JaKarr chatter on Twitter

• 308 replies
Re: JaKarr chatter on Twitter
« Reply #240 on: June 25, 2014, 03:22:45 PM »
JaKarr is right. He can develop faster.

Replace class with more practice and weight room. Making money to eat the right food. Also he won't be in the NBA so he won't be rotting at the end of a bench. He'll be just fine in the D-League.

What's the maximum D-league salary?

Salaries remain flat: $25,500, $19,000 and $13,000 for the league's three player classifications, which means D-League players are virtually playing for free -- and a modest per diem on the road of $40 compared to $120 in the NBA -- although they do receive housing and insurance benefits. The D-League also employs a per-team salary cap of $173,000 ... with a dollar-for-dollar luxury tax, just like in the NBA, for teams that go over that amount. Foreign teams that want to pull players out of the D-League must pay $40,000, $45,000 or $50,000, depending on the player's classification, to buy out their D-League deals.

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2014/1/9/5291852/has-the-maximum-nba-d-league-player-salary-increased

LJSA

« Reply #241 on: June 25, 2014, 03:34:36 PM »

Replace class with more practice and weight room. Making money to eat the right food. Also he won't be in the NBA so he won't be rotting at the end of a bench. He'll be just fine in the D-League.

What's the maximum D-league salary?

Salaries remain flat: $25,500, $19,000 and $13,000 for the league's three player classifications, which means D-League players are virtually playing for free -- and a modest per diem on the road of $40 compared to $120 in the NBA -- although they do receive housing and insurance benefits. The D-League also employs a per-team salary cap of $173,000 ... with a dollar-for-dollar luxury tax, just like in the NBA, for teams that go over that amount. Foreign teams that want to pull players out of the D-League must pay $40,000, $45,000 or $50,000, depending on the player's classification, to buy out their D-League deals.

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2014/1/9/5291852/has-the-maximum-nba-d-league-player-salary-increased

Sounds like he won't be just fine in the D-league then if he never progresses past that level. But at least he has that college degree to fall back on.

Marillac

« Reply #242 on: June 25, 2014, 04:56:43 PM »

What are you talking about?  D-League guys are at the poverty level or below. Where is he "making money to eat the right food"?  How can he afford protein shakes, supplements, and the ridiculous calorie load he will need on that salary?  His agent will get a cut of that too.

Any kid that thinks they can develop better in the D-Leauge is off their rocker.  The coaches are MUCH  better at the college level...they have better facilities, video rooms, and strength programs with devoted personnel. 

« Reply #243 on: June 25, 2014, 06:53:43 PM »
In the D-League, the player stands the chance of getting called up to the league.  If it isn't going to happen, the eventually accept that fact and go overseasand make money there.  The problem with staying in college is that the NBA now pegs a kid as a player, or not, early in his college career.  Jakarr is 2 years behind the one and dones.  A third year is not going to improve his draft stock unless he makes some remarkable leap in terms of skills.  Sometimes a kid, such as McDermott, show more in their Jr. and Sr. years than they did early on, and improve their draft stock.  That rarely happens.  If the league doesn't feel you're good enough after 2 years of college ball, it is unlikely that they will draft you later on.

Jakarr did what he feels is best for him.  I think he might have improved enough next year to get drafted, but that is not a certainty.  Just my opinion.

LJSA

« Reply #244 on: June 25, 2014, 08:36:47 PM »
Coming back one more year and making a concerted effort to rebound so that the RPG matches his athleticism certainly would have attracted overseas scouts. Much better than toiling in the D-League in my opinion.

But I guess if you'd prefer to play in Bixby, Okla., or Hidalgo, Texas, instead of Israel, that's your right.

« Reply #246 on: June 26, 2014, 10:12:58 AM »

What are you talking about?  D-League guys are at the poverty level or below. Where is he "making money to eat the right food"?  How can he afford protein shakes, supplements, and the ridiculous calorie load he will need on that salary?  His agent will get a cut of that too.

Any kid that thinks they can develop better in the D-Leauge is off their rocker.  The coaches are MUCH  better at the college level...they have better facilities, video rooms, and strength programs with devoted personnel. 

Or he makes 6 figures overseas.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #247 on: June 26, 2014, 11:29:19 AM »

High 6 figures, or low 6 figures? Because if he's making 200K for 10 years, and he's got no college degree, after taxes, family which he'll no doubt be supporting, and basic life expenses, he'll be a 32 year old man back in the US looking for work, and he'll be qualified to supersize your lunch order.

Tha Kid

« Reply #248 on: June 26, 2014, 12:24:34 PM »

High 6 figures, or low 6 figures? Because if he's making 200K for 10 years, and he's got no college degree, after taxes, family which he'll no doubt be supporting, and basic life expenses, he'll be a 32 year old man back in the US looking for work, and he'll be qualified to supersize your lunch order.

Poison, I think you forget how many of these kids grow up!  If Jakarr can make $2M over the next 10 years, he may be the only person in his family to make that much in their entire lifetimes!  That also gives him another 30 years to make money doing whatever...on top of the $2M (Yes, pre-tax) from the next 10 years.  In all likelihood, it will be even more than that, too.
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #249 on: June 26, 2014, 12:52:07 PM »

Poison, I think you forget how many of these kids grow up!  If Jakarr can make $2M over the next 10 years, he may be the only person in his family to make that much in their entire lifetimes!  That also gives him another 30 years to make money doing whatever...on top of the $2M (Yes, pre-tax) from the next 10 years.  In all likelihood, it will be even more than that, too.

Some do grow up. Most are never heard from again. Everyone keeps saying Jakarr has a good head on his shoulders. It really seems like he doesn't.

As far as his future earnings go, that's my point. It's not possible to count future pay checks. Should he hurt his knee, or his back, that's it. He's got nothing. A college degree from STJ may not be as valuable as degrees from other BE schools, but it's certainly better than no degree. This isn't Moe Harkless, where he knew he was a first round pick. He's unlikely to get picked, because he's simply not good enough to get picked.

And ya know what, 2 million dollars after taxes, when you're not qualified to do anything else, isn't that much money. You're not buying more than a nice house with it, and after that, you've got expenses that are never going away. It's very short-sighted of Jakarr to jump ship now. He could wind up with no job, no degree and an uncertain future in every regard.

SJUFAN

« Reply #250 on: June 26, 2014, 02:04:19 PM »

If he's makin 200k per year he would be qualified to be the owner, not the worker. Many players with degree's still end up broke after their career's are done. Like many althletes, its the decisions that he makes while he is earning that would be the issue. Good luck to him.

Foad

« Reply #251 on: June 26, 2014, 02:31:56 PM »
Should he hurt his knee, or his back, that's it. He's got nothing.

Not to worry: any competent agent will have him insured.

And ya know what, 2 million dollars after taxes, when you're not qualified to do anything else, isn't that much money. 

He'll be qualified to coach basketball, if nothing else. Or he could go to work for Max Hooper's father, or do any one of a thousand other things, including going back to school when he's thirty - which is the new sixteen - and pay for his degree in cash.

boo3

« Reply #252 on: June 26, 2014, 02:53:10 PM »
 200K a year is a damn good living, unless you plan on living in NYC, which, newsflash, everyone doesn't want to do..

That kind of money can provide for a very nice life in many beautiful areas of this country and beyond..

Poison

« Reply #253 on: June 26, 2014, 03:11:45 PM »
Should he hurt his knee, or his back, that's it. He's got nothing.

Not to worry: any competent agent will have him insured.

And ya know what, 2 million dollars after taxes, when you're not qualified to do anything else, isn't that much money. 

He'll be qualified to coach basketball, if nothing else. Or he could go to work for Max Hooper's father, or do any one of a thousand other things, including going back to school when he's thirty - which is the new sixteen - and pay for his degree in cash.

We watched Jakarr play this season, and a good deal of the time, he didn't even know what kind of defense he was supposed to be playing. That's not a coach in the making IMO.

I understand the rationale for leaving from the player's POV. He could blow out his knee next season, and end his basketball playing career. But what if he doesn't get drafted, and doesn't get very much interest overseas? Then what? No degree. Very little basketball money, and no future, and for what? Because he couldn't wait until he was ready?

This ain't Omar Cook. He's not a great rebounder, shooter, dribbler, passer or defender. He's very quick, and athletic. And so are a lot of other guys. Take a look at the starting 5 on a D-League roster. Who does he even start over?

Poison

« Reply #254 on: June 26, 2014, 03:15:16 PM »
200K a year is a damn good living, unless you plan on living in NYC, which, newsflash, everyone doesn't want to do..

That kind of money can provide for a very nice life in many beautiful areas of this country and beyond..

It's not such a damn good living if you stop making that money after 10 years, and you've got a family to support.

« Reply #255 on: June 26, 2014, 03:17:15 PM »
There always seems to be the premise that once a kid leaves school early, he is never allowed to go back and get his degree.  There is also this premise that because he is a basketball player, all he can do is flip burgers.  Maybe he goes back and gets his degree and goes on for a professional degree.  Maybe he becomes a plumber or electrician or goes into construction.  Maybe Real Estate.  Maybe he buys a franchise of some kind.  Let's stop labelling all athletes as having no intelligence.  I've got news for you, if a kid has so little intelligence in the first place, that St. John's degree would probably do little for him in the first place.

Poison

« Reply #256 on: June 26, 2014, 03:27:48 PM »
There always seems to be the premise that once a kid leaves school early, he is never allowed to go back and get his degree.  There is also this premise that because he is a basketball player, all he can do is flip burgers.  Maybe he goes back and gets his degree and goes on for a professional degree.  Maybe he becomes a plumber or electrician or goes into construction.  Maybe Real Estate.  Maybe he buys a franchise of some kind.  Let's stop labelling all athletes as having no intelligence.  I've got news for you, if a kid has so little intelligence in the first place, that St. John's degree would probably do little for him in the first place.

If you're good enough, by all means go pro, and tear it up in the league or even Europe.
But what if you're not good enough?

IMO, Jakarr is very talented, but he's not good enough yet.

LoganK

« Reply #257 on: June 26, 2014, 03:39:11 PM »
I think a lot of people overvalue the benefit of a degree in modern times.  A degree doesn't carry the weight it used to and most graduates are getting jobs in fields other than what they studied. 
200K a year is more than most on this board will make in the most financially prosperous year of their life, let alone most kids in inner cities (generally speaking - I don't know Sampson's family's financial background).  Will it support him the rest of his life?  Of course not!  But neither will the 30k I make...that's why I plan on going to work tomorrow.  It's a lot easier to get started with 200k than it is with 30k, no?
So you tell me, would you rather go to school for four years and come out making 40-50k a year?  Or earn 200k for a few years, and then take your time deciding what you want to be when you grow up?  If I had the option, I'd certainly go with choice B.

« Reply #258 on: June 26, 2014, 03:40:39 PM »
I think he is goo enough to make a decent living in Europe.  If he isn't, he can come back (after earning a few paychecks) and go back to school.  College will still be available to him.

« Reply #259 on: June 26, 2014, 03:42:55 PM »
I have degrees and a job, if you told me I could trade them in for 10 years in europe at 200k/year I would do it in a heartbeat.  That argument is silly. 

The real question, in my mind, is whether he can have that sort of career -- that isn't so clear.