become a pleasant surprise to compliment and round off a roster.

goredmen

« Reply #129 on: May 11, 2021, 12:16:03 PM »
I could care less if a player is 3, 4, or no stars. It's more about potential, production, and how the player has competed against his peers. For instance he wouldn't sniff Gregg Gant at Providence, Dahmir Bishop at Xavier, or Khalif Battle at Butler. He might be on par with Oscar Lopez at DePaul who's also a bit of a reach but Lopez who's nickname is the Lion plays incredibly hard.

Oof