Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies
Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #240 on: April 03, 2014, 04:19:06 PM »
Here's what I don't understand: in the last go round we got turned down by Paul Hewitt and Seth Greenberg but now all of a sudden we would be able to lure little Pitino or Marshall or Shaka or some other big coach to come here? The program isn't in that better of shape than it was 4 years ago and the administration won't pony up the cash that these guys would be looking for. Makes 0 sense. We need to accept where this program is in the college basketball landscape
We didn't get turned down by Hewitt...turned down by his wife and we were very fortunate...

I agree he wouldn't have been the best option but hard to imagine the program being in worse shape than it is now if he got the job instead of Lavin.

Point is we are a mediocre team in a mediocre conference. We don't pay that well. The NYC draw is a fraction of what it used to be. We aren't in a position to steal the hot coach from the strong conference or the superhot coach that has already turned down programs better than ours

Can we stop with this? Things could be far worse. Did we forget the last decade? People are acting as though we finished last in conference.
Plus, as kob, chudney and boo plus others have mentioned recently, if the staff gets Chieck/Briscoe on board for '15, that'll put all this talk in a different direction.

15???  Check out next years roster. Jones at 6'7 will be our tallest, next would be Pointer at 6'5.
At this point I doubt ADR would want to join a sinking ship

And here`s this: @JayOn_1: 2 more players could leave the program also as a result of CO leaving
Is one Jordan?   Next year we could be back to where we were during Lavins second year.
This is really sad and disgusting.   He needs to go NOW.

paultzman

« Reply #241 on: April 03, 2014, 05:05:06 PM »
@MikeVacc: St. John's is crazy if it's still pondering that 6-year extension with Steve Lavin. The program is in disarray and that's on him. #sjubb

@MikeVacc: @BrandonTierney Might help if the coach knew the name or phone number of even one NYC high school coach ...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:11:39 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #242 on: April 03, 2014, 05:15:17 PM »
Is Lavin's real Miyagi, Mike Jarvis?  :-\

« Reply #243 on: April 03, 2014, 05:20:15 PM »
I haven't been this pissed off about our program in a really long time.

FIRE THIS MAN NOW. WE NEED TO RUN HIM OUT OF TOWN.

« Reply #244 on: April 03, 2014, 05:28:11 PM »

This is the same thing with every coach it seems.
We get a new coach, give him time.
By year 4 or 5 we`re pissed off and need a new coach. New coach same old crap.
One suggestion too, if a coach calls and says he`s available, TURN HIM DOWN.
Remember Jarvis called us and what happened with him? Now this crap with Lavin.

I really envy those schools that win with the same coach year after year. We need the right coach next, please.

« Reply #245 on: April 03, 2014, 05:42:28 PM »

This is the same thing with every coach it seems.
We get a new coach, give him time.
By year 4 or 5 we`re pissed off and need a new coach. New coach same old crap.

I really envy those schools that win with the same coach year after year. We need the right coach next, please.
Since most coaches receive 5-6 deals in their first contract, let's look at how many DI Major Conf coaches are with the same school more than 8 years - only 18 out of approx. 80 (longest tenure first):
Boeheim
K
Izzo
Donovan
Barnes
Stallings
Brey
Pitino
Wright
Ryan
Hamilton
Romar
Drew
Self
Roy
Dixon
JTIII
Matta

Pete88

« Reply #246 on: April 03, 2014, 05:49:08 PM »
wow, this is crazy.  Is this almost a repeat of the Jarvis years?  I've never seen coaches lose interest in their jobs or a program as these 2 did. 

The lack of effort is astounding!!!  You really have to look at the administration as the ones at fault.  There is something inherently wrong for this to have happened multiple times now. 

MCNPA

« Reply #247 on: April 03, 2014, 05:53:45 PM »
This is an absolute disaster. We go from the most talented team in the Big East to the least.  How Lavin didn't prepare a 14' recruiting class to at least blunt the threat of transfers/defections is beyond me.  Now we are looking at kids from Westchester Community college to replace a guy like Jakarr Sampson? 

MCNPA

« Reply #248 on: April 03, 2014, 05:56:14 PM »
Imo, go hire a guy for half the price that knows how to coach and spends his life sitting in gyms looking for talent.  Like I said, Mckillop wasn't the sexy name in the last several hires, but we'd have been thriving now.  We don't need a big name.  We need somebody who has fire and knows basketbsll.  This roster turnover is absurd.

Gimme a guy like Ed Cooley who is tireless, loves his city and who wants to build a program the right way.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 06:01:46 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #249 on: April 03, 2014, 06:10:05 PM »
Imo, go hire a guy for half the price that knows how to coach and spends his life sitting in gyms looking for talent.  Like I said, Mckillop wasn't the sexy name in the last several hires, but we'd have been thriving now.  We don't need a big name.  We need somebody who has fire and knows basketbsll.  This roster turnover is absurd.

Gimme a guy like Ed Cooley who is tireless, loves his city and who wants to build a program the right way.
Cooley was underestimated by many, and has pushed on despite some set backs he experienced in recruiting and with his squad.

TONYD3

« Reply #250 on: April 03, 2014, 06:10:43 PM »
I have actually stuck up for this guy lately. He needs to go!

« Reply #251 on: April 03, 2014, 06:17:44 PM »

+10000

MCNPA

« Reply #252 on: April 03, 2014, 06:25:42 PM »

Cooley was underestimated by many, and has pushed on despite some set backs he experienced in recruiting and with his squad.

I'd rather hire the underestimated guy who builds this the right way.  They tried it with Norm, but problem was the the couldn't coach.  There are guys out there that can.  We haven't hired a good coach since Louie was here, and that's the problem.   

SJUFAN

« Reply #253 on: April 03, 2014, 06:33:05 PM »
@MikeVacc: @BrandonTierney Might help if the coach knew the name or phone number of even one NYC high school coach ...

Are you FN kidding me?!?!?!?! Jarvea part duex. Can't make this stuff up. To hear that is more disappointing than anything.

ras

« Reply #254 on: April 03, 2014, 06:56:52 PM »
This looks like a repeat of 2011 we can barely field a team. Inexcusable at this time. Maybe you can't blame Lavin for COs departure, but you certainly can blame him for 0 recruits and the discontent of the players.

« Reply #255 on: April 03, 2014, 07:25:54 PM »
What are all you guys kevetching about? Even after our last scholarship player deserts the program Lavin is sure to field the greatest all walkon team ever. We will win over 20 games and make a deep run in the NCAA T. Even now Lavs is scouring the intermural games and Marillac cafeteria for players. There, have I finally got this right now?

ras

« Reply #256 on: April 03, 2014, 07:34:06 PM »
What are all you guys kevetching about? Even after our last scholarship player deserts the program Lavin is sure to field the greatest all walkon team ever. We will win over 20 games and make a deep run in the NCAA T. Even now Lavs is scouring the intermural games and Marillac cafeteria for players. There, have I finally got this right now?
Is there an NCAA rule that prohibits woman from playing.  If not we could always raid the woman's team.LOl

ras

« Reply #257 on: April 03, 2014, 07:36:08 PM »
The sad thing is we could have had Dunlap.

Mike

« Reply #258 on: April 03, 2014, 09:21:22 PM »

Boy did he get beat up on this site.

MCNPA

« Reply #259 on: April 04, 2014, 01:08:40 AM »

Boy did he get beat up on this site.

Yeah, I owe him an apology myself.  Cooley is no-nonsense and can coach too.  He isn't going to make excuses nor take recruiting seasons off.