Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies
Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #220 on: March 30, 2014, 07:27:37 PM »
Here's what I don't understand: in the last go round we got turned down by Paul Hewitt and Seth Greenberg but now all of a sudden we would be able to lure little Pitino or Marshall or Shaka or some other big coach to come here? The program isn't in that better of shape than it was 4 years ago and the administration won't pony up the cash that these guys would be looking for. Makes 0 sense. We need to accept where this program is in the college basketball landscape
We didn't get turned down by Hewitt...turned down by his wife and we were very fortunate...

goredmen

« Reply #221 on: March 30, 2014, 07:38:22 PM »
Here's what I don't understand: in the last go round we got turned down by Paul Hewitt and Seth Greenberg but now all of a sudden we would be able to lure little Pitino or Marshall or Shaka or some other big coach to come here? The program isn't in that better of shape than it was 4 years ago and the administration won't pony up the cash that these guys would be looking for. Makes 0 sense. We need to accept where this program is in the college basketball landscape
We didn't get turned down by Hewitt...turned down by his wife and we were very fortunate...

I agree he wouldn't have been the best option but hard to imagine the program being in worse shape than it is now if he got the job instead of Lavin.

Point is we are a mediocre team in a mediocre conference. We don't pay that well. The NYC draw is a fraction of what it used to be. We aren't in a position to steal the hot coach from the strong conference or the superhot coach that has already turned down programs better than ours

desco80

« Reply #222 on: March 30, 2014, 07:42:17 PM »

I agree he wouldn't have been the best option but hard to imagine the program being in worse shape than it is now if he got the job instead of Lavin.

Point is we are a mediocre team in a mediocre conference. We don't pay that well. The NYC draw is a fraction of what it used to be. We aren't in a position to steal the hot coach from the strong conference or the superhot coach that has already turned down programs better than ours

100% agree.  Which is why you look for the guy who is going to be the next big thing, before he's in high demand.   Archie miller and Shaka aren't available to us anymore.   
My main man OA, is.  As is damaged goods Maisello, and Hurley.   If we wait till Lavins contract expires these guys will be at big programs. 

goredmen

« Reply #223 on: March 30, 2014, 07:59:45 PM »

100% agree.  Which is why you look for the guy who is going to be the next big thing, before he's in high demand.   Archie miller and Shaka aren't available to us anymore.   
My main man OA, is.  As is damaged goods Maisello, and Hurley.   If we wait till Lavins contract expires these guys will be at big programs. 

Bingo. There seems to be a belief by this fanbase that only a big name will be able to win here. Really good coaches don't just start out at bigtime programs. Beilein was at Canisius and Richmond before going bigtime. Bo Ryan was in D2 and then UW Milwaukee before Wisc. Billy Donovan was at Marshall and the list goes on and on. I don't think we are a destination school anymore. Nothing wrong with us going after the up and coming young coach from the MAAC or A10 and hoping he gives us some sustained success before moving on to bigger and better

desco80

« Reply #224 on: March 30, 2014, 08:09:17 PM »

Bingo. There seems to be a belief by this fanbase that only a big name will be able to win here. Really good coaches don't just start out at bigtime programs. Beilein was at Canisius and Richmond before going bigtime. Bo Ryan was in D2 and then UW Milwaukee before Wisc. Billy Donovan was at Marshall and the list goes on and on. I don't think we are a destination school anymore. Nothing wrong with us going after the up and coming young coach from the MAAC or A10 and hoping he gives us some sustained success before moving on to bigger and better

Absolutely right.
But I've heard posters say we can't take that risk.  Why?  We're exactly the kind of program that can afford to take the risk - we have nothing to lose.   Marquette, shouldn't take a risk.  They could really drop off from the level of success they've had.   We, we have nothing to lose. 
we need an AD who has an eye for talent.  Go interview these young coaches and find the one you fall in love with.  The young hungry guy who knocks your socks off. 

« Reply #225 on: March 30, 2014, 08:13:15 PM »

Can we stop with this? Things could be far worse. Did we forget the last decade? People are acting as though we finished last in conference.

derk

« Reply #226 on: March 30, 2014, 08:46:40 PM »
How would Danny Hurley be perceived?

I don't think the bad feelings between St Johns and his father would be an issue but Hurley is unproven as a coach at this point. I personally would not have any issues with him should the job open

I am intrigued by Danny Hurley too, but I dont know if he won enough at URI this year though.

I know this may not be popular, but if Lavin left, i say put the full court press on Jim Calhoun. 

After Calhoun, go after Pitino's son.  Here is his current contract structure at Minnesota:

http://deadspin.com/heres-richard-pitinos-minnesota-contract-complete-wi-470877141/all

IMO this contract can be matched - since we dont have big time football and hockey just give him seasons tickets to the Giants and Rangers (or Knicks if he wants that).

You can argue that Minnesota is in the Big 10 but it is also in Minnesota.  NYC is a better destination than Minnesota.

Pitino's kid is not leaving Minnesota for St John's. Keep dreaming. And Calhoun won't come either but if he would you'd have to find a competent coach in waiting to add to the staff with him a la Larry Brown and SMU

I think Pitino would jump at a chance to come to New York   

Not if his father has anything to say about it.

goredmen

« Reply #227 on: March 30, 2014, 08:47:50 PM »

Can we stop with this? Things could be far worse. Did we forget the last decade? People are acting as though we finished last in conference.

Again, why is finishing tied for 3rd in a mediocre conference some sort of accomplishment? We won 20 games against the Longwoods, Columbias and Seton Halls of the world. whoody doo. We went 2-9 against teams that made the tournament. And things are looking down, not up. So yeah, hard to imagine things would be any worse under a guy like Hewitt.

Forgot to mention that Christian Jones is the only guy on the current roster that will still be on the team for the 15-16 season. Think about that and tell me it could be worse
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 08:57:22 PM by goredmen »

cjfish

« Reply #228 on: March 30, 2014, 09:12:31 PM »
The last good coach  SJU contemplated was Jack Curran when Louie went t the Nets.  Too bad, probably would have been great but Curran wanted no part of it.   Louie was a good, not great, coach: good recruiter, awful record in the torneys.     Future looks bleak, this job is the kiss of death. I hate to say it but Lavin may be as good as it gets.

Foad

« Reply #229 on: March 30, 2014, 09:14:20 PM »
Go interview these young coaches and find the one you fall in love with.  The young hungry guy who knocks your socks off. 

Exactly. We need a home run interview like Norm Roberts.

« Reply #230 on: March 30, 2014, 09:17:38 PM »
Go interview these young coaches and find the one you fall in love with.  The young hungry guy who knocks your socks off. 

Exactly. We need a home run interview like Norm Roberts.

I knew there was a reason I liked you...LOL!!!

MCNPA

« Reply #231 on: March 30, 2014, 09:27:28 PM »
We would have been in fantastic shape right now had we hired Bob McKillop any of the last three times he interviewed.   Next time around, I hope we go after the next Mckillop ie. somebody that can both coach well and builds a team that is smart and cohesive.

goredmen

« Reply #232 on: March 30, 2014, 09:41:11 PM »
We would have been in fantastic shape right now had we hired Bob McKillop any of the last three times he interviewed.   Next time around, I hope we go after the next Mckillop ie. somebody that can both coach well and builds a team that is smart and cohesive.

I wouldn't mind McKillop. He's a solid coach that knows how to build a program. He's at the stage in his career where he has one go-round with a bigger conference program in him. If he's successful he'd stay until it was time to retire rather than leave for a better program
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 09:41:48 PM by goredmen »

LJSA

« Reply #233 on: March 30, 2014, 10:27:48 PM »

Not if his father has anything to say about it.

He's 31. Time to cut the umbilical cord if there still is one.

Tiznow

« Reply #234 on: March 30, 2014, 10:31:54 PM »
How would Danny Hurley be perceived?

I don't think the bad feelings between St Johns and his father would be an issue but Hurley is unproven as a coach at this point. I personally would not have any issues with him should the job open

I am intrigued by Danny Hurley too, but I dont know if he won enough at URI this year though.

I know this may not be popular, but if Lavin left, i say put the full court press on Jim Calhoun. 

After Calhoun, go after Pitino's son.  Here is his current contract structure at Minnesota:

http://deadspin.com/heres-richard-pitinos-minnesota-contract-complete-wi-470877141/all

IMO this contract can be matched - since we dont have big time football and hockey just give him seasons tickets to the Giants and Rangers (or Knicks if he wants that).

You can argue that Minnesota is in the Big 10 but it is also in Minnesota.  NYC is a better destination than Minnesota.

Pitino's kid is not leaving Minnesota for St John's. Keep dreaming. And Calhoun won't come either but if he would you'd have to find a competent coach in waiting to add to the staff with him a la Larry Brown and SMU

If this were hypothetically a real scenario, they'd take the first flight to Queens. Not even a debate. Additionally Richard Pitino would be my clear cut #1 choice.

However nothing is going to happen and everything is status quo.

Dave, just curious why you are so adamant that there wont be a coaching change?

I understand that we do not have a president in place and we have a lame duck AD, but i do know that there are a lot of people who are very unhappy with the efforts of the current coach and the (lack of) results with the program.

To me, once SJU gets their act together with a president and AD, then this is not really far-fetched to me.  I would prefer it to happen within the next month but if I knew it would be this time next year I would sign up for that as well.

Are the people unhappy people who matter?  Is the AD unhappy? 

Besides the chatter on these boards coming from the same small group of people over and over again I have not read one media story since the NY Post article in January.  During this month there were several credible stories with credible sources stating that Lavin's contract was being extended.

You can believe what you want, but there is tension in this equation. Contract extension discussions will be interesting.

Monasch is done at SJU.

The main guy responsible for paying Lavin's salary is so disgusted with him he wants Lavin out and a former player hired.

Once a new president and a new AD are in place it will be interesting to see what happens like paultz said.

It may not be this season but if we are having this conversation next year at this time and we are looking for a new coach i would not be shocked at all.

If the new president is like the old president he or she may not even know we have a basketball team.  Thanks for the response.  We'll see how things continue to develop over the coming weeks.  College hoops is anything but stable - across all programs.

paultzman

« Reply #235 on: April 03, 2014, 09:54:37 AM »

Probably just chatter, but from twitter site two days ago;

@CoachingChanges: Steve Lavin is snooping

Trone

« Reply #236 on: April 03, 2014, 10:08:54 AM »
I am a supporter of Lav but if a change is going to be made right now is the absolute best time.  We have no recruits signed so nothing to worry about in terms of losing commitments, we would have a new coach and stability for '15 and'16 recruits. Also, if we get a current head coach with signed commits there is a chance we get those guys to come over for this year. 

desco80

« Reply #237 on: April 03, 2014, 10:46:20 AM »

Probably just chatter, but from twitter site two days ago;

@CoachingChanges: Steve Lavin is snooping

This isn't all that surprising. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:47:05 AM by desco80 »

« Reply #238 on: April 03, 2014, 12:19:34 PM »
I'm sure Lavin is interested but I would be shocked if Cal gave him the job.

« Reply #239 on: April 03, 2014, 12:34:55 PM »

Plus, as kob, chudney and boo plus others have mentioned recently, if the staff gets Chieck/Briscoe on board for '15, that'll put all this talk in a different direction.