Jaren Sina - PG - Gill St. Bernard's School - Gladstone, NJ - SETON HALL

• 280 replies
The kid has not even asked for a release let alone has he been granted one and already we are demanding the staff pursue a kid who isn't even available the night after Lavin was in Philly watching a significantly better player who is available.  On top of that we have a full roster and will have Branch for a full year.

Agree, just reacting to folks who nit pick about this kid's game. Like his dad, he is a smart, hard working winner IMO.

Very simply here is my opinion:

1) He has not gotten a release so we are commenting on a kid who is not even available and

2) SJU has 1 at the most if any scholarships for next year and Lavs wants a difference maker and this kid is not a difference maker.  He would not be the difference between SJU being really good or not next year IMHO.

Feel free to debate that.  Fair?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 03:37:58 PM by fordham96 »

paultzman

The kid has not even asked for a release let alone has he been granted one and already we are demanding the staff pursue a kid who isn't even available the night after Lavin was in Philly watching a significantly better player who is available.  On top of that we have a full roster and will have Branch for a full year.

Agree, just reacting to folks who nit pick about this kid's game. Like his dad, he is a smart, hard working winner IMO.

1) He has not gotten a release so we are commenting on a kid who is not even available and

2) SJU has 1 at the most if any scholarships for next year and Lavs wants a difference maker and this kid is not a difference maker.  He would not be the difference between SJU being really good or not next year IMHO.

For the second time, I never implied we should go after him. Additionally, I know he has not expressed a desire to leave. I was simply giving my opinion that he can play, contrary to some other folks' opinion. I don't think we need to debate this further. Thanks Fordham.

For the second time, I never implied we should go after him. Additionally, I know he has not expressed a desire to leave. I was simply giving my opinion that he can play, contrary to some other folks' opinion. I don't think we need to debate this further. Thanks Fordham.

My post wasn't necessarily directed ONLY at you.  You were only part of it.  I was merely just surmising everything from what EVERYONE was stating on Sina.

paultzman

My post wasn't necessarily directed ONLY at you.  You were only part of it.  I was merely just surmising everything from what EVERYONE was stating on Sina.

ok

He hasn't played well for the past year. Stock has dropped off in a lot of people's eyes and his game didn't really mature much since his sophomore year (when he committed to Alabama) however the fact remains he can shoot. I was surprised when an SEC coach contacted me today inquiring about Sina. His recruitment will go one of two ways.

1. High major will reach for him because he's pretty talented to still be available in the spring.
2. He will go to a smaller school and dominate ala Steph Curry at Davidson.

Also my darkhorse theory is if Fred Hill gets the FDU job he might lure Sina with him. Fred Hill initially recruited Sina at Rutgers and got him to go to North Western. Big time relationship. Also my initial thoughts on him going to Seton Hall might not be the case as I heard there is disconnect between father and Willard.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

He hasn't played well for the past year. Stock has dropped off in a lot of people's eyes and his game didn't really mature much since his sophomore year (when he committed to Alabama) however the fact remains he can shoot. I was surprised when an SEC coach contacted me today inquiring about Sina. His recruitment will go one of two ways.

1. High major will reach for him because he's pretty talented to still be available in the spring.
2. He will go to a smaller school and dominate ala Steph Curry at Davidson.

Also my darkhorse theory is if Fred Hill gets the FDU job he might lure Sina with him. Fred Hill initially recruited Sina at Rutgers and got him to go to North Western. Big time relationship. Also my initial thoughts on him going to Seton Hall might not be the case as I heard there is disconnect between father and Willard.

Thanks Dave
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

Zags source has been revealed, Ha!

“@AdamZagoria: Bill Carmody fired at Northwestern means Jaren Sina could open it up and Freddie Hill is again looking for work...FDU maybe?”

Happy

“@AdamZagoria: Bill Carmody fired at Northwestern means Jaren Sina could open it up and Freddie Hill is again looking for work...FDU maybe?”

If those are the whispers going around I can understand.... But no possible way Dave and Zags could be having that same independent thought.

If those are the whispers going around I can understand.... But no possible way Dave and Zags could be having that same independent thought.

That was my independent thought and like I said a farfetched one at that. The only place I mentioned that was on here. It is possible Zags thought of it too.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

gman

That was my independent thought and like I said a farfetched one at that. The only place I mentioned that was on here. It is possible Zags thought of it too.

Or he reads the board because of all the very intelligent posters here!

paultzman

Or he reads the board because of all the very intelligent posters here!

On the mark Gman! Ha!

LJSA

If he's looking at a non-high major, dad went to Rhode Island, right? And there is a Jersey connection in place.

Also, if we miss on Jordan, Sina doesn't have to be as good as or better than Rysheed to help us; he only needs to be able to direct an offense better than Greene.

I would say it's possible that there may be an open scholarship -- some guys don't like to be repeatedly yanked out of the game before they've even had the chance to get going. Or worse still, not even inserted when the situation would seem to call for his particular skill set.

If he's looking at a non-high major, dad went to Rhode Island, right? And there is a Jersey connection in place.

Also, if we miss on Jordan, Sina doesn't have to be as good as or better than Rysheed to help us; he only needs to be able to direct an offense better than Greene.

I would say it's possible that there may be an open scholarship -- some guys don't like to be repeatedly yanked out of the game before they've even had the chance to get going. Or worse still, not even inserted when the situation would seem to call for his particular skill set.

I did not say a recruit has to be better then Jordan but for this year with the limited space Coach is only looking for someone who can make a major difference now.  If SJU was putting together a 5-6 man class then perhaps he is worth it.

And he is not better then Greene either right now or in high school.

LJSA

I did not say a recruit has to be better then Jordan but for this year with the limited space Coach is only looking for someone who can make a major difference now.  If SJU was putting together a 5-6 man class then perhaps he is worth it.

People here bitch all the time that all Greene does is dribble in a circle. If Sina can avoid doing that, it would seem that he becomes a better backup point guard than Greene and allows Phil to move to SG. That is my point.

I know Lavin is only looking for a major difference maker, but signing no one isn't making any difference, much less a major one. I'm all for improving any way we can. If signing a Sina or Sina type improves us even a small amount, then I'm happy.

Poison

People here bitch all the time that all Greene does is dribble in a circle. If Sina can avoid doing that, it would seem that he becomes a better backup point guard than Greene and allows Phil to move to SG. That is my point.

I know Lavin is only looking for a major difference maker, but signing no one isn't making any difference, much less a major one. I'm all for improving any way we can. If signing a Sina or Sina type improves us even a small amount, then I'm happy.

Greene does more than dribble around in a circle. Sometimes he does a figure 8.

pmg911

Fred Hill is a bad guy and was under cutting the coach @ FDU all season while angling for the job. Highly doubt he gets it anyway...

Jaren Sina is not going to FDU.
There is no disconnect between Sina & the SHU staff.

As I said in another thread...   hiring Chris Collins might be the only way the kid sticks to the Northwestern commitment, if Collins even wants him.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 10:42:35 AM by pmg911 »

Adam Zagoria
@AdamZagoria
Northwestern AD Jim Phillips is flying in today to meet w/ commit Jaren Sina to talk about the program after Bill Carmody was fired

Adam Zagoria
@AdamZagoria
Northwestern AD Jim Phillips is flying in today to meet w/ commit Jaren Sina to talk about the program after Bill Carmody was fired

Real simple conversation:

1) Here is why we dismissed Bill Carmody...

2) All we ask is that you be patient and wait for us to name the new head coach, then meet the new coach and if you still want to be released we will be accomodating.

paultzman

“@NJHoopsHaven: Northwestern has told Jaren Sina it will release him from his NLI. He will re-open but still consider Northwestern pending its new hire.”

Moose

Full court press if it was me.  I prefer the stability of a 4 yr guy and potentially our version of Archipoddamus to Jordan.
Remember who broke the Slice news