Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies
Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #1020 on: March 21, 2015, 10:03:08 PM »
Hope Dave is wrong but if he is not and our highest aspiration is Masiello than we are truly doomed to be mired in the morass we have been in since Lou retired,  in which case I will need to divorce myself from the morass and go after more ass.  :)

How does Massiello equal doomed? What's wrong with him? I think he's a damn good coach.
Didn't really mean doomed (hyperbole) but was hoping to aim higher.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 10:04:14 PM by Celtics11 »

derk

« Reply #1021 on: March 21, 2015, 10:08:17 PM »
Dave why is Repole a Mas fan and not Cluess. Is the new president tuned into Repole ?

« Reply #1022 on: March 21, 2015, 10:15:08 PM »
Dave why is Repole a Mas fan and not Cluess. Is the new president tuned into Repole ?
But you can be sure he knows where the money lives.

goredmen

« Reply #1023 on: March 21, 2015, 10:26:22 PM »
Masiello, with Manhattan, was giving a damn good Louisville team a run for their money in the tournament last year while we were getting embarrassed by Robert Morris in the NIT but somehow we're doomed if we get rid of the chronic underachiever we have now for the chronic overachiever Masiello? What planet do I live on

Poison

« Reply #1024 on: March 21, 2015, 10:34:00 PM »
Masiello, with Manhattan, was giving a damn good Louisville team a run for their money in the tournament last year while we were getting embarrassed by Robert Morris in the NIT but somehow we're doomed if we get rid of the chronic underachiever we have now for the chronic overachiever Masiello? What planet do I live on

Has Lavin ever even been in the game against Louisville? Imagine if he had to go up against Massiello. That is a huge mismatch.

« Reply #1025 on: March 21, 2015, 11:14:07 PM »
This is nothing personal in regards to Dave because I think he always has great insight, but I always hate the "hasn't proven anything" argument when it comes to discrediting up-and-coming coaches for us.

For all of the head coaches in the Big East right now, how many were 'proven' already at a high major level?

Before their current jobs:

Jay Wright: Head Coach at Hofstra
JT3: Head Coach at Princeton
Ed Cooley: Head Coach at Fairfield
Greg McDermott: Head Coach at Iowa State (Never reached postseason in 4 years)
Steve Wojciechowski: No previous Head Coaching experience
Chris Mack: No previous Head Coaching experience
Chris Holtmann: Head Coach at Gardner-Webb
Kevin Willard: Head Coach at Iona 

And yet I'd say most of these teams are fairly happy with their head coaches.

Edit: Originally forgot about Willard.

It's not to say they can't be successful, aren't or won't be a great coach but it's simply a risky choice.

It's tough to project success at higher levels without proven results. There are always exceptions to this rule. Bo Ryan was a DIII coach and Wisconsin is one of the best programs in the country annually.

At this point in time for St. John's I wouldn't want to get rid of Lavin for an unproven coach who HOPEFULLY does better. Just my opinion.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #1026 on: March 21, 2015, 11:17:09 PM »
Boo I've heard the same on Archie but not with Danny. You guys think Danny would not view SJU as a long term job?

Dave - Any idea on why Repole prefers Mass?

St. John's didn't get Jermaine Lawrence and Manhattan did.

Poison

« Reply #1027 on: March 21, 2015, 11:20:04 PM »
Boo I've heard the same on Archie but not with Danny. You guys think Danny would not view SJU as a long term job?

Isn't that a good thing? From what I've seen from Lawrence, he's outclassed in the MAAC. He should have gone to St.Francis.

goredmen

« Reply #1028 on: March 21, 2015, 11:23:04 PM »
This is nothing personal in regards to Dave because I think he always has great insight, but I always hate the "hasn't proven anything" argument when it comes to discrediting up-and-coming coaches for us.

For all of the head coaches in the Big East right now, how many were 'proven' already at a high major level?

It's not to say they can't be successful, aren't or won't be a great coach but it's simply a risky choice.

It's tough to project success at higher levels without proven results. There are always exceptions to this rule. Bo Ryan was a DIII coach and Wisconsin is one of the best programs in the country annually.

At this point in time for St. John's I wouldn't want to get rid of Lavin for an unproven coach who HOPEFULLY does better. Just my opinion.

But we know what Lavin is, and thats an underachiever. Why wouldn't it be smart to take a chance on a guy that could be the next Bo Ryan/Shaka etc. To me the only reason to want to keep Lavin at this point is because you are content with the mediocrity of the program
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 11:24:12 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #1029 on: March 21, 2015, 11:25:04 PM »

But we know what Lavin is, and thats an underachiever. Why wouldn't it be smart to take a chance on a guy that could be the next Bo Ryan/Shaka etc.

So what if you take a chance and are wrong? Have to consider best and worst case scenario.

goredmen

« Reply #1030 on: March 21, 2015, 11:31:25 PM »

But we know what Lavin is, and thats an underachiever. Why wouldn't it be smart to take a chance on a guy that could be the next Bo Ryan/Shaka etc.

So what if you take a chance and are wrong? Have to consider best and worst case scenario.

I have considered it. If we take a chance and are wrong then we still aren't finishing 4th or better in the conference or winning games in the BET or NCAA tourney. We'll be slightly worse than where we are now. Take a chance on an up and coming guy and we can be in a much better position than where we currently are

« Reply #1031 on: March 21, 2015, 11:35:50 PM »

I have considered it. If we take a chance and are wrong then we still aren't finishing 4th or better in the conference or winning games in the BET or NCAA tourney. We'll be slightly worse than where we are now. Take a chance on an up and coming guy and we can be in a much better position than where we currently are

So worst case scenario St. John's is DePaul in the Purnell years. It's a realistic scenario.

« Reply #1032 on: March 21, 2015, 11:40:54 PM »

Isn't that a good thing? From what I've seen from Lawrence, he's outclassed in the MAAC. He should have gone to St.Francis.

I don't think you understand. Think about what I said some more.

« Reply #1033 on: March 21, 2015, 11:46:51 PM »
If he would come and the administration would go along I would   be happy with Larry Brown even for the few years he has left,
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 11:48:00 PM by 96 Schermerhorn Street »

goredmen

« Reply #1034 on: March 21, 2015, 11:51:17 PM »

So worst case scenario St. John's is DePaul in the Purnell years. It's a realistic scenario.

That is on one extreme end of the spectrum. That is about as realistic as the other extreme end of the spectrum of our next hire being the next Brad Stevens and taking us to two final 4s in a row.

Realistic worst case scenario is we become a program like how Seton Hall has been lately and they have even been in the tourney hunt here and there over the past 6 years. Realistic best case scenario is we become a program like Xavier. Consistent NCAA tourney appearances, wins in the tourney here and there with the occasional down year. I think we would all sign up for that

« Reply #1035 on: March 21, 2015, 11:58:08 PM »
In a few years, when Lavin has us in the Final Four, I hope all of you people are man enough to stand on line to apologize.

« Reply #1036 on: March 22, 2015, 12:03:06 AM »
Went on fb and this popped up

goredmen

« Reply #1037 on: March 22, 2015, 12:09:42 AM »
In a few years, when Lavin has us in the Final Four, I hope all of you people are man enough to stand on line to apologize.

I will apologize. Then I'll wake up

Poison

« Reply #1038 on: March 22, 2015, 12:12:25 AM »

You're right, I don't think I do. Are you trying to say that Massiello picked a bad apple?

« Reply #1039 on: March 22, 2015, 12:14:35 AM »

You're right, I don't think I do. Are you trying to say that Massiello picked a bad apple?
He had enough swagger to pull a former 5 star to the Bronx even though a high major that formerly recruited him couldn't get him back.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 12:15:34 AM by bball purist »