Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies
Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #960 on: March 12, 2015, 10:04:39 PM »
Only realistic name that I would take over Lavin next year is Danny Hurley. I'm not sure Danny would leave URI at this point for SJU either.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #961 on: March 12, 2015, 10:15:41 PM »
Not particularly.   Then again, I'm down on college basketball in general.

It's not just St Johns.  Pretty much the whole thing is bad.  The quality of basketball , particularly offensively , is horrendous  and often unwatchable .

I've always been a huge CBB fan. Last couple of years I've migrated back to NBA.  So much better.  Imagine guys actually make shots?  Crazy, I know. 

So in summation,  not happy about St Johns.   Not happy about CBb in general.  The result,  I don't really care who coaches here unless its Calipari, Pitino or a handful or others,  nothing will substantially change around here.

We will never be a national power. 

You just summed up how I feel about college basketball in general.  As, Alex English said on local radio show (he's a South Carolinian), "The game is watered down."

Kentucky and, in some ways, Duke is monopolizing the game, and just the overall way of play isn't particularly good.  That doesn't say, I don't still enjoy the game.  But it's not quite a good product. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 10:17:01 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #962 on: March 12, 2015, 10:17:10 PM »

It's not just St Johns.  Pretty much the whole thing is bad.  The quality of basketball , particularly offensively , is horrendous  and often unwatchable .

I've always been a huge CBB fan. Last couple of years I've migrated back to NBA.  So much better.  Imagine guys actually make shots?  Crazy, I know. 

So in summation,  not happy about St Johns.   Not happy about CBb in general.  The result,  I don't really care who coaches here unless its Calipari, Pitino or a handful or others,  nothing will substantially change around here.

You just summed up how I feel about college basketball in general.  As, Alex English said on local radio show (he's a South Carolinian), "The game is watered down."   

Cluess said same earlier this month in article. Pretty much said the product sucks

Poison

« Reply #963 on: March 12, 2015, 10:19:59 PM »
Only realistic name that I would take over Lavin next year is Danny Hurley. I'm not sure Danny would leave URI at this point for SJU either.

He's got a lot of family here.

Poison

« Reply #964 on: March 12, 2015, 10:26:16 PM »

My sentiments exactly... doesn't matter if its Lavin or some other name, results will be same.  They have been for decades

In regards to CBB it is unwatchable, was a huge fan now have very little desire or patience to watch the product that is out there now.
Although, can't stand the NBA either, fun watching individual ability but that's all it is

You guys need to check the WNBA. You'e gonna love it. Oh, the passing.

boo3

« Reply #965 on: March 12, 2015, 10:48:30 PM »

My sentiments exactly... doesn't matter if its Lavin or some other name, results will be same.  They have been for decades

In regards to CBB it is unwatchable, was a huge fan now have very little desire or patience to watch the product that is out there now.
Although, can't stand the NBA either, fun watching individual ability but that's all it is

You guys need to check the WNBA. You'e gonna love it. Oh, the passing.

What does that even mean?   

Mike Vaccaro with a very good, critical article.

http://nypost.com/2015/03/12/st-johns-seniors-lavin-on-verge-of-leaving-empty-legacy/

« Reply #966 on: March 12, 2015, 11:08:17 PM »
good article by Vacc.

I've tried and will continue to stay positive for as long as these guys are playing.  That being said, this year's issues and likely next year's, will all be a result of lavin not recruiting a 2014 class.  his and this team's demise is directly tied to not having any depth

« Reply #967 on: March 12, 2015, 11:30:04 PM »

he gets a base salary of $300k/year.   with added incentive based pay, his salary balloons to about 700-800k/year.  sju could match that easily.

http://www.turnto10.com/story/22079899/uri-coach-gets-added-perks-in-contract-extension

Poison

« Reply #968 on: March 12, 2015, 11:32:38 PM »

he gets a base salary of $300k/year.   with added incentive based pay, his salary balloons to about 700-800k/year.  sju could match that easily.

http://www.turnto10.com/story/22079899/uri-coach-gets-added-perks-in-contract-extension

He would no longer have to live in Rhode Island. That should be enough.

« Reply #969 on: March 12, 2015, 11:34:58 PM »

He would no longer have to live in Rhode Island. That should be enough.

i hate talking about a coaching change when we still have games to play, but danny hurley is a very, very tempting option.

« Reply #970 on: March 13, 2015, 02:18:02 AM »
Yes he would  stay about 3 years before heading for a State University

Tha Kid

« Reply #971 on: March 13, 2015, 09:13:50 AM »
boo is absolutely right.  If we lose first round and not sure if we want him long time Either we offer him an extension with a low buyout amount and let him either accept it or walk, or we fire him.  Just letting him play out final year is dumb and ties lavins hands on recruiting trail.  That benefits no one.
"I drink and I know things"

desco80

« Reply #972 on: March 13, 2015, 09:45:13 AM »

1) that would mean we were successful

2) not everyone leaves for greener pastures, his dad has been at the same job forever.  He could have taken many opportunities in D1.  Also, see Mark Few and Shaka Smart.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #973 on: March 13, 2015, 10:19:23 AM »
Lavin's salary isn't chunck change either...
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #974 on: March 13, 2015, 10:20:41 AM »

2) not everyone leaves for greener pastures, his dad has been at the same job forever.  He could have taken many opportunities in D1.  Also, see Mark Few and Shaka Smart.
Are you pinning wings on him already?

desco80

« Reply #975 on: March 13, 2015, 11:14:47 AM »

Are you pinning wings on him already?

No, and I'm not saying we should hire him.   Just that your reason for not going after Danny H, isn't too persuasive to me.   Leaving after 3 years isn't terrible.   

« Reply #976 on: March 21, 2015, 01:00:07 AM »
Like I said earlier in thread, Too bad I don't think the school has the $ to go after Billy Donovan. Have to go younger

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #977 on: March 21, 2015, 01:14:25 AM »
Like I said earlier in thread, Too bad I don't think the school has the $ to go after Billy Donovan. Have to go younger

Assuming he wants to leave his sweet gig in Floridea...Cheaper cost of living, smaller town, less media, well established.  So far nothing has changed at St. John's, we're back to where we were five years ago. Has there been any legitimate rumors obout Donovan looking for a change of scenery?

Things will get interesting on the next month or so for sure.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #978 on: March 21, 2015, 01:16:58 AM »

Assuming he wants to leave his sweet gig in Floridea...Cheaper cost of living, smaller town, less media, well established.  So far nothing has changed at St. John's, we're back to where we were five years ago. Has there been any legitimate rumors obout Donovan looking for a change of scenery?

Things will get interesting on the next month or so for sure.

Funny I was just reading an article where it was mentioning crazy rumors about Crean taking the Alabama job and Donovan to Indiana. Something about Donovan not wanting to coach at a football school anymore

« Reply #979 on: March 21, 2015, 01:20:44 AM »
Bobby Hurley is my choice