Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies

DFF6

Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 07:20:29 PM »
Interesting.. let's face it, no one will be knocking down Lavin's door for another coaching opportunity,  so why would he give up a nice, fat salary he's got coming his way for the rest of his contract?

Of course, the response is a buyout?   Who negotiates the buyout for the school?  Who is in charge?   Monasch?  LOL..

Lavin decides he wants out, huh?  So he essentially screws all of his hand picked assistants, some long time friends, at the same time, because they would all lose their jobs as well.   

Just thinking out loud....and logically.

Isn't his current contract already up?  Pure speculation, but maybe Monasch said, how about a short extension for now and we'll consider a longer term deal once we see what direction the program is headed?  Lavin might have then seen the writing on the wall, and rather than bank on his ability to turn things around, decides to cut bait and go back to TV commentating before he really screws up his reputation and credability? 

boo3

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 07:23:17 PM »
 I'm pretty sure this wasn't the last year on his contract...  He would have been a lame duck all season if that was the case.  This was year 4 of a 6 year deal I thought?

DFF6

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 07:26:50 PM »
I'm pretty sure this wasn't the last year on his contract...  He would have been a lame duck all season if that was the case.  This was year 4 of a 6 year deal I thought?

Where the heck is Lavin's agent, hnk?  He'd know the status of Lavin's contract.  He's been awfully quiet of late.  Maybe he's busy negotiating Lavin's new Fox Sports contract? ;-)

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 07:36:14 PM »
Yeah I really doubt Lavin would leave now, doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Unless he feels that he has completely lost the team, they should be better next year, if he's gonna leave it would be after a successful campaign.

Lord knows the "administration" doesn't have the nuts to make a change.

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 07:41:45 PM »
The World according to Bluto:
Stephenson, Syl basically every NYC kid Norm didn't get played for ST John's
Norm is still coaching
Lavin is coaching USC
Jordan is at Temple
Iona is a real school and not something he made up
If Iona was a real school they had pretty girls

DFF6

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2014, 07:42:08 PM »
Yeah I really doubt Lavin would leave now, doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Unless he feels that he has completely lost the team, they should be better next year, if he's gonna leave it would be after a successful campaign.

Lord knows the "administration" doesn't have the nuts to make a change.

May have nothing to do with nuts, but cash; namely, the cash the school receives from a certain benefactor that is earmarked for the basketball program, among other things. 

boo3

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2014, 07:44:45 PM »
The World according to Bluto:
Stephenson, Syl basically every NYC kid Norm didn't get played for ST John's
Norm is still coaching
Lavin is coaching USC
Jordan is at Temple
Iona is a real school and not something he made up
If Iona was a real school they had pretty girls

Can't win them all..... throw enough shit at the wall, eventually something will stick.. Isn't that the saying?

TONYD3

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2014, 07:51:36 PM »
read the title before seeing who posted. I got mad, thought so one was thanking Lavin for a good season. No way he quits! Cant imagine they fire him

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 07:52:58 PM »
Again, say what you want. You all should pray I'm right

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 07:57:57 PM »
Shocking if it is true but it would make sense to leave now.
-Lavin could claim he turned around the program
-his wife is an actress and she wants to go back to LA
-the team has potential to be successful
-there are no big recruits signed or coming in so no loss of scholarship.
-He has lingering health problems and cannot put up the rigors of coaching
-New admin coming in and he does not want to start fresh...

I still am skeptical and have a hard time seeing Lavin would just walk away or the school and Lavin burned bridges and decided to depart ways.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 07:59:41 PM »
If he quits he will never get another coaching job again unless it's HS.

cjfish

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 08:32:24 PM »
Not happening, it would be devoid of all logic when considering the players involved

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 08:43:36 PM »
It's obviously not true.  There is no way Lavin walks away from his rising seniors after a disappointing season.  There is no way he misses the tournament next year even if the team is a huge bust.   You think he wants his last game to be an NIT LOSS to Robert Morris.  Get it together.

If he were to leave it would be after next season.  There is no way h'ed be forced out this early the way he recruits after Norm was here for forty losing seasons. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 08:44:32 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2014, 09:01:58 PM »
It's obviously not true.  There is no way Lavin walks away from his rising seniors after a disappointing season.  There is no way he misses the tournament next year even if the team is a huge bust.   You think he wants his last game to be an NIT LOSS to Robert Morris.  Get it together.

If he were to leave it would be after next season.  There is no way h'ed be forced out this early the way he recruits after Norm was here for forty losing seasons.

very valid points, I don't see him going. Odder things have happened, and with this program you never know.

He loves his kids, he loves the guys on the team, at least that's what I've gathered from reading the board. He will go to battle/bat for the kids (other than Garrett). I don't see him abandoning them.

goredmen

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2014, 09:25:05 PM »
Getting my hopes up to ultimately be disappointed in the end, just like with the team itself

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2014, 09:29:49 PM »
Putting aside the fact that it is true or not, many of your guys arguments for him not leaving are him giving up money. Lavin has made 5+ mill at st johns already. He is not strapped for cash, im sure he would get paid great to do commentary again. You guys ever think that coaching this team is perhaps just too much for him? Maybe he doesnt want the grind anymore, in fact I think he doesnt.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2014, 09:31:33 PM »
Putting aside the fact that it is true or not, many of your guys arguments for him not leaving are him giving up money. Lavin has made 5+ mill at st johns already. He is not strapped for cash, im sure he would get paid great to do commentary again. You guys ever think that coaching this team is perhaps just too much for him? Maybe he doesnt want the grind anymore, in fact I think he doesnt.

He may not be strapped for cash, but that's still leaving a lot of money on the table.

Foad

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2014, 09:32:01 PM »
Hearing this is done deal. Time for both parties to move on. Get Massiello on the phone ASAP

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2014, 09:35:22 PM »

He may not be strapped for cash, but that's still leaving a lot of money on the table.

I know it is, and I cant put my self in those shoes. But Is he really ever gonna have a financial problem?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

boo3

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2014, 09:36:27 PM »
 Maybe Mase, but that flies in the face of everything he's said the last two two weeks.. He's been asked directly about whether or not he wants to be here.  His answer was clear.

5 mil, before taxes.. cut that in 1/2.. Now you know you have another 2 years a 1.5 each or whatever guaranteed?  People don't give that up.. They just don't unless they are uber rich... again, who, in the last 24-48 hours has decided to cut the check so Lavin can ride off into the sunset? 

I'm not taking sides, I'm just looking at it from a practical business perspective...