Sir'Dominic Pointer Draft Prospect

• 92 replies
Re: Sir'Dominic Pointer Draft Prospect
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2015, 06:48:47 PM »
Even Nuri started over Pointer

Wods317

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2015, 06:57:12 PM »
Lets keep this positive! Dom was awesome this year and is getting some NBA looks and may possibly get drafted in the 2nd round. This is all good stuff. The thread is about Doms NBA prospects, lets keep it that way.

redslope

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2015, 09:13:27 PM »
Don't even mention Dom in the same comment as that quitter--Dom never quit in 4 years

jsk

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2015, 11:23:36 AM »
Hard work pays! Go Dom. Good Luck! ;)

Poison

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2015, 11:30:07 AM »
Previous staff didn't do this kid any favors. I do think he is athletic enough to get a look

I think they did do him a favor last year by asking him to play out of position. He proved to everyone that he could guard guys that had height and strength. I had no idea that he was even capable. He went from a college ball bust to an NBA player. Drafted or not, he'll play in the league.

He played out if position because there was noone else. He was underutilized the 3 previous years

He excelled at the 4.  He didn't play the 4 his first three years because of guys named Harkless and Sampson.  You think he should have gotten more minutes over those guys? 

Dom was a terrible outside shooter for most of his career. 

I think he didn't play his first 3 years because he simply wasn't playing well. Harkless was a polished power forward, who was so polished that he could actually play the 5 and the 3 as well as a freshman. Pointer didn't have a position at that time.

Sampson had an awkward 10 footer, but he did hot that shot w consistency.

That said, as a senior, Dom was better than both of them. I think it will be interesting to see where Dom is playing pro ball next season. I could see a team like GSW liking the idea of a second pick who dedicated to defense. It's not a popular role, but some teams still value defense.

DFF6

« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2015, 11:52:06 AM »

Pretty pathetic troll bait here.  You're better than this Baldi. 

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2015, 01:39:13 PM »
I think Dom is and was better than Sampson
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 03:37:17 PM by Marco Baldi »

hnk

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2015, 01:42:30 PM »
I bet he develops a real jump shot.  He is not that far off now.

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2015, 02:46:04 PM »
Dom is one of those few guys I hope gets drafted by a good team.  I think his true skills come will out if he's surrounded by better guys.  If he puts in the time with that corner 3, the sky is the limit.

pmg911

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2015, 03:44:47 PM »

Pointer was not better then Sampson while at SJU

« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2015, 03:49:11 PM »

Just my opinion. Sampson led them to NIT( and got lit up) on a more talented team. Dom was the best player on a 6 man deep team and hustled his ass off to get them a bid

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2015, 03:51:12 PM »

Just my opinion. Sampson led them to NIT( and got lit up) on a more talented team. Dom was the best player on a 6 man deep team and hustled his ass off to get them a bid

I agree Dom was a better SJU player than Sampson, but you never know how good Sampson would have been if he stayed 4 years.

Tha Kid

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2015, 04:13:33 PM »

Perhaps Sampson was also used improperly here, Baldi.

Dom never looked as good on the court with Sampson or in place of them when they were together.  Thats on Dom moreso than Lav.  Some guys develop more slowly.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2015, 05:51:21 AM »

Dom never looked as good on thte court with Sampson or in place of them when they were together.  Thats on Dom moreso than Lav.  Some guys develop more slowly.

If you had to choose 1 to put out on the court, Dom or Sampson?

Poison

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2015, 08:44:59 AM »

Dom never looked as good on thte court with Sampson or in place of them when they were together.  Thats on Dom moreso than Lav.  Some guys develop more slowly.

If you had to choose 1 to put out on the court, Dom or Sampson?

Dom from the 14-15 season? Every time.

« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2015, 10:33:49 AM »
If I'm Pointer (or anyone), I'm not sure I want to be drafted that late. 

If he just misses out, he'll get an invite to camp from a lot of teams.  Then, he can sit back, assess everything, and decide on which situation is best for him.  He can see where he likely will get the most playing time, and go from there (if that is his #1 priority).  Look at what not getting drafted did for Sampson this year.  The ultimate tanking team called, and he got more exposure then he ever could have, if he had gotten drafted by a contending team.

Odds are, that a late second round pick will belong to a good team (though they are often traded away).  Then, Dom becomes locked into going to that team's camps, and if it's a team that's kept their pick, he would have virtually no shot to get on the opening night roster.  Then, it's "hello Europe."  Nothing wrong with that, but I'm sure Dom wants to play in the NBA.  If he does, he should probably hope he doesn't get drafted.

« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2015, 09:20:06 PM »
http://zagsblog.com/articles/sirdominic-pointer-reflects-on-steve-lavin-needs-to-improve-shooting-ahead-of-nba-draft/
If Pointer hopes to make his mark at the next level, he will need to find a way to improve his perimeter game.

“I don’t know if he needs to get a 3-point shot, but he needs to make an open shot,” Nets Director of Player Personnel Gregg Polinsky said. “I think making an 18-20-footer for him is fine. What you don’t want to do, and what you saw a little bit at times during the playoffs, is when a team senses they can’t shoot, it’s 4-on-5.

“You don’t want that guy to be a liability. You want him to figure out a way to make an open shot, or you’re running enough motion that he’ll be able to find a way to get in and slash at the rim.”
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

goredmen

« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2015, 10:42:31 PM »

Pointer played both ends of the floor (sometimes dominant defensively) while Sampson was completely lost on defense. The only game Sampson played defense was against Creighton at home last year

MCNPA

« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2015, 10:45:33 PM »
My guess is that Dom will be drafted somewhere after early second round.  Not sure if that means Mid-early to late, but I think he will be...  Good overall player...

« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2015, 03:42:54 AM »
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/2015-nba-mock-draft-consensus-ver-7-0/
St. John’s senior Sir’Dominic Pointer is also drawing rave reviews in workouts. While he’s a long shot in the first round, there is a growing sense that he may be in the mix between 30 and 41, with 41 to the Brooklyn Nets being a potential floor. Sir’Dominic is drawing comparisons to Memphis guard Tony Allen as a lockdown perimeter defender and has been asked back by a number of teams to work out against higher level talent in part to showcases his defense against them, but also to get a second look at a player teams may not have initially considered an option with their pick.
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"