Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies

goredmen

Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #200 on: March 29, 2014, 09:05:41 PM »
How would Danny Hurley be perceived?

I don't think the bad feelings between St Johns and his father would be an issue but Hurley is unproven as a coach at this point. I personally would not have any issues with him should the job open

I am intrigued by Danny Hurley too, but I dont know if he won enough at URI this year though.

I know this may not be popular, but if Lavin left, i say put the full court press on Jim Calhoun. 

After Calhoun, go after Pitino's son.  Here is his current contract structure at Minnesota:

http://deadspin.com/heres-richard-pitinos-minnesota-contract-complete-wi-470877141/all

IMO this contract can be matched - since we dont have big time football and hockey just give him seasons tickets to the Giants and Rangers (or Knicks if he wants that).

You can argue that Minnesota is in the Big 10 but it is also in Minnesota.  NYC is a better destination than Minnesota.

Pitino's kid is not leaving Minnesota for St John's. Keep dreaming. And Calhoun won't come either but if he would you'd have to find a competent coach in waiting to add to the staff with him a la Larry Brown and SMU

sju89tr

« Reply #201 on: March 29, 2014, 09:11:36 PM »

I don't think the bad feelings between St Johns and his father would be an issue but Hurley is unproven as a coach at this point. I personally would not have any issues with him should the job open

I am intrigued by Danny Hurley too, but I dont know if he won enough at URI this year though.

I know this may not be popular, but if Lavin left, i say put the full court press on Jim Calhoun. 

After Calhoun, go after Pitino's son.  Here is his current contract structure at Minnesota:

http://deadspin.com/heres-richard-pitinos-minnesota-contract-complete-wi-470877141/all

IMO this contract can be matched - since we dont have big time football and hockey just give him seasons tickets to the Giants and Rangers (or Knicks if he wants that).

You can argue that Minnesota is in the Big 10 but it is also in Minnesota.  NYC is a better destination than Minnesota.

Pitino's kid is not leaving Minnesota for St John's. Keep dreaming. And Calhoun won't come either but if he would you'd have to find a competent coach in waiting to add to the staff with him a la Larry Brown and SMU

I think Pitino would jump at a chance to come to New York   

SJUFAN

« Reply #202 on: March 29, 2014, 10:00:27 PM »
sucks that Mas is damaged goods now....

Or perfect time for redemption...It's the Vicintian way. It depends on what exactly he lied about...He is just a few credit short from graduating. Very embarrassing, but not a killer yet...As long as this is it.

Rutgers didn't seem to mind Eddie Jordan didn't graduate, why should we?

The issue with MAS I believe wasn't just that he lied, but a HR issue. I believe USF made an official posting indicating that the job required a Bachelor's. Once it became clear he didn't have one, they had no choice. Nothing prohibits team from hiring MAS, although I would rather go after Marshall.   

wpc77

« Reply #203 on: March 29, 2014, 11:39:43 PM »
Calhoun? At St John's? Not a chance.  Huge dirtbag and cheater.  Never would happen.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 11:40:30 PM by wpc77 »

goredmen

« Reply #204 on: March 29, 2014, 11:49:26 PM »
sucks that Mas is damaged goods now....

Or perfect time for redemption...It's the Vicintian way. It depends on what exactly he lied about...He is just a few credit short from graduating. Very embarrassing, but not a killer yet...As long as this is it.

Rutgers didn't seem to mind Eddie Jordan didn't graduate, why should we?

The issue with MAS I believe wasn't just that he lied, but a HR issue. I believe USF made an official posting indicating that the job required a Bachelor's. Once it became clear he didn't have one, they had no choice. Nothing prohibits team from hiring MAS, although I would rather go after Marshall.

Any athletic director with a chance to land Marshall but doesn't go after him should be fired on the spot. With that being said, Marshall would laugh at Monasch if he called

« Reply #205 on: March 29, 2014, 11:53:38 PM »
Why in the world would we need an interim coach to hold down the fort. This is the time of year to hire new coaches why set the program back at least a year and hurt maybe 2 recruiting classes.

« Reply #206 on: March 30, 2014, 04:30:54 AM »

If this were hypothetically a real scenario, they'd take the first flight to Queens. Not even a debate. Additionally Richard Pitino would be my clear cut #1 choice.

However nothing is going to happen and everything is status quo.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #207 on: March 30, 2014, 08:34:23 AM »

You make it seem like Minnesota is like Kentucky or North Carolina.  FYI, it's not!  Look at his contract - he isnt making 5 million dollars a year.  The compensation package can be matched by SJU.

NYC or Minnesota?...Considering Pitino's NY roots and Big East roots (he attended Providence), why wouldnt he come here? 

Minnesota is a middle of the pack Big 10 program and he wont be there for the long term anyway.

Once the new president is in place and Monasch gets the axe, the full court press needs to be put on Pitino.

« Reply #208 on: March 30, 2014, 08:42:03 AM »

If this were hypothetically a real scenario, they'd take the first flight to Queens. Not even a debate. Additionally Richard Pitino would be my clear cut #1 choice.

Dave, just curious why you are so adamant that there wont be a coaching change?

I understand that we do not have a president in place and we have a lame duck AD, but i do know that there are a lot of people who are very unhappy with the efforts of the current coach and the (lack of) results with the program.

To me, once SJU gets their act together with a president and AD, then this is not really far-fetched to me.  I would prefer it to happen within the next month but if I knew it would be this time next year I would sign up for that as well.

Tiznow

« Reply #209 on: March 30, 2014, 10:40:24 AM »

I understand that we do not have a president in place and we have a lame duck AD, but i do know that there are a lot of people who are very unhappy with the efforts of the current coach and the (lack of) results with the program.

To me, once SJU gets their act together with a president and AD, then this is not really far-fetched to me.  I would prefer it to happen within the next month but if I knew it would be this time next year I would sign up for that as well.

Are the people unhappy people who matter?  Is the AD unhappy? 

Besides the chatter on these boards coming from the same small group of people over and over again I have not read one media story since the NY Post article in January.  During this month there were several credible stories with credible sources stating that Lavin's contract was being extended.

« Reply #210 on: March 30, 2014, 10:56:19 AM »

While some fans may be upset at the results of the season, it isn't an accurate statement saying a lot of people are unhappy. Especially if you're implying that decision making people are.

I wouldn't call myself adamant about it but just being realistic. Lav does have some good traction in '15 class too. I would be very excited if players of target land here. Chances of that happening are strong too.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #211 on: March 30, 2014, 10:59:25 AM »

Besides the chatter on these boards coming from the same small group of people over and over again I have not read one media story since the NY Post article in January.  During this month there were several credible stories with credible sources stating that Lavin's contract was being extended.

You can believe what you want, but there is tension in this equation. Contract extension discussions will be interesting. 

uwsfan

« Reply #212 on: March 30, 2014, 12:35:24 PM »

You make it seem like Minnesota is like Kentucky or North Carolina.  FYI, it's not!  Look at his contract - he isnt making 5 million dollars a year.  The compensation package can be matched by SJU.

NYC or Minnesota?...Considering Pitino's NY roots and Big East roots (he attended Providence), why wouldnt he come here? 

Minnesota is a middle of the pack Big 10 program and he wont be there for the long term anyway.

Once the new president is in place and Monasch gets the axe, the full court press needs to be put on Pitino.

I think Pitino would be a dream candidate. He is still very young and could be the kind of long term guy who could do for St. Johns what Boeheim and Coach K did for their respective programs.
But I wonder if he would b hesitant to bolt from a B-10 school after just one year. Maybe he thinks it would look bad and/or feels he would owe them a bit more loyalty.
If only he had stayed at FIU for just one more season it would be much easier.

i like Gregg Marshall alot also. Absolutely believe that he would take an offer from SJU very seriously.

Mike

« Reply #213 on: March 30, 2014, 01:21:37 PM »
I don't think there will be any changes this year, especially if we have a good chance with the 2015 guys. I mean thats what we have been hearing wait for 2015. However, if there is no chance then they need to re-think things. I've been a big supporter of Lavin but somethings going on if Phil is thinking about transferring, unless Henderson or someone better is coming in and he knows his time will be cut even more. People don't like Phil as a player but we need him for depth next year.

paultzman

« Reply #214 on: March 30, 2014, 01:37:31 PM »
I don't think there will be any changes this year, especially if we have a good chance with the 2015 guys. I mean thats what we have been hearing wait for 2015. However, if there is no chance then they need to re-think things. I've been a big supporter of Lavin but somethings going on if Phil is thinking about transferring, unless Henderson or someone better is coming in and he knows his time will be cut even more. People don't like Phil as a player but we need him for depth next year.

Phil should return. Where else would he get so much PT? Something personal must be going on with him. Hopefully he returns from Chicago soon committed to SJU. Obekpa indicating he is not leaving is even more important to me.

Poison

« Reply #215 on: March 30, 2014, 01:57:31 PM »
Phil is a role player. Not a star. If he's used as a reserve scoring guard, as a senior, he's an asset. It's when we have him running the offense that he's playing a position he's unable to play. And again, we return to our coach, bec he put Greene in this position. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 01:58:47 PM by Poison »

goredmen

« Reply #216 on: March 30, 2014, 02:14:10 PM »

I think Pitino would be a dream candidate. He is still very young and could be the kind of long term guy who could do for St. Johns what Boeheim and Coach K did for their respective programs.
But I wonder if he would b hesitant to bolt from a B-10 school after just one year. Maybe he thinks it would look bad and/or feels he would owe them a bit more loyalty.
If only he had stayed at FIU for just one more season it would be much easier.

i like Gregg Marshall alot also. Absolutely believe that he would take an offer from SJU very seriously.

I don't think Pitino leaves a B10 program  that has enjoyed some success recently to go to a tier 2 conference and a program that hasn't enjoyed any success recently.

Gregg Marshall would take our offer about as seriously as he would take an offer from St. Francis. He's declined much better jobs and is looking for a HUGE payday, something we can't give him

goredmen

« Reply #217 on: March 30, 2014, 02:23:38 PM »
Here's what I don't understand: in the last go round we got turned down by Paul Hewitt and Seth Greenberg but now all of a sudden we would be able to lure little Pitino or Marshall or Shaka or some other big coach to come here? The program isn't in that better of shape than it was 4 years ago and the administration won't pony up the cash that these guys would be looking for. Makes 0 sense. We need to accept where this program is in the college basketball landscape

« Reply #218 on: March 30, 2014, 03:42:20 PM »

You can believe what you want, but there is tension in this equation. Contract extension discussions will be interesting.

Monasch is done at SJU.

The main guy responsible for paying Lavin's salary is so disgusted with him he wants Lavin out and a former player hired.

Once a new president and a new AD are in place it will be interesting to see what happens like paultz said.

It may not be this season but if we are having this conversation next year at this time and we are looking for a new coach i would not be shocked at all.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #219 on: March 30, 2014, 03:49:41 PM »

Monasch is done at SJU.

The main guy responsible for paying Lavin's salary is so disgusted with him he wants Lavin out and a former player hired.

Once a new president and a new AD are in place it will be interesting to see what happens like paultz said.

It may not be this season but if we are having this conversation next year at this time and we are looking for a new coach i would not be shocked at all.

Curious is that your opinion that the AD should be gone or you have heard rumors that he will leave once a new President is in? Losing a coach and AD so close to together along with all the other fires that need to be put out at SJU seems a lot for a new President...We are hoping that the President takes the BBall team serious once again which can be a big assumption....

The school has not had a full time President in almost a year which is concerning to me...I am really hoping that the search committee is taking their time and it's not candidates that are turning down the job.
Cougar O' Malley