Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies

Foad

Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2014, 09:39:16 PM »
Putting aside the fact that it is true or not, many of your guys arguments for him not leaving are him giving up money. Lavin has made 5+ mill at st johns already. He is not strapped for cash, im sure he would get paid great to do commentary again. You guys ever think that coaching this team is perhaps just too much for him? Maybe he doesnt want the grind anymore, in fact I think he doesnt.

Lavin's ego will not permit him to walk away from this job now. He'd look like a complete incompetent and a buffoon besides. It would validate everything UCLA fans said about him. Even Dick Vitale would snicker. Next year he'll make the NCAA tournament despite his obvious shortcomings, then he'll  walk, having rehabilitated himself.

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2014, 09:40:27 PM »
Maybe Mase, but that flies in the face of everything he's said the last two two weeks.. He's been asked directly about whether or not he wants to be here.  His answer was clear.

5 mil, before taxes.. cut that in 1/2.. Now you know you have another 2 years a 1.5 each or whatever guaranteed?  People don't give that up.. They just don't unless they are uber rich... again, who, in the last 24-48 hours has decided to cut the check so Lavin can ride off into the sunset? 

I'm not taking sides, I'm just looking at it from a practical business perspective...

What would you expect him to say in those situations boo?  Plus, the five mill I used was with the taxes out, saw he made 2 mill+ this year in total comp, so that over 4 years with the taxes out brings it to around 5 mill. But regardless your point is well taken and the only  person who can really answer it is Lavin himself. Or baldi of course :p

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:41:40 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

boo3

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2014, 09:40:44 PM »
Putting aside the fact that it is true or not, many of your guys arguments for him not leaving are him giving up money. Lavin has made 5+ mill at st johns already. He is not strapped for cash, im sure he would get paid great to do commentary again. You guys ever think that coaching this team is perhaps just too much for him? Maybe he doesnt want the grind anymore, in fact I think he doesnt.

Lavin's ego will not permit him to walk away from this job now. He'd look like a complete incompetent and a buffoon besides. It would validate everything UCLA fans said about him. Even Dick Vitale would snicker. Next year he'll make the NCAA tournament despite his obvious shortcomings, then he'll  walk, having rehabilitated himself.

Makes much more sense..Especially if he doesn't get extension.

goredmen

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2014, 09:43:49 PM »
If he were to resign, which I don't see happening, it would have to have something to do with the extension. Nobody negotiates an extension if they think there might be a chance they just quit. Unless the reason he waited until after this season to get moving on the extension was because he wasn't sure if he wanted to come back. Idk, just doesn't make sense

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2014, 09:47:32 PM »
The World according to Bluto:
Stephenson, Syl basically every NYC kid Norm didn't get played for ST John's
Norm is still coaching
Lavin is coaching USC
Jordan is at Temple
Iona is a real school and not something he made up
If Iona was a real school they had pretty girls

Exactly!!!!!! He blows more hot air than a balloon! Again, people called him out and he wont even take the high road and take the bet if his sources are that good.

When will you realize he is an IONA homer and nothing but a troll

Marillac

« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2014, 09:49:25 PM »

This.

Marco Baldi could coach next season's team to the tournament...the poster or the former player.  No way in hell does Lavin want to give those UCLA fans the satisfaction of having his last game be a loss to RMU in the NIT. 

boo3

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2014, 09:51:10 PM »
 Only way is if, god forbid, he was sick again...

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2014, 09:57:11 PM »
Hearing this is done deal. Time for both parties to move on. Get Massiello on the phone ASAP

God I love this

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2014, 10:10:50 PM »
Don't worry boys. Anthony Lee might get us over the hump. Him and the kid who left 5 mins into the Nit game

Marillac

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2014, 10:14:36 PM »
Don't worry boys. Anthony Lee might get us over the hump. Him and the kid who left 5 mins into the Nit game
So Anthony Lee is going to commit to a team without a coach?  Who left 5 mins into the NIT game?

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2014, 10:19:47 PM »
Lavin said we were going to do some damage in March. He was right, too bad the damage was to the program. Lavin's team's are supposedly supposed to get better as the season goes along but this is two straight years we collapsed at the end, this year losing 4 of the last 6. I believe his original contract was for 5 years so what I would do is not extend him but make him prove himself next year as right now we don't even know what next years team will look like. I realize this might hurt recruiting in the short term but it is better than being locked in on a coach who make continue to come up short. Besides, off of this years results may be hard to sign the top players early off of these results and players interested in us may want not want to commit in the early signing period but may want to see how next season plays out and sign late.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:24:43 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »
So Anthony Lee is going to commit to a team without a coach?  Who left 5 mins into the NIT game?

Christ the King

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2014, 10:43:30 PM »

Christ the King

He didn't leave. Was there whole game. Even got pumped when we cut it to 8.  Stop lying

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2014, 10:49:18 PM »
I'm not lying. Check the posts

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2014, 10:54:45 PM »
There were extension talks a week/week and a half ago, now this crap? I was hoping firing this season.

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2014, 11:00:34 PM »
I would love to know how this team will be better next year

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2014, 11:03:35 PM »
Inside information I would trust from Bluto:
Best happy hour
Best place to get buffalo wings
Best place to meet fat Iona girls

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2014, 11:05:31 PM »
All false.