Potential Recruits

• 18 replies
Potential Recruits
« on: July 26, 2010, 01:37:16 PM »
Who are the 5 players you think the staff has a realistic shot at signing for next years class and be happy with? and Where do you see this team finishing in the big east next year wit the new coaches and Poole being added to the group of seniors?

Re: Potential Recruits
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 04:44:25 PM »
jakar sampson..myles mack..mourice harkless..pelle...amir garrett

hope we have a legit shot at any of..nick johnson..jabari brown..lebryan nash and some other high profile guys
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 04:48:02 PM »
i was thinking tavon sledge but instead wrote myles mack...either way i think we have a good shot at both

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 07:40:11 PM »
I'll say Sledge, Jakarr Sampson, Maurice Harkless, Mike Taylor, Norvelle Pelle.

It sure would be nice to get an elite level PG...it makes so much of a difference on the college level and its been a long time since we had one.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 07:47:05 PM »

hope we have a legit shot at any of..nick johnson..jabari brown..lebryan nash and some other high profile guys
Your first five would be a borderline top 15 class, but we'd need to add some bulk up front.
I've heard two other schools are high on Mack's list, but he's been receiving most of his interest from currently second-tier high-major programs.  JaKarr will hopefully qualify. Pelle is a head case, but has potential. I talked with your other three this weekend and Lavin's best shot is Nick.

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 09:03:12 PM »

Your first five would be a borderline top 15 class, but we'd need to add some bulk up front.
I've heard two other schools are high on Mack's list, but he's been receiving most of his interest from currently second-tier high-major programs.  JaKarr will hopefully qualify. Pelle is a head case, but has potential. I talked with your other three this weekend and Lavin's best shot is Nick.

Great! Nick Johnson should be#1 on Lavins list. WE get this kid, we are in business

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 09:05:42 PM »

What do you think of Sledge ?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 09:22:59 PM »
Realistic: Nick Johnson.  Tavon Sledge.  God's Gift Achiuwa.  Cezar Guerrero.  I don't have a feeling about the fifth so Myles Mack or Remi Barry, assuming he doesn't qualify.  I bet there will be at least one guy we've barely heard of from the Philly area or DMV.  Maybe a foreign player.  Hopefully another JUCO forward.

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 01:23:09 AM »

only boarderline top 15?  jakarr, mourice, pelle, and garrett are all top 75 players and mack isnt far behind. i think that warrants top ten.

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 08:27:17 AM »

only boarderline top 15?  jakarr, mourice, pelle, and garrett are all top 75 players and mack isnt far behind. i think that warrants top ten.

I may even go top 5 (with that particular class), consideirng Sampson's, Mack's and Harkless's ratings are gonna go up.  Pelle's and Garrett's rankings may stay even keel or may slightly improve when the next rankings come out.

Possibly, add a Johnson, Brown or Nash with a sixth player and you would be talking about a top 3 class (it would be #1, if we were to add Nash) for 2011.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 09:51:19 AM »
Some outlets considered the 2007 class (the team's seniors) a top-25 class because they had a number of solidly regarded recruits.  This class will be better but don't get all excited about the rankings - it should be a top class if you're bringing in that many top-level recruits.  The question should be more about what's their ceiling or how quickly can they be impact players.

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 03:46:34 PM »

I don't think he's a program changer, like some of the others that they initially targeted.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 03:52:37 PM »
I don't think he's a program changer, like some of the others that they initially targeted.
But that's fine - good player, role players, guys who fit in a system - that's needed too. 

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 04:07:10 PM »
But that's fine - good player, role players, guys who fit in a system - that's needed too. 
Certainly, role players will be needed if they do land high-caliber players.
Personally, I'd rather have my point guard be more than a "role player," but, if this hypothetical pg acts as a facilitator on offense for the real talent, STJ can win enough.

I guess my aspirations for the program are to be a consistent top 25 program and top 4 in the currently constituted BE. Some of the other players initially targeted help to achieve those goals faster.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 05:31:14 PM »
Certainly, role players will be needed if they do land high-caliber players.
Personally, I'd rather have my point guard be more than a "role player," but, if this hypothetical pg acts as a facilitator on offense for the real talent, STJ can win enough.

I guess my aspirations for the program are to be a consistent top 25 program and top 4 in the currently constituted BE. Some of the other players initially targeted help to achieve those goals faster.
I don't think Tavon will be the only point guard (or guy who can handle the point) that will come.  If he is, well... then I guess they're waiting for 2012 and Javon Thomas or someone like that.  I envision (hopefully) Nick Johnson, maybe, running the point since Lavin and crew are late to the PG party; if he's on a squad with (let's say) Polee, Harkless, Remi Barry, [JUCO forward], they'll want to fit him in the starting 5 if he doesn't embarrass himself as a lead guard. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 02:22:37 PM by peter »

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 03:17:46 PM »
I have no clue as to which kids are most likely, but I like seeing ST Johns in multiple final 5 lists.
Obviously you take all the top 75 kids that want to sign in the fall period.

But realistically, timeing wise (assuming no very late '10's) with 10 to allocate:
1-2 JUCO's in spring '11
2 saved for 2012
1-2 spring frosh... leaves
4-6 LOI's needed this fall ? (take more only if impact ?)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 03:19:50 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 03:20:42 PM »

But realistically, timeing wise (assuming no very late '10's) with 10 to allocate:

1-2 JUCO's in spring '11
2 saved for 2012
I say 5 in the fall; and by impact, not just top-75ers, but guys who the staff feels they can develop (like Tavon Sledge, possibly).

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 05:44:17 PM »
I have no clue as to which kids are most likely, but I like seeing ST Johns in multiple final 5 lists.

1-2 JUCO's in spring '11
2 saved for 2012

From what I heard a few weeks ago....  The staff will take more than 4-6 LOI's, if the kid(s) are of the impact variety.

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 09:15:27 AM »

1-2 JUCO's in spring '11
2 saved for 2012

From what I heard a few weeks ago....  The staff will take more than 4-6 LOI's, if the kid(s) are of the impact variety.

Yea, that's exactly what I said on last line.

I wonder if the kids, knowing that we have 10 spots to fill, know that there
 is so much room that they can take longer with us than other schools.

I think/hope  once we get 1-2 early 2010's the floodgates open.

btw, whats with the NCAA & French student/athletes ? There should be a rule that they MUST decide
within 90 days after transcripts are submitted to give a kid time to choose a school.
If kids know in time that 1-2 classes are not "accepted" they might be able even to retake in Sr year?

Molloy '71