Ishmail Wainwright - SF - Raytown South - Raytown, MO - BAYLOR

• 263 replies

MCNPA

Re: Ishmail Wainwright - SF - Raytown South - Raytown, MO
« Reply #180 on: September 27, 2012, 11:04:06 PM »
Oh this train is coming up, and it's Kansas City bound!
Everyone gets a ticket to hear the glory of His sound.

Choz seems enthusiastic about this one.  Gotta think he knows something we don't.  Sign him up!

MCNPA

« Reply #181 on: September 27, 2012, 11:07:11 PM »

« Reply #182 on: September 27, 2012, 11:27:07 PM »
I don't think Lavs will be happy till he's gotten a commit from a stud from every state. Lets see NY, Ill, Oh, Tx, Cal, Mich.... looking at Msri and penn throw in Nigeria, france and dom. rep. (overseas)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:43:03 AM by erickthered »

DFF6

« Reply #183 on: September 28, 2012, 09:04:47 AM »
Love that we are squarely in the mix for Wainwright after months of being totally out of it, but relative to the other three schools, anyone know or have a theory on which school represents our biggest competition?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 09:05:24 AM by DFF6 »

MCNPA

« Reply #184 on: September 28, 2012, 09:12:41 AM »
Love that we are squarely in the mix for Wainwright after months of being totally out of it, but relative to the other three schools, anyone know or have a theory on which school represents our biggest competition?

I doubt we were ever out of it at all.  Much like we were never out of it with Jakarr, Obekpa and others.  Just quiet assassins...

DFF6

« Reply #185 on: September 28, 2012, 09:39:12 AM »

I doubt we were ever out of it at all.  Much like we were never out of it with Jakarr, Obekpa and others.  Just quiet assassins...

You might be right.  Lavin's track record certainly can't be ignored, and I know the recruiting process can be a long and winding road with some of these kids.  That said, I would love Wainwright to come to STJ, but who knows whether his current "final four" school list won't change once again.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it did. 

« Reply #186 on: September 28, 2012, 10:00:39 AM »

I honestly believe that something completely unforseen would have to happen for him not to be a future Johnny.

MCNPA

« Reply #187 on: September 28, 2012, 10:35:52 AM »

I honestly believe that something completely unforseen would have to happen for him not to be a future Johnny.

Good to hear.  Another top 40 player if we do land him.  Lavin's a beast and SJU poised to be top of the league, whatever league for quite a while.

gman

« Reply #188 on: September 28, 2012, 12:07:29 PM »
Can anyone doubt Lavins recruiting ability?   

I think the biggest change for us fans is that it does seem like he flys under the radar and in today's day and age it's frustrating not to constantly hear us mentioned, but we keep sneaking up in the end.

MCNPA

« Reply #189 on: September 28, 2012, 12:16:29 PM »

I think the biggest change for us fans is that it does seem like he flys under the radar and in today's day and age it's frustrating not to constantly hear us mentioned, but we keep sneaking up in the end.

It's pretty crazy.  We don't really jump into the fray with tons of kids the way most teams do.  Lavin definitely casts his net in a smaller pond and always seems to be high percentage.  It's even crazier that if we somehow by chance lose out on all the kids we are currently recruiting(which we wont), I have no doubt we'd land excellent ones in the spring.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:17:34 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #190 on: September 28, 2012, 12:21:58 PM »
i know its been discussed before, but how many schollies do we have for next year?

I count 2:  GG and 1 open.

« Reply #191 on: September 28, 2012, 12:30:51 PM »
As of right now I believe it's just 1 which is GG's.

desco80

« Reply #192 on: September 28, 2012, 12:57:26 PM »
I gotta think that Earl Watson being from his hometown and sponsoring his AAU team is giving us a leg up in this race.
Now, who knows what the deciding factors will be for Ish, but having an NBA player tell you that this coach can get you to the league must give you confidence in that school.

On a side note would anyone here be shocked if Watson was on our staff in a few years?   Totally unrelated to this recruitment, but it seems he's stayed in touch with coach Lavin as much as any of his former players.   He was rumored before to be involved before Martin got the job, and I for one think that door may be open for him again in the near future.     He can still earn a few more big checks from the NBA, but after that ?

« Reply #193 on: September 28, 2012, 01:01:28 PM »

i thought Woods scholie offer was for this year too?

« Reply #194 on: September 28, 2012, 01:44:18 PM »

i thought Woods scholie offer was for this year too?

Christian Jones took Wood's.  Hooper eligible next year as well.

PS you know there's a scholarship distribution table on the main board, right?  http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=928.0

LJSA

« Reply #195 on: September 28, 2012, 04:19:31 PM »
I gotta think that Earl Watson being from his hometown and sponsoring his AAU team is giving us a leg up in this race.
Now, who knows what the deciding factors will be for Ish, but having an NBA player tell you that this coach can get you to the league must give you confidence in that school.

On a side note would anyone here be shocked if Watson was on our staff in a few years?   Totally unrelated to this recruitment, but it seems he's stayed in touch with coach Lavin as much as any of his former players.   He was rumored before to be involved before Martin got the job, and I for one think that door may be open for him again in the near future.     He can still earn a few more big checks from the NBA, but after that ?

He also plays for Stu Vetter, right? Rico's old coach. . .

crgreen

« Reply #196 on: September 28, 2012, 10:16:59 PM »

Well, yes....about 90% of the UCLA fan base.   :)  It's been a full decade now.   This exchange just appeared on a UCLA fan board.  The original poster is referring to the ESPN report last week on Coach Lavin being declared cancer free, and looking forward to the season.   The poster wrote:

"Great news for Lavin.  Looks like he's cancer-free and ready to start coaching again."

The post drew only one response from the Bruin Faithfull:    "What do you mean, "again"?

DFF6

« Reply #197 on: September 28, 2012, 10:23:12 PM »

Well, yes....about 90% of the UCLA fan base.   :)  It's been a full decade now.   This exchange just appeared on a UCLA fan board.  The original poster is referring to the ESPN report last week on Coach Lavin being declared cancer free, and looking forward to the season.   The poster wrote:

"Great news for Lavin.  Looks like he's cancer-free and ready to start coaching again."

The post drew only one response from the Bruin Faithfull:    "What do you mean, "again"?

Present company excluded, but a lot of Bruin fans seem to suck.

« Reply #198 on: September 28, 2012, 10:26:46 PM »

Present company excluded, but a lot of Bruin fans seem to suck.

+1. I don't understand the hatred towards him. He was pretty successful there until his last season.

MCNPA

« Reply #199 on: September 28, 2012, 10:38:39 PM »
Again, he's maybe the most hated coach out there that really never did anything wrong nor failed at his task.  Dozens of other fan bases think Lavin can't coach either thanks to the UCLA fans.  Truth is that it spread like wildfire back then.  I think that even I believed it.  I just finally realized that the numbers don't jive when trying to label him a horrible coach and failure.

This SJU job is the time for him to shine though.  I'm not saying he's the next Izzo when drawing up plays, but I don't think there are many coaches out there who have his recruiting prowess, charisma and understanding of how to GM a program.  He surrounds himself with great people because he knows they can help springboard him to the next level.

SJU a great job for him.  Good tradition, fan base, and a program desperate to get back to the upper tier in one of the most amazing cities in the world.  I will continue to thank UCLA fans for running him out of town, as we continue to rack up top 20-70 recruits and building a powerhouse.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 12:54:35 AM by MCNPA »