Mullin's staff

• 913 replies
Re: Mullin's staff
« Reply #640 on: May 07, 2015, 10:25:12 PM »
Lavin was a good college basketball coach. Was he great in his time here? No. Could he have been if he wasn't let go? It's certainly possible and in my opinion he had us on the right track to be great. I think he would have been very successful here if allowed to continue. I know others disagree and that's fine.

With that said, I'm even happier with Mullin.

« Reply #641 on: May 07, 2015, 10:26:32 PM »
Lavin was a good college basketball coach. Was he great in his time here? No. Could he have been if he wasn't let go? It's certainly possible and in my opinion he had us on the right track to be great. I think he would have been very successful here if allowed to continue. I know others disagree and that's fine.

Successful if he could continue? Continue doing what?

desco80

« Reply #642 on: May 07, 2015, 10:55:31 PM »
Can someone else please tell me to move on?  I haven't heard that enough.
I don't see what's harmful in discussing the shortcomings of a coach we just let go.  But for those of you who think it's an obsession; take a look at my posts on lovvett, mussini, the schedule and every other topic we have.

This conversation has run its course.  I've said my piece, and obviously not everyone will agree with me.  I can live with that.
my last two thoughts are that 1) mcn makes good points both about the psychological effects that may extend after the body has recovered(and may explain a prolonged absence), and I also agree with his point that Lavin seemingly acted pampered over time here.   

Lastly, cancer is an awful thing.  Everyone has been touched by it.   But it's not a blanket excuse for every shortcoming in a person's life.   You can have cancer and still treat your wife and kids like shit, you can have cancer and still be an alcoholic or drug abuser, you can have cancer and cheat on your taxes, and yes... you can have cancer and be bad at your job.    It explains many things, and is worthy of extra sympathy and more understanding, a patient deserves extra slack I  almost every circumstance, but it's not a blanket excuse. 

« Reply #643 on: May 07, 2015, 11:01:29 PM »
In other news, Richmond, Ed P. and T. Mullin would be great additions to the staff.
Patience is a virtue.

Please post in the Mullin Assistant coach Thread next time.

desco80

« Reply #644 on: May 07, 2015, 11:04:45 PM »
I know I said I was done, but I just remembered something, and this will be my final thought:
After all that happened that season, sitting out while dunlap struggled with 5 players, the hanging out in suites, traveling, and broadcasting ...but not coaching, Lavin then had his agent contact west coast schools about potential job openings in april/may.

« Reply #645 on: May 07, 2015, 11:08:18 PM »

Making the tournament. And I think he would have done even better than just making the tournament if allowed the chance. But we'll never know now.

TONYD3

« Reply #646 on: May 07, 2015, 11:12:28 PM »
I know I said I was done, but I just remembered something, and this will be my final thought:
After all that happened that season, sitting out while dunlap struggled with 5 players, the hanging out in suites, traveling, and broadcasting ...but not coaching, Lavin then had his agent contact west coast schools about potential job openings in april/may.

Even if that is true WHO CARES!

« Reply #647 on: May 07, 2015, 11:18:00 PM »

Again the whole cancer thing just isn't worth mentioning in Desco's book. Let's just pretend he took the year off for nothing. He just took a nice, easy vacation where he could travel, hang out in suites and do whatever the hell he wanted. Damn, makes prostate cancer not sound so bad after all.

The dude missed a season with cancer. Get over it. It's a completely valid excuse. And you may disagree with the way he handled it but you are not his doctor, nor to you know what he could/could not do. Not every case of prostate cancer is the same. So the only people who know just how much time he "should" have missed due to this life-threatening illness are his family and his doctor.

Also, do you have a link that confirms Lavin was looking for potential HC jobs that year while under contract at SJU?

« Reply #648 on: May 07, 2015, 11:18:14 PM »
Desco- Last thoughts and finally? Thank God!  That's it?  You promise? 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:20:40 PM by action jackson »

« Reply #649 on: May 07, 2015, 11:26:18 PM »

Again the whole cancer thing just isn't worth mentioning in Desco's book. Let's just pretend he took the year off for nothing. He just took a nice, easy vacation where he could travel, hang out in suites and do whatever the hell he wanted. Damn, makes prostate cancer not sound so bad after all.

The dude missed a season with cancer. Get over it. It's a completely valid excuse. And you may disagree with the way he handled it but you are not his doctor, nor to you know what he could/could not do. Not every case of prostate cancer is the same. So the only people who know just how much time he "should" have missed due to this life-threatening illness are his family and his doctor.

Also, do you have a link that confirms Lavin was looking for potential HC jobs that year while under contract at SJU?
I remember Lavin and Maryann flat out saying that rumor wasn't true

Marillac

« Reply #650 on: May 07, 2015, 11:26:36 PM »

I could understand your feelings on Lavin if we were a bad team under him.  We weren't.  From 2003-4 season until he took over in 2010-11, we were terrible. Awful.  An embarrassment.  We had TEN juniors and a fifth-year senior and we went 6-12 in the Big East the year before...6-12 before that and 5-11 before that.  In four seasons as coach, he won seven  more conference games than SJU did in the seven season prior to his hire.  In four seasons as a coach, he won 20 or more games three times, made two tournaments and two NITs. 

For his career, he won 20 or more games nine out of eleven seasons.  Sure, he has his shortcomings...he didn't plan the roster well and he didn't utilize transfers and grad transfers well at all.  He got two kids to the NBA, all of his kids that stayed graduated (some early), and they all speak glowingly about him.  We suffered a few minor hiccups, but no crazy embarrassments during his tenure. 

He was just what we needed at the time.  Even if he stopped coaching (as you claim) after the 10-11 season, that recruiting class and that amazing run was enough for people to take us seriously for the first time in a decade. 

goredmen

« Reply #651 on: May 07, 2015, 11:31:43 PM »

Would a coach ever say 'Yes I was looking for other jobs' to the media while he's employed at a school?

« Reply #652 on: May 07, 2015, 11:36:40 PM »
Have any of you looked for a new job?  EVERYONE is looking for a better situation? 

« Reply #653 on: May 07, 2015, 11:38:40 PM »

Would a coach ever say 'Yes I was looking for other jobs' to the media while he's employed at a school?

By the same token you know how easy it is for people to spread a rumorI that someone is looking for a job when he isn't ? fwiw I know for a fact Maryann told people privately they weren't looking to leave NY
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:40:52 PM by mjmaherjr »

Wods317

« Reply #654 on: May 08, 2015, 12:08:55 AM »
People keep this conversation going and say well Lavin was the coach last year so it makes sense to talk about him. 100% agree but start a new thread! This is supposed to be about Mullins staff. Lavin has zero to do with Mullins staff so this is getting ridiculous. What's the point of a thread if things having zero to do with topic are discussed. Take it elsewhere so we can talk the future of the program which is what the thread is actually about

« Reply #655 on: May 08, 2015, 12:31:55 AM »

Is that the only proof we have that this rumor is true? Sounds like it. Desco trying to degrade Lavin further by spreading a rumor which in all likelihood is false.

goredmen

« Reply #656 on: May 08, 2015, 12:35:33 AM »

Is that the only proof we have that this rumor is true? Sounds like it. Desco trying to degrade Lavin further by spreading a rumor which in all likelihood is false.

No I'm just saying that Lavin and his wife telling the media they weren't looking for a new job means absolutely 0. No coach would ever say that he was looking for other jobs while still employed at the same school. Means just as much as unsubstantiated rumors

« Reply #657 on: May 08, 2015, 12:54:48 AM »

Producing no success with no players.

« Reply #658 on: May 08, 2015, 05:15:57 AM »

lol   The exact same thing that I was thinking. I could go on about how terrible he was, but why?
He's gone and done with.

Now on to a brighter future.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 05:19:44 AM by mullin85berry86 »

Chilleb

« Reply #659 on: May 08, 2015, 06:57:27 AM »
At this point I rather read Iona thread then this nonsense.... Cue baldi