Starting 5 ---2015/16?

• 160 replies

sju89tr

Re: Starting 5 ---2015/16?
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2015, 07:35:20 PM »
I personally like the videos of Sammy

So, do I.  I wanna keep him.

Maybe he redshirts ?

That's possible.  It all depends on who we bring in. 

I am at a loss to consider what happens to Myles Stewart. I really like him.

I like him, as well.  Don't forget about Henderson, either. 

Both can be scholarship players elsewhere but getting ships at this time at SJU will be hard

Poison

« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2015, 09:01:14 AM »
what about jay henderson, i think he stays also

He is a puzzling walk on, was he promised a ship for this year to come? He is a Div 1 talent at a mid major. Probably was a higher caliber recruit that fellow walk on Myles Stewart. My guess is that Henderson transfers to a mid major in Florida or somewhere down south.   
Loves NYC. We'll see

His dad played at Penn State

I feel sorry for Lavin's favorite wlk-on, David Lipscombe. He must feel like he lost his second father. 

I actually feel bad for David Lipscomb. I know this will sound a bit crazy, but from I saw of him in exhibitions and early games, I think he could have played at a low major program and had a nice career. No reason to pick on him because Lavin liked him. Lavin was right to like him, and to stack the team with walk one that could potentially contribute down the road.

Stewart, from what I've seen is either hot from 3, or completely useless. He didn't do anything other look to get open for a 3, and he wasn't doing that very well in limited time. Henderson didn't get a chance to play. He looked good at the open practice and in exhibitions early, but as we've learned time and again, that doesn't tell you the story of the player.

« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2015, 08:26:28 AM »
Mullin should dump guys if he needs to open spots.

It's not like he'll make a practice out of it, like Lavin did, to an extent, or drive guys away, but since this is Lavin's team & since a lot of guys don't seem to have major conf talent, as was stated above, now would be the time to dump guys & get away with it because you blame it on the previous regime, and you say, "Circumstances change and every player has to do what's best for them, while at the same time we are trying to field the very best team and build something."

I think they should dump almost everyone.  Let Mullin conduct workouts but then, if you have guys you know you can get, make the necessary releases.

On another note, was talking to an SJU lifer, & he was telling me Jordan looks bad but Sampson looks pretty good.  I was thinking that Sampson may have downgraded us b/c he thought Jordan would be getting his minutes.  It does not seem we are destined to get more than 1 of these kids, if that.  I really like Jordan, think he's making ugly mistake by leaving school.  But Sampson could create a domino effect with other top recruits, and we may end up with a landmark class if that happens.

I'm not that optimistic.  But the possibility is there to land Mussini, Sampson, Diallo, +.

Johnny23

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2015, 08:34:12 AM »
If I had to pick one of the two, it'd be Sampson, just saying. I don't think Mullin tolerates Jordan's coddled, troubled act one bit.

TONYD3

« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2015, 08:34:13 AM »
This is big time basketball. If players deserve scholarships they should get them. If not they have to pay for school like everyone else. I never want to pay to see Christian jones play basketball again.

Poison

« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2015, 09:21:18 AM »
This is big time basketball. If players deserve scholarships they should get them. If not they have to pay for school like everyone else. I never want to pay to see Christian jones play basketball again.

It's disappointing, but it's true. He plays like he doesn't care. Maybe he'll surprise us and man up over the summer?

ras

« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2015, 11:01:37 AM »
Mullin should dump guys if he needs to open spots.

It's not like he'll make a practice out of it, like Lavin did, to an extent, or drive guys away, but since this is Lavin's team & since a lot of guys don't seem to have major conf talent, as was stated above, now would be the time to dump guys & get away with it because you blame it on the previous regime, and you say, "Circumstances change and every player has to do what's best for them, while at the same time we are trying to field the very best team and build something."

I think they should dump almost everyone.  Let Mullin conduct workouts but then, if you have guys you know you can get, make the necessary releases.

On another note, was talking to an SJU lifer, & he was telling me Jordan looks bad but Sampson looks pretty good.  I was thinking that Sampson may have downgraded us b/c he thought Jordan would be getting his minutes.  It does not seem we are destined to get more than 1 of these kids, if that.  I really like Jordan, think he's making ugly mistake by leaving school.  But Sampson could create a domino effect with other top recruits, and we may end up with a landmark class if that happens.

I'm not that optimistic.  But the possibility is there to land Mussini, Sampson, Diallo, +.
Who do you anticipate being our PG?

« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2015, 09:26:13 PM »
If we get Diaalo and Sampson, then it's a wrap
Jordan PG, Sampson SG, Williams SF, Diallo PF, Opekpa C. With Sima as the 6th man.

Would just need 2 more to go 8 deep. Then after that Mullin could put in Balamou and whoever else from last years bench.

« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2015, 09:28:22 PM »
Jordan PG, Sampson SG, Williams SF, Diallo PF, Opekpa C. With Sima as the 6th man.

Would just need 2 more to go 8 deep. Then after that Mullin could put in Balamou and whoever else from last years bench.

Amar will be better and can contribute.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2015, 09:43:47 PM »
I really want to see adr and aa be part of the rotation next year with a true pg. excited about the addition yakuba, but also have to be realistic in my expectations of young bigs. I like what I have read about him, but it will take time to develop and until co develops an offensive game, aa and adr are gonna have to contribute down low.

« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2015, 10:32:57 PM »

Amar will be better and can contribute.

Forgot about him

desco80

« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2015, 11:21:18 PM »
I really want to see adr and aa be part of the rotation next year with a true pg. excited about the addition yakuba, but also have to be realistic in my expectations of young bigs. I like what I have read about him, but it will take time to develop and until co develops an offensive game, aa and adr are gonna have to contribute down low.

Chris, despite his difficulties, os light years ahead of adr in terms of being a total player.   And Amar really plays a completely different position, face - up 4.   Neither eats into his playing time at all.  And that's assuming adr is even here and elidgible.

« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2015, 11:25:12 AM »
So I have us finishing with Ellison, Mussini and Larrier. Not sure how realistic it is to get Larrier, but he can be an open spot. Hopefully Mussini commits in addition to Ellison though. I did predictions of how we'd do and how we'd rank this past year right under that based on those stats. Anything look unrealistic?

TONYD3

« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2015, 12:11:11 PM »
I would think if we got mussini he would play more then 15 minutes.

hnk

« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2015, 12:12:49 PM »
And he's good for at least 2-3 threes a game plus more.

« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2015, 06:40:56 PM »

I'm not sure. Who's minutes would he take?

TONYD3

« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2015, 06:55:41 PM »

I'm not sure. Who's minutes would he take?
I don't know as much about these guys as some of you. Is Durand a 30 minute guy? The french guy 20 minute? I don't think Amar plays 12 minutes.

Marillac

« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2015, 07:10:36 PM »
So I have us finishing with Ellison, Mussini and Larrier. Not sure how realistic it is to get Larrier, but he can be an open spot. Hopefully Mussini commits in addition to Ellison though. I did predictions of how we'd do and how we'd rank this past year right under that based on those stats. Anything look unrealistic?

I think this is spot on for the most part. I'd drop Jordan 2-3 mpg if we have a second point like Mussini. I'd drop Obekpa from 32 mph to 28-29 just based on foul trouble and injuries. Give those extra minutes to AA.

Durand will be a 30 mpg guy. Maybe drop Ellison down to 15 or so.

« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2015, 07:22:39 PM »
I don't know as much about these guys as some of you. Is Durand a 30 minute guy? The french guy 20 minute? I don't think Amar plays 12 minutes.

Durand is probably our second best scorer in our lineup right now. Some who've watched Pitt practices last year, say he was their best scorer. We need that. He's played 20 minutes before and I think he can make the bump.

Ron M and Mussini would give us similar things next year, but Ron is bigger, stronger and rebounds better. Mussini is a little too small right now. Vet units win (unless you have a ton of one and done studs), so that explains most of my minute decisions.

For all of the stat predictions, I used either their own stats, divided by old minutes multiplied by new, with some of the guys seeing slight increases in play due to a bigger role. I took Mussini's stats in Italy and basically translated them straight to NCAA. Ron and Darien, I downgraded production and some efficiency.  Amar I gave modest NCAA bench guy stats and Sima, I basically copied and pasted Phillip Nolan from UConn's line.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 07:29:10 PM by Save The Hero »

PIB

« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2015, 07:44:54 PM »
Did I miss something?

Terry Larrier? Is there some buzz about him transferring to us?