Jaren Sina - PG - Gill St. Bernard's School - Gladstone, NJ - SETON HALL

• 280 replies

boo3

I went back and re read the thread.   I stand corrected.  Don't want to attribute something to people that they didn't say.   My bad. 

Sign him up. 

Moose

I went back and re read the thread.   I stand corrected.  Don't want to attribute something to people that they didn't say.   My bad. 

Sign him up. 

Don't worry, we're not considering him :)  He shoots too good :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

boo3

If you had your pick ....

Sina or Severe?

Moose

If you had your pick ....

Sina or Severe?

Sina

paultzman

Interesting JJ commentary a couple of years ago;

http://johnnyjungle.com/recruiting/have-you-sina/

ras

Interesting JJ commentary a couple of years ago;

http://johnnyjungle.com/recruiting/have-you-sina/
I remember that article well, catchy title, thats why I was surprised when Dave said we werent interested.

“@AdamZagoria: St. John's is not involved with PG Jaren Sina, hia father tells @SNYtv. Johnnies focused on @sheedjordan for 2013”

Maybe Lavin is confident in getting Jordan

pmg911

I was not a fan of Jaren's game earier in his high school career. I thought if he didn't grow he would face difficulties. I was wrong. His team has been playing a solid schedule since his Sophomore year and he pumped in over 2,000 points in high school.

While he is not as big as his Dad, Mergin is 6'5 - 6'6...  he is not small and he does everything well...    he will need to get stronger but he is going to be a solid 4 year player in college...

gman

Well I give up.

If you want 4 year kids the 14 and 15 classes will provide opportunities.

I want to win big and have superior talent.  MCW stays 2 years but you get Ennis. 

Hey we each have opinions and favorites.  I don't think Jordan wants to be in college for very long.  Great talent but joining an already crowded backcourt he's going to want his shots out of the gate.

How long is not too long, 2 years?

Would you take Mudiay?  That kid is 1 and done definitely.

Yeah I'd take Mudiay but he's on another level from Jordan to me.  Jordan isn't an McDonalds AA.  Mudiay is.  Hardly the end all be all factor but it drives home my point.

I want to build a roster.  I just don't want to grab these kids just to grab these kids because they are athletic freaks.  Give me some smarter players on the court.  I want to build a team.

Jordan is a 5 star kid and can start immediately. 

But here is my my point.  SJU has Greene, Jones, Balamou, Branch and JUCOs.  There is no evidence to suggest just because Lavin pursues Jordan over Sina that somehow he is sacrificing the future for now.  First off Jordan is not a 1 and done.  Which means he is at least a 2 year player.  Everyone is using the premise that pursuing Jordan over Sina assumes that is what Lavin wants to do.    That IMHO is a false premise.  Lavin is pursuing Jordan for the same reason Temple and UCLA are because he is an immediate impact player. And I like that philosophy.

Not against Sina other then he is very limited sans as a good shooter.  He doesn't make them better next year and there are plenty of Sina's in 14 and 15.  There aren't plenty of Jordan's.

If I was a parent of an athlete I wouldn't let him sign an loi that didn't have an out clause if the coach isn't there anymore

St. John's style of play isn't good for Sina. Sina would benefit from a more structured half court offense and allowing him to come off staggers. It's not as simple as St. John's needs shooters and Sina is a shooter.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

St. John's style of play isn't good for Sina. Sina would benefit from a more structured half court offense and allowing him to come off staggers. It's not as simple as St. John's needs shooters and Sina is a shooter.

What are you talking about?
We have a half court offense?

:)

It should be that simple but we don't have a system. Everything we do is one on one with a ball screen. I'm hoping we get away from that a little and start running some more off the ball screens to set up shooters.

Maybe I'm just not smart enough (and, really, I'm not that smart---especially when it comes to basketball) but if the kid knows how to get open, and he is a good shooter, then why can't he play for us.  He may not be the guy going above the rim to finish the break with a slam, but I'm sure we can get him open for the shot.  Also, we need a good ball handler.  I like Branch, and think he will be a good pg for us, but we need someone to back him up

One of the faults I find with Marco is that he doesn't know how to get open (at least not yet).  People are always saying that he is open and Phil is ignoring him, but to me, too many times, he is standing still looking for the pass.  And when he does get the pass, the defender has time to defend the shot.  Marco is, as a result, rushing the shot.  I think that will improve next year, as he adjusts to the speed of the game at this level.

As I said in an earlier post, I love kids who are son's of coaches.  Look at a McDermott or McCallum.  They start out with an advantage.  Maybe Jaren should change his last name to McSina.

paultzman

Maybe I'm just not smart enough (and, really, I'm not that smart---especially when it comes to basketball) but if the kid knows how to get open, and he is a good shooter, then why can't he play for us.  He may not be the guy going above the rim to finish the break with a slam, but I'm sure we can get him open for the shot.  Also, we need a good ball handler.  I like Branch, and think he will be a good pg for us, but we need someone to back him up

One of the faults I find with Marco is that he doesn't know how to get open (at least not yet).  People are always saying that he is open and Phil is ignoring him, but to me, too many times, he is standing still looking for the pass.  And when he does get the pass, the defender has time to defend the shot.  Marco is, as a result, rushing the shot.  I think that will improve next year, as he adjusts to the speed of the game at this level.

As I said in an earlier post, I love kids who are son's of coaches.  Look at a McDermott or McCallum.  They start out with an advantage.  Maybe Jaren should change his last name to McSina.

You're smart enough, good points.

It should be that simple but we don't have a system. Everything we do is one on one with a ball screen. I'm hoping we get away from that a little and start running some more off the ball screens to set up shooters.

I agree 100%.  We set the screen for the guy with the ball but we don't do anything after that.  There is no roll following the pick; the ball handler doesn't get open for a shot; and we are forced to just run perpetual screens with no end result.

We should be setting screens off the ball and get shooters open.  Of course, that means we need guys to move without the ball and we need them to hit shots when they get open.

MCNPA

Listen, if Lavin thinks we can land Jordan, then by all means its worth it.  He's better than Sina.  I have no problem with that.  With Howland seemingly not safe lately, it makes me think we still have a decent shot. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Sina looked at some of the new Big East members like Butler, Creighton or Xavier.  All will be looking to upgrade their talent and they might be a good fit.

paultzman

A less than objective source but;

“@SOrangeJuice: Hearing Seton Hall is in very good shape with 2013 G Jaren Sina (Gill St. Bernards, NJ), who recently received release from NW. #shbb”

“@SOrangeJuice: Other than Seton Hall, I've been told that Northwestern, Alabama, Clemson and Rutgers will also be part of his, "trimmed" list. #shbb”

LJSA

A less than objective source but;

“@SOrangeJuice: Hearing Seton Hall is in very good shape with 2013 G Jaren Sina (Gill St. Bernards, NJ), who recently received release from NW. #shbb”

“@SOrangeJuice: Other than Seton Hall, I've been told that Northwestern, Alabama, Clemson and Rutgers will also be part of his, "trimmed" list. #shbb”

Weird list of schools that you usually don't see grouped together. I agree with MCNPA -- he should at the very least check out Xavier.

Poison

We probably haven't shown interest, but I love what I've seen of this kid. I especially love that some on this board think that he wouldn't fit in here. So, I guess maybe he's not another brick-laying super-athlete who can't hit a free throw.

In any sport there are talented guys who aren't good fits in some styles. In football a very talented cornerback might be better suited to play press man than zone. If you play him zone he won't be as good as if he played press man despite being very good player.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle