Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies
Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2014, 02:28:55 AM »
I honestly think that would be their first call, but stranger things have happened.

derk

« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2014, 09:38:38 AM »
If this does happen what are the chances the administration messes it up by going with somebody other than Masiello?

Likely

« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2014, 01:05:01 PM »
I really think that most of you guys need to look at reality.

Nobody is coming here better than Lavin.  Why?  Since Louie how many times have the powers that be brought in a coach that is even decent and can recruit?  So they are going to get it right next time?  Right....

Let this guy to be the face and have strong assistants.  It ain't getting any better than this.

Side Note - Jarvis is available again...Great Hire.

goredmen

« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2014, 02:52:56 PM »

Nobody is coming here better than Lavin.  Why?  Since Louie how many times have the powers that be brought in a coach that is even decent and can recruit?  So they are going to get it right next time?  Right....

Let this guy to be the face and have strong assistants.  It ain't getting any better than this.

Ridiculous statement. Why can't we find the next Shaka? People seem to think we need an established name to succeed when assistants and smaller conference coaches can, have and will continue to succeed at bigger programs

« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2014, 03:01:49 PM »
That assistant from Kansas who once coached in the CUNY conference sure succeeded.

happyrappy is pretty much on point. Whoever think "the next Shaka" even things about coming here has to be puffing on the world's most potent chronic.

« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2014, 03:24:41 PM »
That assistant from Kansas who once coached in the CUNY conference sure succeeded.

happyrappy is pretty much on point. Whoever think "the next Shaka" even things about coming here has to be puffing on the world's most potent chronic.

Also, canning a Coach coming off a 20 win season and a coach that won 20 games 2 out of 3 or 4 years (depending if you count cancer year or not) isn't the way to attract young coaching talent.

goredmen

« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2014, 03:36:25 PM »

Seeing how the actual Shaka is still not coaching in a major conference what makes you think the next Shaka wouldn't come here? Does the next Shaka even know he is the next Shaka? Who's to say Masiello isn't the next great coach. Bread Stevens was an assistant at Butler and Butler chose to hire him instead of searching for a big name. Worked out well for them. Worked out well for Xavier when they went with Chris Mack instead of a bigger name.

You guys do realize pretty much every good great head coach was previously a coach at a small school before they became bigtime right?

Tha Kid

« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2014, 03:37:10 PM »

Also, canning a Coach coming off a 20 win season and a coach that won 20 games 2 out of 3 or 4 years (depending if you count cancer year or not) isn't the way to attract young coaching talent.

Coaches aren't dumb.  They see our players and know we should be better.  Inheriting this kind of talent would be a PRO to coming to st johns, not a negative bc Lavin was fired (if it happens) for only winning 20.
"I drink and I know things"

goredmen

« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2014, 03:38:03 PM »

20 win seasons aren't worth anything anymore. It's all about NCAA tournament appearances and wins these days

« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2014, 04:54:11 PM »
I was speaking to a retired high school coach who confirmed what Baldi is saying.  Lavin may, in fact, be on the way out.

« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2014, 04:59:27 PM »

Coaches aren't dumb.  They see our players and know we should be better.  Inheriting this kind of talent would be a PRO to coming to st johns, not a negative bc Lavin was fired (if it happens) for only winning 20.

I agree, coaches aren't dumb. And they know that PRO is for one year though. Then the new coach has to replace just about everyone. Which will probably lead to a losing record followed by more wins the following year, followed by 20+ wins in year 4. Sound familiar?

I just don't see a sure thing knocking down the door to coach St. John's. If the AD's phone is ringing off the hook with good coaches then go ahead and give them a look.

jmac

« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2014, 05:18:25 PM »
I was speaking to a retired high school coach who confirmed what Baldi is saying.  Lavin may, in fact, be on the way out.

Well, a retired high school would know.

Marillac

« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2014, 11:31:15 PM »

Coaches know the value of experience.  Who wouldn't be scared to see a coach get canned before seeing his first recruiting class reach its senior season?  This isn't UCLA.  Our kids are raw and Lavin lost his x's and o's guru and best player to the NBA.

ForeverYoung

• king and the pawn end up in the same box
« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2014, 12:23:13 AM »
Lavin leaving is complete nonsense.  0.0 truth in that

« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2014, 03:14:06 PM »
Again, say what you want. You all should pray I'm right
You get the win-win Baldi.  Steve ends your nightmares, and Mas begins providing sweet SJ's dreams the next 8 years until he takes over for Ricky P.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 03:15:31 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2014, 05:14:36 PM »
No insider information from me but I think Lavin stays.  I think the administration wants him to stay.  Monash will advocate for him I think, since if Lavin is regarded as a failure than Monash admits as much.  They are tied together.

I am deeply disappointed in how things played out this year but in the 21st century, Steve Lavin is the only source of hope I've had.  He has made us relevant in this century, we're always in the national conversation, and the limelight seeks him out.  He is fun to watch and listen to.  In the Big Apple we need a coach with some star power and he wants to be here.  Anyway, I think he wants to stay and the university is happy to have him.  He needs to surround himself with good assistants and that is his biggest challenge since another characteristic that defines him I think is his sense of loyalty to friends and colleagues.

Poison

« Reply #116 on: March 22, 2014, 05:21:14 PM »

Who had a better first 4 years, Jarvis or Lavin?

dR3w

« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2014, 05:30:52 PM »

Before or after Jarvis had a bunch of his wins vacated for cheating?   

What do you mean by better?  Record, recruiting, etc?

Marillac

« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2014, 05:31:52 PM »

Jarvis no question.  He came a shot from a Final Four and then won  the Big East the following year.  I don't think Lavin would have been able to take that loaded crew as far as Jarvis did.  His teams are too soft--at least at St. John's so far.  Under Armour should work in too too on the shorts  and replace the hologram of the skyline with a couple of princesses having tea time.

« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2014, 05:32:09 PM »
No insider information from me but I think Lavin stays.  I think the administration wants him to stay.  Monash will advocate for him I think, since if Lavin is regarded as a failure than Monash admits as much.  They are tied together.

I am deeply disappointed in how things played out this year but in the 21st century, Steve Lavin is the only source of hope I've had.  He has made us relevant in this century, we're always in the national conversation, and the limelight seeks him out.  He is fun to watch and listen to.  In the Big Apple we need a coach with some star power and he wants to be here.  Anyway, I think he wants to stay and the university is happy to have him.  He needs to surround himself with good assistants and that is his biggest challenge since another characteristic that defines him I think is his sense of loyalty to friends and colleagues.
Well put.  I believe a full year of Coach W will help the guys move forward.  We know some players are severely limited in some skill sets, but there are more ways to compensate with more time.