An Xs and Os Assistant

• 74 replies

Foad

Re: An Xs and Os Assistant
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 05:14:51 PM »
Am I arguing with a Kindergartner here because that is what it sounds like?

No.

For the millionth time this thread has NOTHING to do with Lavin so STOP bringing him into it.

No.

And then trying to discredit me by saying because I was a manager for the program under him I have no idea what I am talking about on anything that has to do with CURRENT St Johns basketball. Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

No.

<remainder hosed>

desco80

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 08:43:08 PM »

Mullin needs to learn just like other new coaches until its time for him to be the commanding presence like a Jay Wright or Mike Brey. 

This where your "pedigree" shows itself.   Wtf is presence?   and why the hell would Mullin need to wait around for it?
That sounds like some bs Lavin would spew, and in his defense, he was all about the optics and image.    No substance.

Let me ask you .... does Brad Stevens have a commanding presence?    Does Kevin Willard?   Does Terry freaking Collins?

I could care less if Mullin has less of a presence and personality than the Indian guy on the Big Bang Theory.    Get good players (who aren't headcases) and work with them to put the ball in the basket.
That's all.     Enough with the smoke and mirrors.

Also, let's be real ... this isn't Slice's first trip around the block.   Yea he's known as a recruiter .... but he's a lifelong assistant coach.   He's been preparing scouting reports, running practices, and teaching at camps since before you were born.   He's the veteran assistant.

desco80

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 08:46:20 PM »
Frankly... with the exception of Steve Kerr and Calipari, maybe Jay Wright ... most good coaches have next to no personality or presence.   Because they're focused on winning.   They only care about their image so far as recruits.  And even then, only to a degree.   They don't care what the media and boosters think of their presence or image.

Calhoun?  Bill Self?  Coach K?   Bellichek?  Izzo?   I have a doorstop with more personality than them.   

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2016, 11:47:30 PM »
Frankly... with the exception of Steve Kerr and Calipari, maybe Jay Wright ... most good coaches have next to no personality or presence.   Because they're focused on winning.   They only care about their image so far as recruits.  And even then, only to a degree.   They don't care what the media and boosters think of their presence or image.

Calhoun?  Bill Self?  Coach K?   Bellichek?  Izzo?   I have a doorstop with more personality than them.   

Steve Kerr with a lot of personality?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2016, 11:49:08 PM »

Steve Kerr with a lot of personality?

Eh, he was an announcer.   Prob not a great example lol

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2016, 11:10:14 AM »
This is presence!

TONYD3

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2016, 11:44:44 AM »
This is presence!

Agreed. It absolutely is!

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2016, 11:53:01 AM »
presence of a maiter d of a family style Italian restaurant like Don Pepe's in Ozone Park or similar

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2016, 01:13:40 PM »
presence of a maiter d of a family style Italian restaurant like Don Pepe's in Ozone Park or similar
If this was 1980 and he was standing at 42nd st. and Broadway, you might say he was. . .

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2016, 01:22:57 PM »

Mullin needs to learn just like other new coaches until its time for him to be the commanding presence like a Jay Wright or Mike Brey. 

This where your "pedigree" shows itself.   Wtf is presence?   and why the hell would Mullin need to wait around for it?
That sounds like some bs Lavin would spew, and in his defense, he was all about the optics and image.    No substance.

Let me ask you .... does Brad Stevens have a commanding presence?    Does Kevin Willard?   Does Terry freaking Collins?

I could care less if Mullin has less of a presence and personality than the Indian guy on the Big Bang Theory.    Get good players (who aren't headcases) and work with them to put the ball in the basket.
That's all.     Enough with the smoke and mirrors.

Also, let's be real ... this isn't Slice's first trip around the block.   Yea he's known as a recruiter .... but he's a lifelong assistant coach.   He's been preparing scouting reports, running practices, and teaching at camps since before you were born.   He's the veteran assistant.

You completely misunderstand my point. I do not mean personality and media friendly, I mean functioning as their own brand and more than just "hall of fame player" I am playing for but great coach as well so kids continue to buy in.  Coach K or Jay Wright or Brey or Cal could fire all their assistants but kids would still commit to playing for them because they are a good head coach in of themselves because of the brand they made. And as a veteran  assistant coach I do not mean setting up camps and being on the bench as a  recruiter. I mean excelling at Xs and Os that will rub off on a young head coach. until that head coach can become their own brand one day and not have to rely as much on  assistants. to be effective. Thats my point. Slice is known to get talent but he was not a great Xs and Os guy at Manhattan.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 02:13:53 PM by friendofjohnnie »

TONYD3

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2016, 01:33:27 PM »
Freind of johnnie- they understand your point . It is just Chris Mullin  can walk on water and to suggest otherwise is treason.

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2016, 01:35:32 PM »
Mullin's "brand" is very clear  -

NBA multi-time All Star, Hall of Fame, Dream Team, Wooden award etc. 

doesn't matter if it was as a player...  Now, as a coach, if the program continues upward, he'll add another layer to "his brand"...

This concept of "brand" is totally irrelevant. You either build a good program or you don't.. and you either make connections with recruits or you don't.

The label on the suit, watch etc.  may draw in some but it's the least thing we need to worry about with the other positives Mullin can bring in with this player credentials.

He just needs to win...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 01:38:15 PM by RedStormNC »

Foad

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2016, 02:12:52 PM »
Freind of johnnie- they understand your point . It is just Chris Mullin  can walk on water and to suggest otherwise is treason.

No it isn't. It's that Chris Mullin has displayed enough basketball success and acumen over fifty years to deserve better than being second guessed after one season by a water boy and a CYO coach. Gosh, after one season with a bunch of scrubs Chris Mullin hasn't displayed as much as "Coach K or Jay Wright or Brey or Cal" - four of the better coaches of their generation - so he needs to bring in an assistant to give him cachet. That's utter nonsense and this thread couldn't be stupider.

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2016, 02:21:17 PM »

No it isn't. It's that Chris Mullin has displayed enough basketball success and acumen over fifty years to deserve better than being second guessed after one season by a water boy and a CYO coach. Gosh, after one season with a bunch of scrubs Chris Mullin hasn't displayed as much as "Coach K or Jay Wright or Brey or Cal" - four of the better coaches of their generation - so he needs to bring in an assistant to give him cachet. That's utter nonsense and this thread couldn't be stupider.

STOP MISCONSTRUING MY WORDS!!!!  It was not a judgment on his one year on the bench which we all gave him a pass for. It was him going forward and growing into a coach. Who would not want him to be also known for being a great coach rather than just a great player?  We do not want him to fail because than being a great player doesn't matter if the program sucks in 4-5 years! We want the program to succeed and yes the player label will always help but if we are serious about being contenders again, the coach label must follow. We do not want to be in a position to have to fire the best player to put on a St Johns uniform because he cannot coach. We want him to develop right like the players thats all and this puts him in a good position to do it with a strong Xs and Os guy.

And who the heck do you think you are calling a waterboy? I am sick and tired of your crap on  this forum and constantly putting people down not just me because you always have to be right. Either comment fairly and repsectfully without ad hominem or leave
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 02:40:27 PM by friendofjohnnie »

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2016, 02:27:15 PM »

That's not it, IMO.  I believe it has more to do with his association with Lavin (look who's constantly being combative with him).

Foad

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2016, 05:01:43 PM »
STOP MISCONSTRUING MY WORDS!!!! 

I didn't even reply to you. I was MISCONSTRUING!!! TonyD3's words.

<hose>

Either comment fairly and repsectfully without ad hominem or leave

That's certainly one option.

Poison

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2016, 06:20:41 PM »
Mullin gets a pass for this season. Norm Roberts got a pass after year one, too.
Next year, no more free pass. This discussion should be continued next Spring.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2016, 08:09:37 PM »
I love was hoping that SJU would snag Luke Walton, but it appears that the Lakers got him first.
Cougar O' Malley

desco80

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2016, 08:58:28 PM »
Again, if you're looking for a veteran assistant .... thats what Slice is by definition. 

Yes, he's known as a recruiter.  But he's taught basketball at  St Francis, UNLV, Pittsburgh, Manhattan , Kentucky and now St Johns.   
This is your veteran assistant coach who can be the right hand for Mullin.   He's got 20 years of experience preparing for opponents and running practices.  (Alongside some damn good staffs)

goredmen

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2016, 01:43:38 AM »
I love was hoping that SJU would snag Luke Walton, but it appears that the Lakers got him first.

uhh what