JaKarr chatter on Twitter

• 308 replies

QuanMan

Re: JaKarr chatter on Twitter
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2014, 07:56:13 PM »
Everyone else his age is graduating college this year, if he stayed all 4 years he would've been a 23 year old prospect? Go get em Jak.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2014, 07:58:07 PM »
If he believes that spending his entire waking life training to become better basketball player, working with professional coaches without NCAA restrictions and class to worry about, isn't it better to better for development to go to the D-League or to Europe?  Oh, and he can get paid while doing it.  I completely understand and probably would do the same thing. 

We will be bad next year.
Don't guys in the D League make about 40 k per year on average (outside of the dropped down 2nd rounders with guaranteed money)?
And how many D league players ever become regulars in the NBA?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 07:59:40 PM by 96 Schermerhorn Street »

« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2014, 08:02:21 PM »
Can't say I blame him but it sucks for us.

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2014, 08:13:22 PM »
Personally, I think this is the one loss we can absorb for next year. Don't think much of him as a player. Good kid, was impressed he stuck with us after the RISE incident but as a player, not my type at all.

Lavin was having a difficult enough time replacing bench players (i.e. Orlando Sanchez and God's Gift).  How the hell is he going to replace his one scoring threat down low?  As it stands right now, St. John's is losing 60 minutes per game of front court play.  If the rumors are true about Chris Obekpa leaving, jump that up to 80.

And Steve does not have one player signed up yet for 2014.  Sounds like he has his perfect built in excuse for why he can't make the NCAA Tournament next year.

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2014, 08:14:22 PM »
wouldnt be surprised if we had a significant player transfer too.

Outside of Obekpa I wouldn't see anyone transferring their senior year.

Dave,
Not a big deal but I did hear a couple weeks back that a good portion of the players don't particularly like Lavin. Now that is not earth shattering, players disliking a coach, but I always figured Lavin was basically a players coach. Have you heard that and if so did this have any impact on Sampson's crazy decision?

TONYD3

« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2014, 08:14:24 PM »
we are cursed

« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2014, 08:35:01 PM »
Best of luck to Sampson.  I don't think it is the right move or a smart one, but I hope it works out well for him.

« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2014, 08:37:21 PM »
What a disaster.

« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2014, 08:38:11 PM »
The more I think about it, the more it seems like it might be the right move for him.  I mean if he puts up the same/similar numbers next year and is one year older, its doubtful he goes much higher than he would now. He could certainly benefit from a weaker draft, but its equally as risky as leaving now I think.

On the other hand, he could also come back stronger, refine his 3pt game and commit himself to getting rebounds (which he never really seemed to do) and really improve his stock.

He has NBA athleticism for sure, here's hoping that translates into a nice career for him.

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2014, 08:38:44 PM »

Dave,
Not a big deal but I did hear a couple weeks back that a good portion of the players don't particularly like Lavin. Now that is not earth shattering, players disliking a coach, but I always figured Lavin was basically a players coach. Have you heard that and if so did this have any impact on Sampson's crazy decision?

I haven't been to close to the pulse of the program this year. I started up my own company in Nov and I really haven't had much time to dedicate to sju this year.

I think the problem with this team is there is no mix of upper and under classmen. It's a cluster of guys who came in at the same time, no real leader. Lots of entitlement.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2014, 08:42:21 PM »

Dave,

I haven't been to close to the pulse of the program this year. I started up my own company in Nov and I really haven't had much time to dedicate to sju this year.

I think the problem with this team is there is no mix of upper and under classmen. It's a cluster of guys who came in at the same time, no real leader. Lots of entitlement.

What I was told is that Harrison is liked by his teammates and he doesn't particularly like coaching staff. Again not shocking but like I said forget about what you might think of his coaching I always thought of Lavin as a players coach.

« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2014, 08:54:10 PM »

Dave,

What I was told is that Harrison is liked by his teammates and he doesn't particularly like coaching staff. Again not shocking but like I said forget about what you might think of his coaching I always thought of Lavin as a players coach.

Harrison is wild stallion. Don't think there is any love lost between him or coaches.

« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2014, 08:55:13 PM »

Dave,

Harrison is wild stallion. Don't think there is any love lost between him or coaches.

But what I was told is that he is close with the players including Jordan

« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2014, 08:57:37 PM »

Dave,

Not to toot my own horn, but that's what I've been saying as well. That's the hardest part about the whole rebuilding process, even though we have good players, there isn't a good balance. Problem is I bet Sheed is gone in two years, so who is going to be the leader after that?

« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2014, 09:00:19 PM »

Dave,

Not to toot my own horn, but that's what I've been saying as well. That's the hardest part about the whole rebuilding process, even though we have good players, there isn't a good balance. Problem is I bet Sheed is gone in two years, so who is going to be the leader after that?

If Jordan is still here in 2years we should have a parade. Heck if he is here next year we should consider our self lucky. Jordan and Harrison should be able to sneak into the NCAA even if Flag Boy might have to play center

« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2014, 09:02:40 PM »
Seriously we must be the only team in America that gets one and two and done and can't sniff a tourney. Harkless now Sampson. If Jordan stays it is no lock we make tourney next year and then he could go. This Lavin blue print is not working.

ForeverYoung

• king and the pawn end up in the same box
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2014, 09:04:29 PM »
Isn't this a good thing for all the guys that want Lavin gone?

ForeverYoung, where are the top 50 recruits you said were coming?

they are coming hold your horses. 

« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2014, 09:05:47 PM »
Tough even for Sheed being the only player in his class. Saw the same thing with Polee.

Also tough to think about what if Lavin landed Kyle Anderson and Rico Gathers. That changed the tide.

« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2014, 09:08:44 PM »
Kyle Anderson would have been amazing on this year's team....

« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2014, 09:09:02 PM »
Tough even for Sheed being the only player in his class. Saw the same thing with Polee.

Also tough to think about what if Lavin landed Kyle Anderson and Rico Gathers. That changed the tide.

I liked Polee. He had nice stroke and was better than both Dom and Garrett turned out to be. An athlete that can knock down a shot