Dwayne Polee Jr. - PF - Los Angeles, CA - Westchester Senior HS - ST. JOHN'S

• 152 replies

gonzalo

We were juniors last year, but if you watched either Marquette game, it was pretty hard to tell who had the veterans, and who had the rookies.

Bad comparison.

Marquette had 6 players with more than 20 minutes per game. 3 seniors, 2 juniors and 1 sophomore.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/varsitytimesinsider/2010/07/boys-basketball-polee-could-be-headed-to-manual-arts.html

The best high school basketball player to come out of Los Angeles Manual Arts was Dwayne Polee, who scored 43 points in the 1981 City Section championship game.

Now Polee has become a top candidate for the vacant Manual Arts coaching position. It would be a great hire for a man who is still well regarded in the community and knows how to help teenagers succeed. His son, Dwayne Jr., recently graduated from Westchester and will be playing for St. John's.

He had been serving as director of basketball operations at USC.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

He cracked the top 100 finishing up at 90.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~rsci/RSCI_Final_2010.htm
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

Weak year for the Big East.

Only one Big East recruit in the top 15--Fab Melo of Syracuse.  He's a big man and I've read that he is extremely raw, so I doubt he makes that big of a difference this coming season.

The next highest ranked player is #28 and there are only four Big East recruits in the top 40.  I think this bodes extremely well for us both this year and four three years from now.  We somehow landed a top 100 forward who will most likely be able to hang with anyone in this Big East class.  We'll also more than likely have the best class next year (mostly due to sheer #'s) that shouldn't be held back as juniors by this weak class. 

Poison

Hopefully programs like Uconn are showing us the beginning of the end.

Syracuse will probably take a step back.
They have a nice class coming in, but there is too much to replace from last years team.

WV and Pitt look like the favorites right now. They always seem to replace whatever they've lost with ease.

pmg911

this is the only early poll I have seen for next year..

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=5179956

As for UConn, with little expectations on the team, I bet they surprise a lot of people.

Marillac

As for UConn, with little expectations on the team, I bet they surprise a lot of people.

They lost two dumb players:  Gavin Edwards and Stanley Robinson.  Robinson was a sensational talent, but he played like a bonehead more often than not.  Gavin Edwards made some of the most puzzling mistakes I've seen in a while. 

Dyson will hurt them, though.  I think Kemba is way too good to no be amazing as a junior.

They lost two dumb players:  Gavin Edwards and Stanley Robinson.  Robinson was a sensational talent, but he played like a bonehead more often than not.  Gavin Edwards made some of the most puzzling mistakes I've seen in a while. 

Dyson will hurt them, though.  I think Kemba is way too good to no be amazing as a junior.

I thought Gavin Edwards was one of the more heady and steady players on UConn.

Dont forgot, they got rid of those bad apples on the staff.

boo3

Kemba is over-rated IMO.  He doesn't make anyone around him better.  He's a talented, but he isn't a winner.

Kemba is over-rated IMO.  He doesn't make anyone around him better.  He's a talented, but he isn't a winner.

When has he gotten to run the show at UConn? He's deferred to a lot of people who I didn't think were "winners" I like Kemba though. He's competitive and prideful. I think he can have a Daryl "Showtime" Hill type year.

boo3

When has he gotten to run the show at UConn? He's deferred to a lot of people who I didn't think were "winners" I like Kemba though. He's competitive and prideful. I think he can have a Daryl "Showtime" Hill type year.

Dont forgot, they got rid of those bad apples on the staff.
They made Pat Sellers the scapegoat and added Ollie to help ensure that Drummond doesn't fly south.

Marillac

Not at all.  When it counted he was mistake after mistake.  I loved watching it because I hate Uconn, but I felt bad for the kid.  He looked like he lacked all confidence at times. 

Not at all.  When it counted he was mistake after mistake.  I loved watching it because I hate Uconn, but I felt bad for the kid.  He looked like he lacked all confidence at times. 

I just flat out disagree with you. He was a guy who came off the bench and shot nearly 60% from the floor and made 80% of his free throws. I'm not sure how that translates into being a dumb player if so I want some dumb players.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Edwards blocked shots, cut to the basket well, converted decently... I think the mistakes U Conn made were a team-wide lack of cohesion.  And a bit of Kemba, too.  Sometimes he looked like he didn't know how to run a team, careening into the lane when he should have been looking for passing opportunities... like the Huskies didn't want any long possessions. 

boo3

"I think he can have a Daryl "Showtime" Hill type year.'

meaning he'll score 25 a night and his team lose?    Kind of made my point for me.

Poison

What's most significant about last year's Uconn team was their obvious lack of effort. They lost to USF, by a lot. They lost to us.

This was a collection of punks. Uconn has always had punks, but these kids just weren't good enough to pull it off. They was no Rip on this team. No AJ Price.

Was coaching the main reason? Probably, but sometimes you just have bad apples-let's hope for the sake of all that is good in the world, that they continue to suffer next year, and every year after.

Polee going to start?