JaKarr chatter on Twitter

• 308 replies
Re: JaKarr chatter on Twitter
« Reply #260 on: June 26, 2014, 03:50:03 PM »
I know a guy who played baseball in Italy for a few years.  He made less money than the basketball players will.  I don't think he regrets any of the time he spent there.

LJSA

« Reply #261 on: June 26, 2014, 04:22:17 PM »
The big problem I see is that I think that $200,000 figure being thrown around would have been a lock/near lock if he returned for one more year. I just don't think he's good enough for the Euro leagues that can afford to pay.

A real-life job after graduating college would pay as much as D-league, so his decision is a poor one in my opinion, but I'm not his mommy  or his agent, so my opinion means nothing to him. Good luck to him.

As Foad pointed out, he's not without options should a playing career flame out, but I'd like to add that getting a coaching job without a degree is nearly impossible, so he's going to have to go back to school anyway if that's what he wants to do.

« Reply #262 on: June 26, 2014, 04:32:22 PM »
I know a guy who played baseball in Italy for a few years.  He made less money than the basketball players will.  I don't think he regrets any of the time he spent there.

Bottom line, he will be getting paid to play basketball, a game he loves,  and live overseas for a few years. Things could be worse.

ras

« Reply #263 on: June 26, 2014, 08:02:23 PM »
200k  annually is a lot of money for a kid in his 20 s. If he is smart he can invest some every year, the problem is most of these kids spend it as fast as they make it and don't plan for a rainy day.

Poison

« Reply #264 on: June 26, 2014, 08:23:38 PM »
The big problem I see is that I think that $200,000 figure being thrown around would have been a lock/near lock if he returned for one more year. I just don't think he's good enough for the Euro leagues that can afford to pay.

A real-life job after graduating college would pay as much as D-league, so his decision is a poor one in my opinion, but I'm not his mommy  or his agent, so my opinion means nothing to him. Good luck to him.

As Foad pointed out, he's not without options should a playing career flame out, but I'd like to add that getting a coaching job without a degree is nearly impossible, so he's going to have to go back to school anyway if that's what he wants to do.

Should a playing career flame out he is without options. That's the point. That's the only point.

« Reply #265 on: June 26, 2014, 08:55:56 PM »
Why is he without options?  Why is there this assumption that these kids are complete nice persons who cannot become function and successful adults if they can't play basketball?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:57:49 PM by simplyred »

Poison

« Reply #266 on: June 26, 2014, 10:07:49 PM »
Why is he without options?  Why is there this assumption that these kids are complete nice persons who cannot become function and successful adults if they can't play basketball?

Not "these" kids. THIS kid.

« Reply #267 on: June 26, 2014, 10:47:06 PM »

Does Jakarr have a mental defect that the rest of us don't know about?

Poison

« Reply #268 on: June 26, 2014, 11:26:51 PM »

No. Just a low basketball IQ. One of the lowest I've seen at St.John's.

LoganK

« Reply #269 on: June 26, 2014, 11:47:28 PM »

I have several friends with low basketball IQs (and a few with low IQs in general) who make very good livings.

« Reply #270 on: June 27, 2014, 12:20:38 AM »

I have several friends with low basketball IQs (and a few with low IQs in general) who make very good livings.

Exactly. Not sure what Bball IQ has to do with success outside of basketball. In interviews and what I know about Jakarr, he's a good kid who has a good head on his shoulders. Obviously you're bitter he left SJU, but that was his decision, we have to accept it and support a guy who represented SJU well. He is in good shape going forward even without getting drafted.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:23:44 AM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #271 on: June 27, 2014, 03:33:29 AM »
Between his ties to SJU Alums in the NBA and other walks of life, Lavs and his connections and Lebron he will get his chance to catch on somewhere either here or overseas. Not gonna lose to much sleep over what Jakarr will be earning at 27 yrs old but i do wish him lots of success wherever he lands.

Poison

« Reply #272 on: June 27, 2014, 07:33:08 AM »
Jakarr went undrafted. There must be some mistake?

« Reply #273 on: June 27, 2014, 10:09:37 AM »
Kid played hard and just didn't want to be in school anymore. Whether it was to play basketball overseas( if Geno could get paid to play, someone in some country will pay Jakar!), get a "real job" or just wander the Earth like the dude from Kung Fu, good luck to him. Poison is just bitter he left here, he does this to everyone who leaves early.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:10:33 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #274 on: June 27, 2014, 10:18:56 AM »
The NBA draft is really just one and a half rounds now anyway. Half the 2nd round used to stash foreign players who averaged 5 points a game in some European league that only Fran Fraschilla has ever heard of.

Poison

« Reply #275 on: June 27, 2014, 10:25:01 AM »
Kid played hard and just didn't want to be in school anymore. Whether it was to play basketball overseas( if Geno could get paid to play, someone in some country will pay Jakar!), get a "real job" or just wander the Earth like the dude from Kung Fu, good luck to him. Poison is just bitter he left here, he does this to everyone who leaves early.

Actually, no. I'm not bitter he left here. I'm bitter that this kid thinks he's better off playing in Malaysia than staying in school, getting better at basketball and getting his degree. Many of you think a bachelors degree doesn't mean much anymore. How valuable do you think a college dropout is to any employer?

Jakarr was invited to the 76ers summer league. Let's see how he does.

« Reply #276 on: June 27, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »

Actually, no. I'm not bitter he left here. I'm bitter that this kid thinks he's better off playing in Malaysia than staying in school, getting better at basketball and getting his degree. Many of you think a bachelors degree doesn't mean much anymore. How valuable do you think a college dropout is to any employer?

I am sure Jakar and his people have a better understanding of his situation than anyone on this board. If he was happy here, going to school or both I am sure he would have stayed. Good luck!

« Reply #277 on: June 27, 2014, 11:18:48 AM »

To your point of bachelor degrees, they do still hold value in my opinion, but the value is entirely based on your profession. In my profession, bachelor degree will get you your first job, after that, experience trumps all. I am a software developer.

Poison

« Reply #278 on: June 27, 2014, 11:18:49 AM »

I am sure Jakar and his people have a better understanding of his situation than anyone on this board. If he was happy here, going to school or both I am sure he would have stayed. Good luck!

Just like Erick Barkley's people and Omar Cook's people did for them.

« Reply #279 on: June 27, 2014, 11:19:49 AM »

Just like Erick Barkley's people and Omar Cook's people did for them.

The same that Maurice Harkless' and Ron Artest's did for them.