Joe Uchebo - C - Chipola JC - Raleigh, NC - PITTSBURGH

• 116 replies

Marillac

Re: Joe Uchebo - C - Chipola JC(FL)
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 08:59:14 PM »
So if this kid comes does Hooper pay his own way or gift to Harvard.

Maybe Gift or someone else leaves.

Really don't want anyone else to leave, really hurt seeing Amir go , I though as an upper classmen he's find his niche

I agree.  I seem to be his biggest fan, but it really was in his best interest to go.  I see a ton of three-guard sets now with this monster backcourt and Lavin obviously prefers Dom over him.

desco80

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 09:15:52 PM »
I liked Amir a lot too.   He wasn't our best player, but for whatever reason he was a guy it was very easy to root for.   

I don't dislike Jones or Gift either, but in my mind one of them is probably going to announce they're transferring soon.   And I know some other posters expect it as well.   It's not a bad thing.

If we sign this guy as a replacement Lavin will have truly put together (on paper at least) a very well rounded team for the next few years.   The scholarships will be balanced, we'll have depth at most positions.  And most importantly we'll be able to survive a loss here or there if anyone unexpectedly goes pro, gets hurt, or transfers.

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 09:17:19 PM »
Is their room for him here though as far as playing time? Sanchez & Obekpa would seem to have the center position locked up

paultzman

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 09:18:17 PM »
I liked Amir a lot too.   He wasn't our best player, but for whatever reason he was a guy it was very easy to root for.   

I don't dislike Jones or Gift either, but in my mind one of them is probably going to announce they're transferring soon.   And I know some other posters expect it as well.   It's not a bad thing.

If we sign this guy as a replacement Lavin will have truly put together (on paper at least) a very well rounded team for the next few years.   The scholarships will be balanced, we'll have depth at most positions.  And most importantly we'll be able to survive a loss here or there if anyone unexpectedly goes pro, gets hurt, or transfers.

Agree

mkras99

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 09:23:34 PM »
Other than a tweet by some "recruiting guru" do we know for a fact we're recruiting this guy?

Poison

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 09:27:19 PM »
Is their room for him here though as far as playing time? Sanchez & Obekpa would seem to have the center position locked up

There would be room if Gift didn't return.

paultzman

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 09:27:54 PM »
Other than a tweet by some "recruiting guru" do we know for a fact we're recruiting this guy?

No

Moose

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 09:39:52 PM »

Why don't you believe him?
Remember who broke the Slice news

mkras99

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2013, 09:43:03 PM »

Why don't you believe him?

Just looking for corroboration.

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2013, 09:45:30 PM »

Amir worked hard and gave his all to the team. He supported the team through thick and thin (and there was a lot of thin in his time here). Im wishing Amir the utmost.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 09:46:19 PM by Save The Hero »

desco80

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2013, 09:46:56 PM »
The recruiting guy could be full of bs, or this kid could just be name-dropping schools.
But even if it's not Uchebo, it makes sense that the staff is looking at JUCO big men.

Just look at our situation; Sanchez and Gift (if he's here) are both gone after this season.   Probably a better than 50/50 chance that Sampson is as well.    That leaves Obekpa and Jones(if here) as the only center and power forward on the team.   
So one way or another we need some front court players after next season. 

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2013, 09:47:29 PM »
With all due respect to Amir (and I love him), it wasn't merely Lavin preferring Dom as to why one played more than the other (if that was the implication, not saying it was).  Even the biggest Amir lover would acknowledge that Dom was, by a far, a superior player this year, and that the progression as between the two players between their freshman and sophomore year is not even close.  Perhaps it is because Amir was playing baseball this summer (where his prof'l future lies, IMO), or because Dom simply started to grow into the player that was ranked much higher coming into their freshman years.

desco80

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »

Amir worked hard and gave his all to the team. He supported the team through thick and thin (and there was a lot of thin in his time here). Im wishing Amir the utmost.

Completely agree.  So am I.   It gets overlooked that we gave Amir some pretty shitty assignments at times; he was asked to guard Jack Cooley, Melvin, and other teams' bigs because we really didn't have anyone else who could.
And he gave us pretty good defensive efforts, even though he was over-matched and outsized.   
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 09:50:36 PM by desco80 »

TONYD3

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2013, 09:50:09 PM »
I like Garret, but he is a wing player who can't dribble or shoot

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2013, 09:50:32 PM »
With all due respect to Amir (and I love him), it wasn't merely Lavin preferring Dom as to why one played more than the other (if that was the implication, not saying it was).  Even the biggest Amir lover would acknowledge that Dom was, by a far, a superior player this year, and that the progression as between the two players between their freshman and sophomore year is not even close.  Perhaps it is because Amir was playing baseball this summer (where his prof'l future lies, IMO), or because Dom simply started to grow into the player that was ranked much higher coming into their freshman years.

100% agree. He really should go baseball route though. tailing mid 90s fastball and being a lefty = big money and lots of chances in baseball.

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2013, 09:52:47 PM »
Keith Law, who some may know as ESPN's resident scouting/minor league/draft guru, said in his chat last week that he projects Amir as a valuable lefty reliever in the big leagues, at worst.  And those guys stay around FOREVER (Darren Oliver anyone?), and make themselves a great living doing so.

Marillac

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2013, 11:10:12 PM »

And if we are even involved, then to what extent? 

If we are involved, I dont think this has to with GG leaving.  This kid's availability for the 2013-2014 season has been known since before Lavin decided to redshirt GG. 

I would be disappointed if we lost a fifth-year senior like GG.  He knows the system, he's logged major minutes playing with the roster, and he runs the court exceptionally well. 

paultzman

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2013, 07:17:32 AM »
Heard from Brad Winton, JUCO recruiting guru,that to his knowledge, SJU not recruiting Uchebo.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 09:10:39 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »

And if we are even involved, then to what extent? 

If we are involved, I dont think this has to with GG leaving.  This kid's availability for the 2013-2014 season has been known since before Lavin decided to redshirt GG. 

I would be disappointed if we lost a fifth-year senior like GG.  He knows the system, he's logged major minutes playing with the roster, and he runs the court exceptionally well. 
i agree.  i'm looking for god's gift to have a breakout year.  no transfers, please!!

mkras99

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2013, 10:08:34 AM »
Brad Winton ‏@JucoRecruiting 1m
Joseph Uchebo (6-11/C/2013) of Chipola is visiting Pitt this weekend. Kansas St. & Oklahoma St. have inquired, but no offer/visit yet