Julian Champagnie - SF - ST. JOHN’S

• 129 replies

TONYD3

Re: Julian Champagnie - SF - ST. JOHN’S
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2019, 06:32:21 AM »
I would rather take a chance on a NYC kid then Brian Trimble, a sit out transfer, or another European. At this stage this is a great pick up. Cincinnati offered which should mean the kid is tough.
Saying negative things about this staff and these recruits after staying quiet for 4 years while we had the worst staff in the country and we were 30 games under .500 seems odd.

Foad

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2019, 07:36:09 AM »
You got me. Big conspiracy to drive posts.

We're only days away from the big reveal where he proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that you're Realfan.

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2019, 08:21:40 AM »
On the money TonyD

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2019, 08:50:05 AM »
These commentators and reporters have to stop saying- such  a good get because he is a local guy. No, that is not the reason he is a good get- he is a good get because he has the size we need and will provide us with some solid depth until he grows into a great player. He has the stature for it too. Also a good get because the staff proved early on they can beat other quality programs in getting a decent player and now they have an "alumni blood" player which may bode well for us in future, taking care of our own. His father was SJU soccer alum.

People have to realize though that the days of just getting NY talent makes you a contender or should be lauded extra are gone. NYs best for most part prep out to other areas. Basketball recruiting has become national with the rise of AAU programs and talent elsewhere. As long as we win, who cares, local or not!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 08:50:25 AM by friendofjohnnie »

Foad

« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2019, 09:29:28 AM »
Anyone else take Champs (®) calling himself a "hometown hero" while wearing his father's jersey as a dig at his brother for committing to Pitt?

TONYD3

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2019, 10:05:45 AM »
These commentators and reporters have to stop saying- such  a good get because he is a local guy. No, that is not the reason he is a good get- he is a good get because he has the size we need and will provide us with some solid depth until he grows into a great player. He has the stature for it too. Also a good get because the staff proved early on they can beat other quality programs in getting a decent player and now they have an "alumni blood" player which may bode well for us in future, taking care of our own. His father was SJU soccer alum.

People have to realize though that the days of just getting NY talent makes you a contender or should be lauded extra are gone. NYs best for most part prep out to other areas. Basketball recruiting has become national with the rise of AAU programs and talent elsewhere. As long as we win, who cares, local or not!
I agree with most of what you said. Except their is plenty of talent in NY. We should get our share and stop making excuses why we don’t. Being NY’s team shouldn’t  just be a slogan for a tee shirt.

TONYD3

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2019, 10:22:27 AM »
We're only days away from the big reveal where he proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that you're Realfan.
No conspiracy. But Dave was very quiet as he watched your boy collect 8 million dollars. He sat behind the bench plenty. He saw what happened. He knows more about that staff then any of us.
I wish he would have spoke up earlier.

Only conspiracy was Chris Mullin was doing a good job. Give him a pass and a chance.
Dave is probably right about the player. He has probably watched him the most. But he was one of the best available players left. We also beat out a few teams for him.

QuanMan

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2019, 10:36:25 AM »
Both of the twins have improved each year throughout HS. Having locals on the team is essential, I would've given my left arm for former Loughlin kids Keith Williams, Mike Williams or Khadeen. If Julian improves at the same rate and has the same amount of moxie as them we're in for a good 4 years with him.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2019, 10:45:17 AM »
Anyone else take Champs (®) calling himself a "hometown hero" while wearing his father's jersey as a dig at his brother for committing to Pitt?
Yes he hates his evil twin. Maybe his brother is pulling a reverse Malik Ellison.

« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2019, 10:46:33 AM »
No conspiracy. But Dave was very quiet as he watched your boy collect 8 million dollars. He sat behind the bench plenty. He saw what happened. He knows more about that staff then any of us.

Only conspiracy was Chris Mullin was doing a good job. Give him a pass and a chance.
Dave is probably right about the player. He has probably watched him the most. But he was one of the best available players left. We also beat out a few teams for him.
8 million? He didn't just walk away from the 4 million left on his contract.

Marillac

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2019, 10:49:55 AM »
The brother with the hair is CLEARLY better. I don’t think that’s the kid we got though. Seems like a reach to me.

He looks like a faceup 4 that can maybe defend a few spots year one in a fast paced system—if he is coached up. He plays way too high on defense and uses his hands more than his feet. Appears to have some bad habits.

I like kids that played soccer as they tend to understand angles and seeing a few moves ahead of time. I would expect that his dad had him playing soccer as well at some point.

With kids like this it all comes down to work ethic and willingness to play a role that benefits the team.

I wouldn’t have offered.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 11:10:16 AM by Marillac »

Foad

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2019, 11:17:09 AM »
I wish

I was thinkin' I'm gonna take me some of these taters home with me, mmm, mmm

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2019, 11:50:37 AM »

Great points on NY recruiting FOJ.  I hate the idea that some of the older crowd seem to have of only wanting new york area players. The other important point to remember is that most of the higher rated players escape NY to finish HS or to prep in another state ala Cole Anthony and Rawle Alkins.  It's vitally important for us not to limit ourselves to the ny metro area.  Recruiting is now a national game.

I'm not very impressed with the Julian commit but it doesn't seem like he'll be expected to contribute anything his first year and if it can help develop good relationships in NY for Macon and CMA then I'm completely fine with it.  I definitely need to see this staff land some 4 stars in 2020.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 02:15:20 PM by colelatshaw2010 »

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2019, 12:10:59 PM »

Tony, not sure what you're inferring. I don't think the school should have let go of Mullin. I've said that plenty. The issue was there needed to be major staff changes.

As for being one of the best available Champagnie was probably one of them. I would do whatever I could to convince Nah'shon Hyland to reclassify to 2019 and let him know he's my PG of the future, I'd look into Derryck Thorton to have a platoon option, and I'd put out a contact to Tevin Mack an excellent perimeter shooter with size.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2019, 01:45:20 PM »
Tony, not sure what you're inferring. I don't think the school should have let go of Mullin. I've said that plenty. The issue was there needed to be major staff changes.

It was more than simply staff changes IMO.  Besides, he had opportunities to make those changes, and it didn't happen.  Water under the bridge now. 

I would do whatever I could to convince Nah'shon Hyland to reclassify to 2019 and let him know he's my PG of the future, I'd look into Derryck Thorton to have a platoon option, and I'd put out a contact to Tevin Mack an excellent perimeter shooter with size.

We finally agree!  All across the board right here.  I think I once mentioned Hyland on the other board (I know I mentioned Mack). 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 01:45:52 PM by mjdinkins »

SJUFAN

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2019, 05:58:46 PM »
I definitely trust Dave's eyes and opinion since he's been around the game watching kids all the time for the past decade. He is a St. John's fan and definitely wants them to win from what I can tell from his posts.

Although I agree he’s a fan he’s been uncharacteristically vocal and critical of the moves beginning with the CMA hire. It’s a head scratcher.

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2019, 06:31:22 PM »
It was more than simply staff changes IMO.  Besides, he had opportunities to make those changes, and it didn't happen.  Water under the bridge now. 

We finally agree!  All across the board right here.  I think I once mentioned Hyland on the other board (I know I mentioned Mack). 

'major staff changes' i think was not at the top of the list.  mullin himself needed to change. from all accounts he ran the program like a gm.  no way was that approach ever going to be successful.  for all the talk about being 'blue-collar' type of guy, he certainly didn't behave that way.  so no matter who came on as assistants, if he wasn't willing to change and role up his sleeves, he was never going to work.  simple as that.

Dan

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2019, 09:18:13 PM »
Dave is more vocal not because of Mullin (although he has said he should have been retained) but because of his buddy Matt A and his exodus from Jamaica.

goredmen

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2019, 10:37:40 PM »
Dave is more vocal not because of Mullin (although he has said he should have been retained) but because of his buddy Matt A and his exodus from Jamaica.

I think it's more that Dave has a lot of connections to local guys that either want to be a part of SJU or want a another local guy to turn the ship around and that it was kind of a slap in the face when they instead hired a guy from the south with zero connections to this area