drama is finally over

• 165 replies

Poison

Re: drama is finally over
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2014, 10:17:07 PM »
Thomas on board!
Coaches next step is concentrating on the 2015 class.  You guys will be pleasantly surprised!

We get recruits. We just need someone to coach them.

desco80

« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2014, 10:31:53 PM »
Thomas on board!
Coaches next step is concentrating on the 2015 class.  You guys will be pleasantly surprised!

Hope you're right FY.  That would be a nice jolt of enthusiasm. 

I also know you don't want to hear this, but I'm hoping one of coach's next steps is a shakeup of the staff.   They might be great guys, but the results haven't been there.   And if adjustments are going to be made, that's a place to start.   

ForeverYoung

• king and the pawn end up in the same box
« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2014, 11:14:18 PM »
Thomas on board!

Hope you're right FY.  That would be a nice jolt of enthusiasm. 

I also know you don't want to hear this, but I'm hoping one of coach's next steps is a shakeup of the staff.   They might be great guys, but the results haven't been there.   And if adjustments are going to be made, that's a place to start.   

I totally agree with you but doubt that we will see that unless someone pressures Lavin to do so.  He hand picked them. 

Foad

« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2014, 08:39:38 AM »
I totally agree with you but doubt that we will see that unless someone pressures Lavin to do so.  He hand picked them. 

As opposed to other coaches, who use a lottery system.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #124 on: May 06, 2014, 08:52:36 AM »
The staff as itself has changed almost by itself almost every year. This year will the first time since Lavin's 1st year that SJU will have a head coach and asst coach for a whole year.
Cougar O' Malley

pmg911

« Reply #125 on: May 06, 2014, 04:11:59 PM »

He might have hand picked Dunlap & Rico Hines but Tony Chiles was certainly not his first choice
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 04:12:55 PM by pmg911 »

MCNPA

« Reply #126 on: May 06, 2014, 04:33:00 PM »

He might have hand picked Dunlap & Rico Hines but Tony Chiles was certainly not his first choice

First choice or not, I hear Chiles is an excellent recruiter and very well received by recruits.

« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2014, 08:26:51 PM »

Odd because he was the first assistant named to the staff.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2014, 08:50:46 PM »

Perhaps he is referring to "Slice" being Lav's first choice as main recruiting guy prior to Chiles assuming role.

« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2014, 09:01:26 PM »

Perhaps he is referring to "Slice" being Lav's first choice as main recruiting guy prior to Chiles assuming role.

Were either even interviewed?

desco80

« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
I don't know enough to form an opinion, but what is the perception of Whitesell around the program?   
Is he being given a big enough role?   

« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2014, 09:27:08 PM »

Yes he was.  The entire staff was CHOSEN by Lavin.  Let's be clear even if you were not the first choice that does not mean Lavin did not want you or CHOOSE you.

Let's differentiate:
1) There are schools that insist on staff changes and also veto candidates.  In those cases you can argue certain assistants were FORCED on a coach.
2) Then there are coaches who have free reign to make staff changes even if your first choice says no. 

Slice and Book Richardson were widely considered as well but both said no.  It happens.  BTW-In 2008 Slice, while still at Manhattan, was offered a spot on Memphis' staff by Calipari.  He said no and stayed at Manhattan.  His spot went to Josh Pastner.  So what?  Does that mean because Pastner was NOT the first choice that somehow he was not handpicked by Calipari?  That doesn't make any sense.  Not being the first choice is not the equivalent of not being handpicked.

The SJU staff is fine.  We have good recruiters, a well seasoned top assistant in Jim Whitesell and throw in Keady.  Nothing wrong with the staff.

This is on Lavin.  He knows it. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 09:28:28 PM by fordham96 »

desco80

« Reply #132 on: May 06, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »
I'm not trying to stir the pot by saying this, but seriously, what the hell does Keady do?
It's not my money, but it really does seem like he's pulling a paycheck simply so Lavin can pull out the Buddha quote two or three times per season. 
And I know I'm not the only person on here who has been questioning this.

Fordham, Is Whitesell a big contributor to game prep and in practices? 

« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2014, 11:01:04 PM »
I'm not trying to stir the pot by saying this, but seriously, what the hell does Keady do?
It's not my money, but it really does seem like he's pulling a paycheck simply so Lavin can pull out the Buddha quote two or three times per season. 

I hope it was Whitesell's idea to scrape the match up zone defense. The defense where they never matched up and left open shooters.

TONYD3

« Reply #134 on: May 06, 2014, 11:17:06 PM »
I think it was Whitsell's idea to scrap the matchup zone. Huge problem in my opinion is the head coach thought it was a good idea.

desco80

« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2014, 11:29:14 AM »

I hope it was Whitesell's idea to scrape the match up zone defense. The defense where they never matched up and left open shooters.

If true, then that alone means he earned his keep.   That matchup zone was the worst of both worlds.   Gave up penetration, and left shooters open.   

pmg911

« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2014, 11:41:49 AM »

You might think it was odd but Lavin offered that #1 recruiting spot to at least 2 other people before he offered it to Chiles.

and just because Chiles was named first doesn't mean he was the first person Lavin had an agreement in place with to join the staff.

« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2014, 11:58:23 AM »

You might think it was odd but Lavin offered that #1 recruiting spot to at least 2 other people before he offered it to Chiles.

and just because Chiles was named first doesn't mean he was the first person Lavin had an agreement in place with to join the staff.

That was never the question or the point.  Not being the first choice is not the equivalent of NOT BEING handpicked.

The question was is this staff Lavin’s handpicked staff?  Is this the staff HE WANTS?  The answer is Yes.

Your post implied because Tony Chiles was NOT the first choice that somehow he was not handpicked or wanted.  Whether you meant that or not you can explain, but if you did not mean that then your response is completely irrelevant to the question of whether his current staff was handpicked or not.

Mike Dunlap was not the first choice either for the chair next to him.  That was actually Dave Letaio if you remember.  So what?  Nobody is going to argue that Dunlap or Whitesell weren’t guys Lavin ultimately chose.

pmg911

« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2014, 12:47:36 PM »

That was never the question or the point.  Not being the first choice is not the equivalent of NOT BEING handpicked.

The question was is this staff Lavin’s handpicked staff?  Is this the staff HE WANTS?  The answer is Yes.

Your post implied because Tony Chiles was NOT the first choice that somehow he was not handpicked or wanted.  Whether you meant that or not you can explain, but if you did not mean that then your response is completely irrelevant to the question of whether his current staff was handpicked or not.

Mike Dunlap was not the first choice either for the chair next to him.  That was actually Dave Letaio if you remember.  So what?  Nobody is going to argue that Dunlap or Whitesell weren’t guys Lavin ultimately chose.

Fordham - as always you are correct.  Just because he was not Coach Lavin's first or second choice for the job doesn't mean Coach Lavin didn't want him

Just curious - if you go into a suit store and look around and ask the sales person for suit #1 and he/she tells you they don't have it in your size, then you pick suit #2 - and get the same response - and then you pick suit #3 because it is available in your size and you need a suit - would you say you really got the suit you wanted..?

Enjoy the rest of your day, I don't want to get into an argument with anyone today...

« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2014, 02:03:46 PM »

Fordham - as always you are correct.  Just because he was not Coach Lavin's first or second choice for the job doesn't mean Coach Lavin didn't want him

Just curious - if you go into a suit store and look around and ask the sales person for suit #1 and he/she tells you they don't have it in your size, then you pick suit #2 - and get the same response - and then you pick suit #3 because it is available in your size and you need a suit - would you say you really got the suit you wanted..?

Enjoy the rest of your day, I don't want to get into an argument with anyone today...
That's correct, because 5 suits, heck 10 suits can meet our criteria for passing muster for a purchase, and we merely go in order.  As in anything in life, timing (whether the suit is available), need and pricing play a part.  ;D