Ishmail Wainwright - SF - Raytown South - Raytown, MO - BAYLOR

• 263 replies
Re: Ishmail Wainwright - SF - Raytown South - Raytown, MO
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 10:44:03 AM »
To summarize the Rivals article, it sounds like Wainwright is a multi talented wing who loves to play D. Sounds like he did a great job shutting down Jabari Parker in the championship game. The biggest thing mentioned in the article is that Earl Watson was sitting courtside and is an alum of the KC 76ers. Seeing as how Earl will be working out at St. John's this summer and obviously likes Lavin, this was very exciting to hear.

Thanks, Vig!  I forgot Watson was a Kansas City native.  Even more interesting he's an alum of the KC 76ers.  Could be of aide down the road.     

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 11:04:51 AM »
Yup looks like Earl Watson connection.  Both Howland and Lavin were watching him in Vegas:

While the stands weren’t filled to brim as they were last summer (Oakland Soldiers tend to bring out the crowds), there were a few college programs represented in the coaches area with 2013 wing Ishmail Wainwright the primary focus.

Ben Howland (UCLA) and Steve Lavin (St. John’s) were both there to watch Wainwright, who considers Earl Watson (who has connections to both as he played at UCLA under Lavin) to be an older brother and mentor. Other programs represented include Western Illinois, George Mason, Kansas, Missouri, UC Irvine, South Florida, Cal Poly, Nebraska, UM-KC and Creighton.

Wainwright was unselfish, not forcing the issue offensively and looking to share the wealth when possible. He’s a very athletic wing with a long wingspan, which allows him to defend a number of positions on the floor, and he also displayed the ability to finish with contact. After the game he provided the following list: Kentucky, Missouri, Syracuse, Texas, Oklahoma State, St. John’s and UCLA.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011-0726/las-vegas-aau-day-4-notebook-wild-wild-west-in-vegas/

gonzalo

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 12:35:52 PM »
Having Garrett, Harkless, Pointer and Sampson, do we need another small forward?

Moose

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 01:08:48 PM »
Having Garrett, Harkless, Pointer and Sampson, do we need another small forward?

They will be juniors.  Odds are pretty good there will be a departure or two.
Remember who broke the Slice news

gonzalo

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 01:15:22 PM »

Yes, but with two available scholarships (from Stith and Achiuwa) I think that there are other positions where we have more necessities.

Moose

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 01:31:34 PM »

Yes, but with two available scholarships (from Stith and Achiuwa) I think that there are other positions where we have more necessities.

Throw in Nuri too if you want.  I don't see him staying 3 years.  Its great we are after all these great '13 and '14 players but there is just so much that can happen I can't focus much on needs beyond '12
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 03:25:47 PM »
his game reminds me of brownlee a little bit. seems like an undersized four that can put it on the floor from midrange and post ups and has a nack for finishing on the baseline.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 11:04:02 PM »
Per Jeff Borzello (CBS Sports)....

Ishmail Wainright, 2013, KC 76ers: Arguably the most impressive overall performer of the week, Wainright led his team to a surprising Fab 48 title. The muscular junior has always been a great defender and energy guy, but he carried the 76ers offensively, including getting the upper hand on Jabari Parker in a head-to-head battle.

http://eye-on-college-basketball-recruiting.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29884776/30877106

Marillac

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2011, 01:37:31 AM »

This is what I thought at first as well, but I bet we lose one of our wings by that time.  He's also a power player at the SF spot that can complement our run-and-gun athletes there.  I don't think we'll have too many holes come 2013.  This is the type of athlete you need to land so you can just reload and have kids ready to step when our big class graduates. 

It'd be great to be able to count on experienced returning players then like McCullough, Wainright, and Gathers. 

MCNPA

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 01:39:48 AM »

This is what I thought at first as well, but I bet we lose one of our wings by that time.  He's also a power player at the SF spot that can complement our run-and-gun athletes there.  I don't think we'll have too many holes come 2013.  This is the type of athlete you need to land so you can just reload and have kids ready to step when our big class graduates. 

It'd be great to be able to count on experienced returning players then like McCullough, Wainright, and Gathers. 

This kid could conceivably take Achiuwa's place as a PF, though not as a center which we certainly would need in that class.  Indeed the kid seems like too good of a player and talent to pass over if we can land him.  If he's outplaying one of the best forwards in the class, he's going to be rising fast ranking-wise.  Couple that with the fact that he'll likely be visiting when Earl Watson is on campus and it looks like we have an inside track.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 01:42:16 AM by MCNPA »

Marillac

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 02:34:22 AM »

This kid could conceivably take Achiuwa's place as a PF, though not as a center which we certainly would need in that class.  Indeed the kid seems like too good of a player and talent to pass over if we can land him.  If he's outplaying one of the best forwards in the class, he's going to be rising fast ranking-wise.  Couple that with the fact that he'll likely be visiting when Earl Watson is on campus and it looks like we have an inside track.

I agree.  Best available here.  If we have 6'10 Pelle, 6'7 Gathers, 6'8 Sampson, 6'8 Anderson able to play up front, I think we're fine.  Sampson's AAU coach said he could play some five if he had to, and Gathers looks more than strong enough to hold down the middle while the long, athletic wings come swatting from the zone. 

We were a shot away from the Final Four starting 6'7 and 6'7 up front with Artest and Grant.  We probably move on if Grant stays healthy.

Gotta strike while the iron is hot and Earl Watson being on campus gives us a great shot at this KC product that will surely be rising above his current #52 ranking. 

MCNPA

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2011, 08:42:16 AM »
It's pretty funny how we talk about needing "size" but we're actually a lot bigger than we have been in the past with some of our better teams.  At one point we had Glover as a 6'5" post player and we were advancing far.  Maryland did it with Lonnie Baxter.  I don't thin we need more than 1 or maybe 2 real post players on the roster to be effective.  Pelle, GG, sampson, Harkless and maybe gathers Anderson etc are all 6'7"+.  Don't thin size is a big issue with the way we want to play.

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2011, 01:17:47 PM »
We need to actually get Anderson & Gathers first

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2011, 02:35:42 PM »
Per ESPN Recruiting....

Featured matchup

Jabari Parker vs. Ishmail Wainright
In one of the more anticipated Fab 48 quarterfinal tilts, the ultratalented Mac Irvin Fire clashed with a hard-nosed KC 76ers squad in what would be an intriguing 2013 matchup between the 6-7 Parker (Chicago/Simeon) and the 6-5 Wainright (Raytown, Mo./Raytown South). Parker, who is arguably the No. 1 player in high school basketball, has a polished offensive game while Wainright possesses a beefy frame combined with an albatross-like reach.

From the beginning, Wainright's length and strength bothered Parker as he had difficult breaking down Wainright off the dribble. Parker settled for jump shots early on and could never really get into any rhythm on the offensive end. Wainwright, on the other hand, punished Parker and his teammates on the boards and converted some nice buckets in the paint area. In the second half, Parker did a much better job of not settling for jumpers and put together some nice drives of his own, usually resulting with a pinpoint pass to an open teammate. Meanwhile, Wainright displayed some slick ballhandling of his own and demonstrated that passing is part of his offensive package as well. Overall, Wainright won the individual matchup due to the fact that he is one of the few players in the country who has the ability to frustrate Parker at both ends of the floor.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/6802720/marcus-smart-highlights-las-vegas-tournaments-day-4

MCNPA

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2011, 05:50:48 PM »
Per Alex Kline twitter Ishmail wainwright said that St john's and ucla are recruiting him the hardest.

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2011, 05:57:12 PM »
Per Alex Kline twitter Ishmail wainwright said that St john's and ucla are recruiting him the hardest.

I was just about to post it, as well.  Interesting....  It feels good to be in conversation and knowingly, can grab highly rated kids.

MCNPA

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2011, 06:01:24 PM »

I was just about to post it, as well.  Interesting....  It feels good to be in conversation and knowingly, can grab highly rated kids.

Lavin is building UCLA-EAST.  We're more than in the conversation and we're not just making lists.  We're finalists for just about everybody we set in our sights. I am in awe.

Marillac

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2011, 06:06:04 PM »

Lavin is building UCLA-EAST.  We're more than in the conversation and we're not just making lists.  We're finalists for just about everybody we set in our sights. I am in awe.

We'll be doubling UCLA's attendance in three years :)

MCNPA

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2011, 06:08:52 PM »

We'll be doubling UCLA's attendance in three years :)

The funny thing Marillac, is that our attendance is limited a little bit by our small on campus arena, but certainly our numbers at msg can improve by a ton, and I'm positive they will...