2015-16 Nonconference schedule

• 169 replies

QuanMan

Re: 2015-16 Nonconference schedule
« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2015, 02:07:48 PM »
Can't speak to that Moose, but I do know that there is an allotted travel budget each year. I'd have to imagine that the overhead of a Maui trip exhausts a good percentage of what could've been another OOC road game.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #141 on: August 25, 2015, 02:10:11 PM »
Not 1 Tourny team there, maybe Indiana

11/4 St. Thomas Aquinas (Exhibition)

11/7 Sonoma State (Exhibition)

11/13 Wagner

11/16 UMBC

11/19 Rutgers

11/23 Vanderbilt (Maui)

11/24 Indiana/Wake Forest (Maui)

11/25 TBD (Maui)

12/2 Fordham

12/6 St. Francis (NY)

12/9 Niagara

12/13 Syracuse

12/18 Incarnate Word

12/20 NJIT

12/22 South Carolina

Vandy will be in the running for a Tourney.  IU might???  IU will be one of the favorites for the Big 10.  Kansas will be the usual Big 12 favorite.  UCLA is a Tourney team and UNLV will be much better. 

That is how a Tourney works, if SJU can't win in the Tourney then they probably will play the weaker foes.  That is not a scheduling problem, that is an issue with SJU not playing good enough.  But you don't blame the scheduling considering the Maui is one of the better pre-season Tourney's every year.  You don't get Kansas, UCLA and IU in a Tourney and call that weak. 

Furthermore Syracuse will still be pretty good but not elite.  But that is not SJU's fault.  There is nobody who would have been against scheduling SU for another home and home.  The fact that SU got into NCAA trouble and was scholarship restricted is not the fault of SJU.

These things are done years in advance.  If SJU schedules UCLA and they stink one year that happens. But you can't be against scheduling a UCLA or Syracuse just because in an odd year they may not be elite.

And keep an eye on South Carolina.  This is year four for Frank Martin and I think he may finally have the talent to make a move in the SEC.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 10:10:34 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #142 on: August 25, 2015, 05:14:11 PM »

11/13 Wagner

11/16 UMBC

11/19 Rutgers

11/23 Vanderbilt (Maui)

11/25 TBD (Maui)

12/2 Fordham

12/6 St. Francis (NY)

12/9 Niagara

12/13 Syracuse

12/18 Incarnate Word

12/20 NJIT

12/22 South Carolina

Vandy will be in the running for a Tounrey.  IU might???  IU will be one of the favorites for the Big 10.  Kansas will be the usual Big 12 favorite.  UCLA is a Tourney team and UNLV will be much better. 

That is how a Tourney works, if SJU can't win in the Tourney then they probably will play the weaker foes.  That is not a scheduling problem, that is an issue with SJU not playing good enough.  But you don't blame the scheduling considering the Maui is one of the better pre-season Tourney's every year.  You don't get Kansas, UCLA and IU in a Tourney and call that weak. 

Furthermore Syracuse will still be pretty good but not elite.  But that is not SJU's fault.  There is nobody who would have been against scheduling SU for another home and home.  The fact that SU got into NCAA trouble and was scholarship restricted is not the fault of SJU.

These things are done years in advance.  If SJU schedules UCLA and they stink one year that happens. But you can't be against scheduling a UCLA or Syracuse just because in an odd year they may not be elite.

And keep an eye on South Carolina.  This is year four for Frank Martin and I think he may finally have the talent to make a move in the SEC.

He's just upset that a certain team from New Rochelle is not on the schedule.  Baldi would want to replace Syracuse with them in a heartbeat.

« Reply #143 on: August 25, 2015, 06:21:32 PM »
Not true.  Baldi will be the first one to tell you we should schedule Cuse. His beef is with the Incarnate Word's instead of Iona or Manhattan. And I get that, though this is how the game is played with the OOC and mid majors.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #144 on: August 25, 2015, 06:51:20 PM »
the bigger issues are ensuring the conference has quality teams, where beating teams in your conference will get you in the tournament. The second one is the conference doing well in the tournament.  Will the committee not select a BE bubble team because the conference keeps getting bounced out in the first and second weekend?
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #145 on: August 25, 2015, 09:54:44 PM »
When recruits are sitting down and figuring out where they want to go to school, I'm pretty sure the team's schedule is the LEAST of their concerns. It's legit to question our schedule if you want to, but if you're concerned that's going to hurt recruiting I think that's pretty far fetched to say the least.

So I should expect no complaints about strength of schedule or RPI come March?

From the recruits? No you should not. Wasn't that the argument? From the fans, I would absolutely expect that no matter what and it might be justified in this case which is what I said. I hope we're in that position where it matters this year.

« Reply #146 on: August 25, 2015, 10:08:51 PM »
Not true.  Baldi will be the first one to tell you we should schedule Cuse. His beef is with the Incarnate Word's instead of Iona or Manhattan. And I get that, though this is how the game is played with the OOC and mid majors.

Then why mention no NCAA teams or argue we can't get recruits like UK or Duke if your only point is that SJU is not playing more MAAC teams?

Is he now going to argue SJU's chances with say Rawle get better if they play Manhattan...

« Reply #147 on: August 25, 2015, 10:25:58 PM »

Then why mention no NCAA teams or argue we can't get recruits like UK or Duke if your only point is that SJU is not playing more MAAC teams?

Is he now going to argue SJU's chances with say Rawle get better if they play Manhattan...

How many of those on the schedule were in NCAAs last year?  I didn't mention Duke Or Kentucky, someone else compared them to St John's. So with no top games on the ooc schedule, which games is the showcase for the recruits? Probation Syracuse? Or Maybe Wagner?

« Reply #148 on: August 25, 2015, 10:47:50 PM »

11/13 Wagner

11/16 UMBC

11/19 Rutgers

11/23 Vanderbilt (Maui)

11/25 TBD (Maui)

12/2 Fordham

12/6 St. Francis (NY)

12/9 Niagara

12/13 Syracuse

12/18 Incarnate Word

12/20 NJIT

12/22 South Carolina

How many of these games are at the Garden? Serious question

« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2015, 11:25:00 PM »
Incarnate Word?  That team just sounds like a real Rpi buster.

Poison

« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2015, 12:26:59 AM »

11/13 Wagner

11/16 UMBC

11/19 Rutgers

11/23 Vanderbilt (Maui)

11/25 TBD (Maui)

12/2 Fordham

12/6 St. Francis (NY)

12/9 Niagara

12/13 Syracuse

12/18 Incarnate Word

12/20 NJIT

12/22 South Carolina

Good. Not a tournament team this year. Need to show that we are respectable by getting to around. 500, hopefully better, by end of the season. If the schedule looks like this in future years, that's a problem.

Just don't see how it helps recruiting. No kid is saying "I can't wait to play against UMBC, South Carolina, Niagara, NJIT, Incarnate Word, Vandy, St. Francis, Fordham etc

I think considering the lack of certainly at every position, I think it we're gonna have a weaker pre-season, this has got to be the year to do it. When has St.John's returned less?

« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2015, 07:09:29 AM »
 FINAL RPIs from last season
Incarnate word 173
Manhattan 174
NJIT 134
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Johnny23

« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2015, 08:14:49 AM »
Far from a good Non-conf schedule (besides Maui maybe), but definitely the year to do this. I think the record in Mullin's first year is much more important to potential recruits looking at SJU than what their SOS/RPI is.

« Reply #153 on: August 26, 2015, 08:23:46 AM »

How many of those on the schedule were in NCAAs last year?  I didn't mention Duke Or Kentucky, someone else compared them to St John's. So with no top games on the ooc schedule, which games is the showcase for the recruits? Probation Syracuse? Or Maybe Wagner?

These schedules are made years in advance, you can't go by that.  The Maui has 3 teams in it that made the Tourney and at least another two who will be Tourney contenders-Vandy and UNLV.  Vegas has missed the Tourney the last two years putting their coach on the hot seat but the reason why he is on the hot seat is they are a perennial NCAA contender.  That is why they kept Zimmerman home instead of going to UK.

I didn't say you didn't mention UK and Duke, seriously.  You FAILED TO MENTION KANSAS one of the 3-4 biggest programs in America is in Maui.  SJU is not directly set to play them but that is because of how Tourney's are formatted guy.  If SJU played Kansas early that means the committee thinks SJU is going to REALLY SUCK.  And if they don't play them later on it probably means SJU did not win and get to the final.  Nothing you can do about that.  That is called a Tourney format.  Vandy in the first round is a terrific first round game.  Vandy won 20+ and went to the NIT and brings back most of their core.  Go look at first round games of the NIT played at Carnesecca in previous years against low level mid-majors to guarantee SJU gets to MSG with no losses.

These schedules especially with the Bigger programs cannot be made at the last minute.  They need to be made years in advance.  Could the schedule be better, sure but you can always say that.

Last year?  Well SJU made the NCAA's last year, I guess that makes them a prime opponent for someone this year even though they are not projected to be anywhere near as good this year.

« Reply #154 on: August 26, 2015, 08:43:06 AM »

These schedules are made years in advance, you can't go by that.  The Maui has 3 teams in it that made the Tourney and at least another two who will be Tourney contenders-Vandy and UNLV.  Vegas has missed the Tourney the last two years putting their coach on the hot seat but the reason why he is on the hot seat is they are a perennial NCAA contender.  That is why they kept Zimmerman home instead of going to UK.

I didn't say you didn't mention UK and Duke, seriously.  You FAILED TO MENTION KANSAS one of the 3-4 biggest programs in America is in Maui.  SJU is not directly set to play them but that is because of how Tourney's are formatted guy.  If SJU played Kansas early that means the committee thinks SJU is going to REALLY SUCK.  And if they don't play them later on it probably means SJU did not win and get to the final.  Nothing you can do about that.  That is called a Tourney format.  Vandy in the first round is a terrific first round game.  Vandy won 20+ and went to the NIT and brings back most of their core.  Go look at first round games of the NIT played at Carnesecca in previous years against low level mid-majors to guarantee SJU gets to MSG with no losses.

These schedules especially with the Bigger programs cannot be made at the last minute.  They need to be made years in advance.  Could the schedule be better, sure but you can always say that.

Last year?  Well SJU made the NCAA's last year, I guess that makes them a prime opponent for someone this year even though they are not projected to be anywhere near as good this year.

Maui aside, there is maybe 1 game that intrigues me and that school is on probation. Are all the games on campus this year?

As for schedules made years in advance, that's news to me.  I know some teams are still trying to fill out the schedule

« Reply #155 on: August 26, 2015, 11:46:22 AM »

Maui aside, there is maybe 1 game that intrigues me and that school is on probation. Are all the games on campus this year?

As for schedules made years in advance, that's news to me.  I know some teams are still trying to fill out the schedule

Marco - which would you prefer:

Choice A - 15 wins with the current schedule (SOS 50-75)
Choice B - 12 wins with a harder schedule (SOS ~20) and at least 1 blowout against a perennial power

« Reply #156 on: August 26, 2015, 01:26:04 PM »

Since you appear to be too lazy to visit Redstormsports, only St Francis, as part of an all locals double header, and Syracuse are at MSG in the OOC.

Moose

« Reply #157 on: August 26, 2015, 01:38:40 PM »

Since you appear to be too lazy to visit Redstormsports, only St Francis, as part of an all locals double header, and Syracuse are at MSG in the OOC.

Is the game on TV?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #158 on: August 26, 2015, 01:39:55 PM »

On the beach in the Caribbean.so yes, too lazy. Might as well play the whole slate in Queens. Fck Syracuae and their fans
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:40:18 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #159 on: August 26, 2015, 01:41:45 PM »

Marco - which would you prefer:

Choice A - 15 wins with the current schedule (SOS 50-75)
Choice B - 12 wins with a harder schedule (SOS ~20) and at least 1 blowout against a perennial power

If we are thinking of the future, give me B. I don't see how much a team can learn from thumping A Wagner or UMBCs