Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies
Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #980 on: March 21, 2015, 01:22:22 AM »
Bobby Hurley is my choice

Got to be the Hurleys and Archie at the top of the list. All 3 willbe very busy in Indianapolis

« Reply #981 on: March 21, 2015, 01:25:49 AM »
Like I said earlier in thread, Too bad I don't think the school has the $ to go after Billy Donovan. Have to go younger

Assuming he wants to leave his sweet gig in Floridea...Cheaper cost of living, smaller town, less media, well established.  So far nothing has changed at St. John's, we're back to where we were five years ago. Has there been any legitimate rumors obout Donovan looking for a change of scenery?

Things will get interesting on the next month or so for sure.

Funny I was just reading an article where it was mentioning crazy rumors about Crean taking the Alabama job and Donovan to Indiana. Something about Donovan not wanting to coach at a football school anymore
Did you read the article I posted where it stated Indiana may be ok with paying off Crean's buyout of about 11-12 Mil depending on language for before July 1st? If he leaves, Alabama would not get buyout benefit. I think they'll get Miller unless Donovan rumor has legs.

« Reply #982 on: March 21, 2015, 01:29:16 AM »
Whatever they do I hope it works out. Really don't have an opinion on this anymore. Just sad.

Poison

« Reply #983 on: March 21, 2015, 01:54:32 AM »
Lavin improved the profile of the program while he was here. There are some good things that he brought to the school such as quality recruits from Texas, Michigan and Pennsylvania. We weren't the team we hoped to see tonight.

That said, while this loss is hard to swallow, it's not on the players. I have no idea if Lavin took a year off from recruiting, and if he did, why he did. Maybe he's sick, and we aren't and shouldn't be privy to that info. If he is, we should pray for his recovery. If he isn't, his lack of work ethic, judgement and ability to evaluate talent is enough for me to be happy with moving on.

Some have said that making it should be more than enough. I'm sorry, but those people are dead wrong. Lavin has got to be done. He's not a hated man like Mike Jarvis or Norm Roberts, but this program needs a better leader.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 06:15:30 PM by Poison »

paultzman

« Reply #984 on: March 21, 2015, 09:17:05 AM »
@MikeVacc: Column: Sadness for St. John's seniors will quickly give way to anger toward Lavin's tired pile of excuses. http://t.co/fMiFNkIVYR  #sjubb

« Reply #985 on: March 21, 2015, 01:39:38 PM »

Got to be the Hurleys and Archie at the top of the list. All 3 willbe very busy in Indianapolis

and what happens if they all say no?  we're f-u-c-k-e-d

i'm 50/50 on lavin.   decision can't be made blindly.  there has to be a good realistic option. 

« Reply #986 on: March 21, 2015, 01:49:40 PM »

i'm 50/50 on lavin.   decision can't be made blindly.  there has to be a good realistic option.               
I don't see either Hurley telling us no

Pete88

« Reply #987 on: March 21, 2015, 02:19:47 PM »

who says either hurley is an improvement??? 

goredmen

« Reply #988 on: March 21, 2015, 02:21:02 PM »

Anybody with a brain

Pete88

« Reply #989 on: March 21, 2015, 02:49:03 PM »

Anybody with a brain

yeah, because their extensive resumes would lead anyone to call them a sure thing.  wishing and hoping, doesn't make it so.  just another wing and a prayer

Poison

« Reply #990 on: March 21, 2015, 02:50:18 PM »

The decision can definitely be made blindly. They've been making them for almost 25 years. The X factor is the new president. Hopefully, he's everything Harrington wasn't.

goredmen

« Reply #991 on: March 21, 2015, 03:01:28 PM »

Anybody with a brain

yeah, because their extensive resumes would lead anyone to call them a sure thing.  wishing and hoping, doesn't make it so.  just another wing and a prayer

counting on Lavin to somehow become a better coach than he has been over the past 5 years doesn't fall in the 'wishing, hoping, wind and a prayer' category?

derk

« Reply #992 on: March 21, 2015, 03:14:29 PM »

what do you think Lavin would do with RI or Buffalo ?

« Reply #993 on: March 21, 2015, 03:24:18 PM »

what do you think Lavin would do with RI or Buffalo ?

Blame Lamar Odom and Scott Norwood

hnk

« Reply #994 on: March 21, 2015, 03:33:05 PM »
If a change is made which I don't favor what about looking at the the guy who is filling in fo Cronin at  Cincy?

derk

« Reply #995 on: March 21, 2015, 03:37:03 PM »
Your pulling names out of your arse and watching the Kentucky game at the same time.

hnk

« Reply #996 on: March 21, 2015, 03:39:44 PM »
I'm for Lavin extension.

« Reply #997 on: March 21, 2015, 03:56:12 PM »
I'm 50/50 right now. The real deciding factor for me is who they have lined up to take lavin's place. If there is no one better than it makes no sense to fire him. Unfortunately I have no idea who is interested in the job. Based on the realistic names I have heard, I think it makes sense to extend lavin, but tell him he better recruit like a mother and shake up his staff if necessary. I think whitesell had a positive effect based on the way the team looked this season, so maybe Hines or chiles has to go. Or maybe Lavin just had to hit he road harder. Maybe we need a bag man to step up. Either way, he needs to get some good players if he wants to stay

Marillac

« Reply #998 on: March 21, 2015, 05:06:44 PM »
I want to get a guy in here that will be here for 20 years and grow a program--not just coach a team.

There are some attractive candidates like Miller, Marshall, and Smart.  Those are home runs.  There is a possible big-timer in Donovan as well. 

Bobby Hurley is the guy I keep coming back to. 
-Local guy
-Connections throughout most fertile recruiting grounds in country
-A pedigree that can't be matched by anyone
-A tough, smart former player and coach kids will line up to pay for
-Outstanding success at every level as a player and coach
-Winner, hard worker, good x's and o's are how he is universally described
-Coached college in NYC and coached in a big conference at Rhode Island
-Recruited NYC, NJ, and the entire state of NY in five years as a coach
-Proven ability to recruit transfers and JUCOs
-Has rebuilt three programs very quickly

derk

« Reply #999 on: March 21, 2015, 05:13:44 PM »
I want to get a guy in here that will be here for 20 years and grow a program--not just coach a team.

There are some attractive candidates like Miller, Marshall, and Smart.  Those are home runs.  There is a possible big-timer in Donovan as well. 

Bobby Hurley is the guy I keep coming back to. 
-Local guy
-Connections throughout most fertile recruiting grounds in country
-A pedigree that can't be matched by anyone
-A tough, smart former player and coach kids will line up to pay for
-Outstanding success at every level as a player and coach
-Winner, hard worker, good x's and o's are how he is universally described
-Coached college in NYC and coached in a big conference at Rhode Island
-Recruited NYC, NJ, and the entire state of NY in five years as a coach
-Proven ability to recruit transfers and JUCOs
-Has rebuilt three programs very quickly

its Danny at RI. Bobby at Buffalo. Did you mean Danny or Bobby.