Joe Uchebo - C - Chipola JC - Raleigh, NC - PITTSBURGH

• 116 replies

Poison

Re: Joe Uchebo - C - Chipola JC(FL)
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2013, 02:37:26 PM »
If its gift or jones, I'd much rather jones stick around.  Gift is looking at 10 mpg or less and is gone after this year.  I'd sign up for jones and uchebo right now

Jones isn't going anywhere. He isn't even mentioned as a kid who would leave. I think he has a ton of potential. He's a freshman, and he played about as much as a freshman should play.

I've read posters talking about Jones and Balamou transferring. Our program needs to take more responsibility for who it recruits. Norm pulled that crap. But he was a disease. Those days are over now.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 02:42:37 PM by Poison »

ras

« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2013, 03:25:47 PM »
We could use Jones as a jr. w Sanchez and Sampson leaving.

Poison

« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2013, 03:46:09 PM »

Sampson is very talented, but he has a long way to go to be NBA ready. He may not be ready after 2013-2014. God forbid he actually stays in college.

« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2013, 04:25:06 PM »

Sampson is very talented, but he has a long way to go to be NBA ready. He may not be ready after 2013-2014. God forbid he actually stays in college.
Agree. But, kids today.  :)

« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2013, 11:42:12 AM »

ras bringin the wisdom.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2013, 02:35:37 PM »
Sampson is not leaving unless he gets a shot.

Marillac

« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2013, 02:51:29 PM »
If its gift or jones, I'd much rather jones stick around.  Gift is looking at 10 mpg or less and is gone after this year.  I'd sign up for jones and uchebo right now
He's a freshman, and he played about as much as a freshman should play. 

How could you say that when Sampson and Obekpa were exponentially better?  Christian Jones played a 5th year prep before STJ...GG only played two years of low JUCO ball himself but averaged 9 points and around six boards a game, and Gift looked much better.

Uchebo coming here would make Jones' already small role even smaller.  Sampson is far from a lock for leaving next season.  As athletic as he is, he hasn't shown that he can play on the perimeter offensively or defensively.  Add in the absurd recruiting class that will be draft elgible next year (9 projected first round picks), and it doesn't look very promising for Mr. Sampson. 

desco80

« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2013, 03:06:34 PM »

How could you say that when Sampson and Obekpa were exponentially better?  Christian Jones played a 5th year prep before STJ...GG only played two years of low JUCO ball himself but averaged 9 points and around six boards a game, and Gift looked much better.

Uchebo coming here would make Jones' already small role even smaller.  Sampson is far from a lock for leaving next season.  As athletic as he is, he hasn't shown that he can play on the perimeter offensively or defensively.  Add in the absurd recruiting class that will be draft elgible next year (9 projected first round picks), and it doesn't look very promising for Mr. Sampson.

Gift averaged 30mins a game.   Jones played 9.   I have no doubt that given increased playing time he would've matched Gift's Junior year numbers.
I think it's entirely possible Jones transfers, cause HE may want to.
But, if he's here, there's a role for him to play in future seasons.  Even if Uchebo is here.    Uchebo and Obekpa aren't going to play 40 minutes each.   Nor would you probably want them on the court at the same time.   
There's a future for CJ at St Johns if he wants to wait his turn.   That's how I see it.

« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2013, 06:04:57 PM »

Gift averaged 30mins a game.   Jones played 9.   I have no doubt that given increased playing time he would've matched Gift's Junior year numbers.
But, if he's here, there's a role for him to play in future seasons.  Even if Uchebo is here.    Uchebo and Obekpa aren't going to play 40 minutes each.   Nor would you probably want them on the court at the same time.   
There's a future for CJ at St Johns if he wants to wait his turn.   That's how I see it.

uchebo and jones > gift in the big picture and possibly for next year, too.  i like gift but at best he's our 8th man for next year.

realistically, there isn't more than 15 total mins per game to go around next season for any combination of these guys.  both jones and uchebo have starter potential down the road when we might need a much bigger contribution from them.  if jones transfers and has to sit out a year, perhaps he can be convinced to stay knowing that 3 forwards are graduating next year and sampson might jump, too.

not sure this matters.  it's unclear that we are even recruiting uchebo right now.

ras

« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2013, 06:24:16 PM »
I still dont know why Jones would transfer. Its not like he was ranked that high out of HS , and he thinks he should have been a starter at a high major program as a FR or SO.. If he sticks around he should get nice minutes as a jr and improve next year.

Moose

« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2013, 06:26:30 PM »
I still dont know why Jones would transfer. Its not like he was ranked that high out of HS , and he thinks he should have been a starter at a high major program as a FR or SO.. If he sticks around he should get nice minutes as a jr and improve next year.

He did lose two close people to him from back home during the year.
Remember who broke the Slice news

crgreen

« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2013, 07:40:58 PM »

This is just plain silly.  Projected Pitt lotto pick  Steven Adams (7.2 pts, 6.3 rebs,  didn't exceed Gift's first year numbers. Lotto pick Andre Drummond barely did (10/7).  9/6 @ 53%FG in a Big East frontcourt doesn't grow on trees.

boo3

« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2013, 07:50:01 PM »
 Off the topic,  but count me into the group that likes what Gift brings and think he can be a real contributor off the bench. No way should he be run out of here..that notion is ludicrous.  He's been nothing short of an outstanding example of a student-athlete and representative of the University.

desco80

« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2013, 08:18:09 PM »

This is just plain silly.  Projected Pitt lotto pick  Steven Adams (7.2 pts, 6.3 rebs,  didn't exceed Gift's first year numbers. Lotto pick Andre Drummond barely did (10/7).  9/6 @ 53%FG in a Big East frontcourt doesn't grow on trees.

It's really not silly CR, what's silly is the conclusions you draw from Gift's numbers two seasons ago. 
First, yes, players like that do basically grow on trees.   Every team in the Big East except Rutgers had a 9/5 guy.  Many had multiple guys with those numbers.
Second, it has to be seen in context.  For Gift to have 5 rebounds a game for a team with no one one over 6'8, when he's playing 30 minutes, doesn't say much.   
Drummond played on a team with Alex Oriachi, Daniels, Olander, Wolf, Roscoe Smith etc etc  All these guys are long and can rebound etc. 
Gift and Moe were the only non-guards on the roster for most of the season.   Based purely on the number of available defensive rebounds it would be almost pathetic for him to play 30minutes and not average 5 rebounds.   
Furthermore, he's a center!  He didn't shoot outside of the lane; of course he has a high fg%.   Are Deandre Jordan and Tyson Chandler good shooters?  No, of course not.   You wouldn't even call them skilled-offensive-players necessarily, yet they lead the NBA in fg% because every basket they score is a putback or tip in. 
Same goes for Gift.

He was on a team with all guards (and Moe), he stood next to the hoop,  and he played a shit ton of minutes.  It is not at all surprising to me that he scored 9pts and 5 rebounds a game.  Nor is it that impressive.    And yes, I am absolutely, 100%, convinced that if given that opportunity Christian Jones could've done the same or better.   Gift is a nice player, but I really do think there are countless players who could've done what he did for us two years ago.  Including Sean Evans and Dele Coker fwiw.   And if you need anymore proof, you can look no further than the fact that coach Lavin didn't play him this year.   College coaches don't choose to not put a player on the court who they think can help them win.   Coach didn't 'save' Gift for next year.     
And if I'm wrong about that, you (and others) can have a field day.   But I'm not.   
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 08:22:44 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2013, 08:32:07 PM »
Are Deandre Jordan and Tyson Chandler good shooters?  No, of course not.   You wouldn't even call them skilled-offensive-players necessarily, yet they lead the NBA in fg% because every basket they score is a putback or tip in. 
Same goes for Gift.

So you're saying Gift is comparable to Tyson Chandler and Deandre Jordan.  I'll take that in a heartbeat.

desco80

« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2013, 08:47:48 PM »
Are Deandre Jordan and Tyson Chandler good shooters?  No, of course not.   You wouldn't even call them skilled-offensive-players necessarily, yet they lead the NBA in fg% because every basket they score is a putback or tip in. 
Same goes for Gift.

So you're saying Gift is comparable to Tyson Chandler and Deandre Jordan.  I'll take that in a heartbeat.

Haha, no red, I'm saying a center shooting above 50% isn't anything to brag about.  They stand next to the rim lol.
But my apologies to everybody for the rant above.    Wate of space, I know

Marillac

« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2013, 11:43:19 AM »

I agree that Jones has a future at STJ in two years.  I think we disagree, though, on the impact Jones could have had if given GG's minutes. 

Jones averaged only one rebound every NINE minutes.  If Jones' production stayed the same over 29.9 minutes (same as GG played last year), Jones would have averaged only 3.8 rebounds to go with 7.9 points compared to GG's averages of 5.8 boards and 9.4 points.  GG also shot 7% higher from the field and 30% higher from the line. 

Jones actually played 29 minutes (GG's exact average) against Detriot and managed only one (1) rebound.  The year before GG, who did play 38 minutes, snagged 8 rebounds against Detroit while playing alongside 6'8.5 first round pick, Moe Harkless, who secured 11 himself.  Gift's impact came after one year more of postgrad experience than Jones.

paultzman

« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2013, 05:48:55 PM »
Further indication we are not in the mix;

“@JucoRecruiting: Joseph Uchebo (6-11/C/2013) of Chipola is hearing from Pitt, Minnesota, NC State, OK State, USC & Middle Tennessee”

Moose

« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2013, 06:03:03 PM »

“@JucoRecruiting: Joseph Uchebo (6-11/C/2013) of Chipola is hearing from Pitt, Minnesota, NC State, OK State, USC & Middle Tennessee”

Well Lav said he was done for 2013.  And all signs point to Gift coming back.  So no need.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2013, 06:06:32 PM »

Well Lav said he was done for 2013.  And all signs point to Gift coming back.  So no need.

Fair point