Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies

Pete88

Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #1080 on: March 22, 2015, 08:35:15 PM »
Baldi don't think we want Howland.  No loss IMO.

Oh hell no. But DePaul did. Now they will look into the same pool as us and they have a vacancy with a great new facility

Why are we competing with DePaul for low/mid level coaches?  I thought SJU was a marquee program, should be able to attract the best in the business!!!

« Reply #1081 on: March 22, 2015, 08:39:11 PM »

Oh hell no. But DePaul did. Now they will look into the same pool as us and they have a vacancy with a great new facility

Why are we competing with DePaul for low/mid level coaches?  I thought SJU was a marquee program, should be able to attract the best in the business!!!

Was

goredmen

« Reply #1082 on: March 22, 2015, 09:21:59 PM »

It was proven we weren't a marquee program when everybody passed on us 5 years ago and we had to settle for Lavin

desco80

« Reply #1083 on: March 23, 2015, 06:20:51 PM »
I hate jim Calhoun . Would be his biggest fan ever if he was hired. Not a home run. Walk off grand slam to win World Series home run. Then we get a young coach. Who has a chance.
Would be the biggest mistake of as he is retired and would cash the checks but not put in the effort at this stage of his life

One could argue Lavin has been doing some of that himself.

This is where you lose me and respect for your posts. Get a life and some respect for people. Don't think he is a good coach, fine. the personal stuff is BS

That's fair.  But I'm not trying to be loved by you Shamsman.

It's been rumored that he showed up just before tip-off for the NIT game last year, which became a disaster.
His recruiting the last two seasons has been less than spectacular, and local coaches say they don't see enough of him at their games/practices.
An inference can certainly be drawn from that, that SL isn't giving this job his full attention.    You can disagree, but that's where I'm coming from.
It's not personal, I don't think he drowns puppies.  But from what I've heard I think it's possible that he's not giving us full effort.

paultzman

« Reply #1084 on: March 23, 2015, 06:26:09 PM »
I hate jim Calhoun . Would be his biggest fan ever if he was hired. Not a home run. Walk off grand slam to win World Series home run. Then we get a young coach. Who has a chance.
Would be the biggest mistake of as he is retired and would cash the checks but not put in the effort at this stage of his life

This is where you lose me and respect for your posts. Get a life and some respect for people. Don't think he is a good coach, fine. the personal stuff is BS

It's been rumored that he showed up just before tip-off for the NIT game last year, which became a disaster.
His recruiting the last two seasons has been less than spectacular, and local coaches say they don't see enough of him at their games/practices.
An inference can certainly be drawn from that, that SL isn't giving this job his full attention.    You can disagree, but that's where I'm coming from.
It's not personal, I don't think he drowns puppies.  But from what I've heard I think it's possible that he's not giving us full effort.
Puppies in sweats?

« Reply #1085 on: March 23, 2015, 06:29:34 PM »

hnk

« Reply #1086 on: March 23, 2015, 06:38:22 PM »
Give Desc a pass for today....he must be devastated that his poll didnt turn out the way he hoped.

desco80

« Reply #1087 on: March 23, 2015, 06:54:36 PM »

I'm not his boss, I'm not privy to smoking guns.   But from what I've heard and seen, that's the opinion I've formed.   But I fully admit that it's not all concrete.    Hopefully his bosses know what's true and what's not.

HNK, I'm not upset by the poll.   A lot of people still support the coach, it's just surprising to me, nothing more. 
At the end of the day only one person's opinion matters: President Gemespaw
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 06:55:28 PM by desco80 »

Poison

« Reply #1088 on: March 23, 2015, 06:57:28 PM »
SG - Brandon Sampson
SG - Myles Stewart
SF - Christian Jones
PF - Amar Alibegovic
C - Adonis Delarosa

Bench:
SF - Felix Balamou
SG- Sammy Thompkins
C- Joey Delarosa
SG - Samir Doughty
SG - Jay Henderson

IMO, Lavin has put the program in a position where it will need a legendary recruiting haul this spring just to able to play D1 ball. The current returnees, collectively, do not make up a D1 team. Are we really going to give him an extension despite this?

Poison

« Reply #1089 on: March 23, 2015, 06:58:53 PM »

Low level D1 coach? Have a look at our record vs this low level D1 coach.

hnk

« Reply #1090 on: March 23, 2015, 07:02:45 PM »
Desco...I think everyone's surprised by the poll results....I certainly was.....but I guess the anti's are way more active and vocal....that does make sense.

desco80

« Reply #1091 on: March 23, 2015, 07:07:12 PM »
Desco...I think everyone's surprised by the poll results....I certainly was.....but I guess the anti's are way more active and vocal....that does make sense.

It does.  I think there are a lot more traditional redmen fans in Lavin's corner than we expected.   They just may not post very often, but they're members here and on RM.
Although, I do think if we ran a poll here the numbers may be a little closer.   I think generally speaking the Jungle leans more toward a new coach than Redmen.com.   
But thats just a theory.

hnk

« Reply #1092 on: March 23, 2015, 07:12:29 PM »
There was a poll here......it's about 60 in favor of extending.

hnk

« Reply #1093 on: March 23, 2015, 07:14:36 PM »
Topic is Lavin.....62% extend him (some extend without a guarantee)

desco80

« Reply #1094 on: March 23, 2015, 07:15:32 PM »

But the question was what do you think St Johns will do.     No?

Poison

« Reply #1095 on: March 23, 2015, 07:15:39 PM »

Where is that poll?

Edit: Wait a minute, I posted that poll. The question isn't what we want them to do.
It's what will they do?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 07:23:08 PM by Poison »

hnk

« Reply #1096 on: March 23, 2015, 07:28:44 PM »
Ooops...sorry

« Reply #1097 on: March 23, 2015, 07:41:11 PM »
SG - Brandon Sampson
SG - Myles Stewart
SF - Christian Jones
PF - Amar Alibegovic
C - Adonis Delarosa

Bench:
SF - Felix Balamou
SG- Sammy Thompkins
C- Joey Delarosa
SG - Samir Doughty
SG - Jay Henderson

IMO, Lavin has put the program in a position where it will need a legendary recruiting haul this spring just to able to play D1 ball. The current returnees, collectively, do not make up a D1 team. Are we really going to give him an extension despite this?
I'd be willing for a 2-3 year extension with zero buyout.  Seriously, buyout should not be more than 500k. I'd present the recent poor recruiting results for the 0-500k figure.

« Reply #1098 on: March 23, 2015, 07:42:25 PM »

It does.  I think there are a lot more traditional redmen fans in Lavin's corner than we expected.   They just may not post very often, but they're members here and on RM.
Although, I do think if we ran a poll here the numbers may be a little closer.   I think generally speaking the Jungle leans more toward a new coach than Redmen.com.   
But thats just a theory.
I want to ask Dave how many voters had 25 posts or less.

hnk

« Reply #1099 on: March 23, 2015, 07:49:18 PM »
I'd rather u ask him who we are signing in April?