First Exhibition!

• 54 replies
Re: First Exhibition!
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2014, 12:32:47 AM »
I mean this is what the preseason games are for. You really aren't world beaters in your first game, if you remember last year they won their first preseason game by 2 then blew out Humboldt.

Couple of notes from the stands:

Jordan had a terrible first half then played strong on offense in the second. His defense was real bad though, hope that was just a preseason thing.

Obekpa triple double won't be an aberration. Dude looks ready for the big time.

Harrison is what he always is, was or ever will be.

Jones looked bad on defense as well, should have tried more on offense he could take those guys. But 6 and 4 off knee surgery is fine.

Balamou and Alib were pretty much nothing which was disappointing. Again though PRESEASON!

I wonder how Delarosa is supposed to get in game shape if he doesn't get to play in a meaningless game.

Greene was apparently had a muscle problem so he only played 17 minutes. Branch looked good though playing 26 minutes. 5 points, 5 assists, 3 steals is cool with me.

Hopefully next week they play better. PRESEASON!!!

Disagree with you about Amar and Balamou.  First, Balamou played  just seven minutes. He had a really nice assist of a wild pass under the basket.  He also set up Amar nicely for a wide open three that rimmed out. He had no turnover or mental errors and played solid d.  He also tapped a rebound to a teammate for a putback.  He signaled for Jordan twice to throw him alley-oops  when he took great angles to the basket resulting in wide open looks, but Jordan missed both--Branch would have delivered. 

Next, Amar is not star and likely never will be, but he played well for a freshman playing in his first game.  He got off a good looking three (not everything falls) and he hustled and boxed out all night.  I think the box score only shows 2-3 boards by Amar, but he really pins his man on the box outs and lets the ball bounce for the guards--not sure if it is a Euro thing?  He's gotta learn to box out and then go after those balls himself.  Now, Amar is not my type of player, but he is bigger than I expected and he didn't float on the perimeter like I thought he would.  He also played both PF and C which makes him extremely valuable. 

I'm already President of the Ali Fan Club so you're too late there.

He didn't play great today.  You're right the 3 was a nice look.  I really like his form it didn't fall.  He does box out well but he's also allergic to the ball.  I counted 3 times at least where the ball hit the ground and he didn't even lunge for it.  He's a smart ballplayer which is something we lack.  I only wish he had someone on the staff who can develop him.  Him and Jones are going to HAVE to play and god forbid Chris gets hurt or in foul trouble we might see both of them in there. 

Disappointed ADR couldn't see any time.  If he's not conditioned isn't that what exhibitions games are SUPPOSED to be for?  I totally forgot JDR misses 1st semester.  Not that he's the secret weapon but it sucks.  Always drama with this team.  Always something.

I like both Amar and Felix as players and as dudes. As I said though first preseason game I'm not really worried about anyone yet. Kinks need to be flushed out.

Marillac

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2014, 12:45:42 AM »
Delarosa, the freshman didn't play. Joey Delarosa didn't play either, and he was sitting behind the bench for some reason. #30 also sat behind the bench and didn't play.

Joey Delarosa not eligible to play until the end of the first semester.  Mid-season transfer rules.

His addition might be huge.  He looks like he's in the best shape of his life.  He could barely get up and down the court when he first started college.  We need someone to give us 10 mpg.

???  ???  ???

If he plays more than 10 min all season SJU is in trouble.

People write off bigs too fast.  He's only played like 30 games in his career. This was a four star, top 150 recruit out of high school.  When he first stepped foot on campus as a frosh (in December) he was so out of shape he couldn't even get up and down the court.  It always takes bigs longer to develop and they don't get much bigger than him.  He looks like he's in great shape.  5-10 mpg might not be out of the question.  Dudes that big change the game just by their presence--e..g., Curtis Johnson igniting the huge Notre Dame run a decade or so ago.  This kid was recruited by Xavier, Providence, Pitt, and St. John's out of high school. 

We don't need a stud...we need a bandaid

Marillac

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2014, 01:06:55 AM »
I mean this is what the preseason games are for. You really aren't world beaters in your first game, if you remember last year they won their first preseason game by 2 then blew out Humboldt.

Jordan had a terrible first half then played strong on offense in the second. His defense was real bad though, hope that was just a preseason thing.

Jones looked bad on defense as well, should have tried more on offense he could take those guys. But 6 and 4 off knee surgery is fine.

Balamou and Alib were pretty much nothing which was disappointing. Again though PRESEASON!

I wonder how Delarosa is supposed to get in game shape if he doesn't get to play in a meaningless game.

Greene was apparently had a muscle problem so he only played 17 minutes. Branch looked good though playing 26 minutes. 5 points, 5 assists, 3 steals is cool with me.

Disagree with you about Amar and Balamou.  First, Balamou played  just seven minutes. He had a really nice assist of a wild pass under the basket.  He also set up Amar nicely for a wide open three that rimmed out. He had no turnover or mental errors and played solid d.  He also tapped a rebound to a teammate for a putback.  He signaled for Jordan twice to throw him alley-oops  when he took great angles to the basket resulting in wide open looks, but Jordan missed both--Branch would have delivered. 

Next, Amar is not star and likely never will be, but he played well for a freshman playing in his first game.  He got off a good looking three (not everything falls) and he hustled and boxed out all night.  I think the box score only shows 2-3 boards by Amar, but he really pins his man on the box outs and lets the ball bounce for the guards--not sure if it is a Euro thing?  He's gotta learn to box out and then go after those balls himself.  Now, Amar is not my type of player, but he is bigger than I expected and he didn't float on the perimeter like I thought he would.  He also played both PF and C which makes him extremely valuable. 

He didn't play great today.  You're right the 3 was a nice look.  I really like his form it didn't fall.  He does box out well but he's also allergic to the ball.  I counted 3 times at least where the ball hit the ground and he didn't even lunge for it.  He's a smart ballplayer which is something we lack.  I only wish he had someone on the staff who can develop him.  Him and Jones are going to HAVE to play and god forbid Chris gets hurt or in foul trouble we might see both of them in there. 

Disappointed ADR couldn't see any time.  If he's not conditioned isn't that what exhibitions games are SUPPOSED to be for?  I totally forgot JDR misses 1st semester.  Not that he's the secret weapon but it sucks.  Always drama with this team.  Always something.

I like both Amar and Felix as players and as dudes. As I said though first preseason game I'm not really worried about anyone yet. Kinks need to be flushed out.

Are you worried that Moose has come back as a villain?  Do you like him as a poster and dude?

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2014, 01:15:56 AM »

Are you worried that Moose has come back as a villain?  Do you like him as a poster and dude?

Of course.

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2014, 01:05:38 AM »
Delarosa, the freshman didn't play. Joey Delarosa didn't play either, and he was sitting behind the bench for some reason. #30 also sat behind the bench and didn't play.

Joey Delarosa not eligible to play until the end of the first semester.  Mid-season transfer rules.

His addition might be huge.  He looks like he's in the best shape of his life.  He could barely get up and down the court when he first started college.  We need someone to give us 10 mpg.

???  ???  ???

People write off bigs too fast.  He's only played like 30 games in his career. This was a four star, top 150 recruit out of high school.  When he first stepped foot on campus as a frosh (in December) he was so out of shape he couldn't even get up and down the court.  It always takes bigs longer to develop and they don't get much bigger than him.  He looks like he's in great shape.  5-10 mpg might not be out of the question.  Dudes that big change the game just by their presence--e..g., Curtis Johnson igniting the huge Notre Dame run a decade or so ago.  This kid was recruited by Xavier, Providence, Pitt, and St. John's out of high school. 

Exactly. What we need are more Curtis Johnson's on this team. This way they can each have one good game in their college careers that we can point to and say boy did they contribute in THAT game.

« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2014, 07:51:40 AM »
Terrible defense today. Except for Obekpa. He's going to have a great season. I expected us to have depth this year. Today, the only player who came off the bench and gave us anything was Branch.

Jordan was out control and not passing at all in the first half. In the second half, he did better playing off the ball.
Harrison was Harrison.
Greene did almost nothing.
Pointer was pretty good overall. We need a big year from him.
Jones was terrible on defense, and he needs to finish stronger on offense. I'm not sure there is one player on Humbolt state that he could guard.
Alibegovic looked like a deer in headlights.
Balamou was invisible.

Delarosa, the freshman didn't play. Joey Delarosa didn't play either, and he was sitting behind the bench for some reason. #30 also sat behind the bench and didn't play. Stewart and Henderson didn't play, which was disappointing.

Overall, it was a pretty disappointing effort. They just don't play hard enough.

Joey isn't eligible until the second semester. 

paultzman

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2014, 11:52:32 AM »
Terrible defense today. Except for Obekpa. He's going to have a great season. I expected us to have depth this year. Today, the only player who came off the bench and gave us anything was Branch.

Jordan was out control and not passing at all in the first half. In the second half, he did better playing off the ball.
Harrison was Harrison.
Greene did almost nothing.
Pointer was pretty good overall. We need a big year from him.
Jones was terrible on defense, and he needs to finish stronger on offense. I'm not sure there is one player on Humbolt state that he could guard.
Alibegovic looked like a deer in headlights.
Balamou was invisible.

Delarosa, the freshman didn't play. Joey Delarosa didn't play either, and he was sitting behind the bench for some reason. #30 also sat behind the bench and didn't play. Stewart and Henderson didn't play, which was disappointing.

Overall, it was a pretty disappointing effort. They just don't play hard enough.

Joey isn't eligible until the second semester. 

Giving credit where due, Adonis' time in NYC Marathon today was not bad.

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2014, 05:38:32 PM »

???  ???  ???

Like you and Jones..;)

seriously though he didnt play great and looked a little out of shape. Kid hasnt had a real game in like 20 months and is coming off surgery. Hit a nice jumper, had two nice drives where he didnt finish one and got fouled and hit both ft's on the other. I dont understand why him or obekpa would ever guard someone 20 ft from the hoop but it seems to happen routinely. Keep them 15 ft and in.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2014, 05:39:29 PM »
Great: Obekpa and free throws.

Good: Harrison

Bad: defense and rebounding

worse: Rysheed taking care of the basketball

Tiznow

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2014, 10:15:57 PM »

???  ???  ???

Like you and Jones..;)

seriously though he didnt play great and looked a little out of shape. Kid hasnt had a real game in like 20 months and is coming off surgery. Hit a nice jumper, had two nice drives where he didnt finish one and got fouled and hit both ft's on the other. I dont understand why him or obekpa would ever guard someone 20 ft from the hoop but it seems to happen routinely. Keep them 15 ft and in.

Good point on Jones.  You don't write off a kid based on one game.  Twenty months of rust and a reported knee procedure that kept him out of practice ten days before the exhibition.  All things considered he played fine.

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2014, 12:40:01 AM »

worser: Oblockpa's shorts

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2014, 10:49:28 AM »

???  ???  ???

Like you and Jones..;)

Other then Obekpa, I thought only Jones gave maximum effort in the first half.  He's also the only guy who boxes out on this team.  Unfortunately, his hands are so small, that it usually goes for naught.

Poison

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2014, 12:43:54 PM »

???  ???  ???

Like you and Jones..;)

Good point on Jones.  You don't write off a kid based on one game.  Twenty months of rust and a reported knee procedure that kept him out of practice ten days before the exhibition.  All things considered he played fine.

I don't think anyone is writing off Jones. Just identifying where his game is now, and he needs a lot of work on defense. He wasn't playing any that I could see.

redslope

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2014, 01:07:50 PM »

worser: Oblockpa's shorts
But we won many more games when the team wore them--let's start a trend and wear throw back uniforms

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2014, 02:01:27 PM »

???  ???  ???

Like you and Jones..;)

I don't think anyone is writing off Jones.

yea...