Kuran Iverson - SF - Northwest Catholic HS - West Hartford, Connecticut

• 45 replies
His birthday is 8/6/93 so he's 17 first of all. He would be turning 18 entering his junior year when most students would turn 17.

There is no doubt he is behind but jumping to conclusions about his academics, qualifying, etc. is exactly that jumping to unfair conclusions. No one has 1st hand knowledge of what he is or isn't doing in the classroom.

He'll be turning 20 before he sets foot as a college freshman.  The thing to look for with a lot of kids like him who dominate when they are a few years older is whether they are doing so because they have a physical edge that will give way or it is natural ability.  You don't even have to be older, some kids are just men in high school while others are still boys a year or two from busting out.  Rob Thomas comes to mind...not only was he older, but he was mature physically way past his age.

What this kid has physically in terms of speed athletic ability and skill few have of any age have..I wouldnt be worried about him playing against younger players its all about the mental part..If he matures hell be scary because of what he brings in terms of natural ability if not hell be one of those what if players who never reached his potential..

Marillac

His birthday is 8/6/93 so he's 17 first of all. He would be turning 18 entering his junior year when most students would turn 17.

There is no doubt he is behind but jumping to conclusions about his academics, qualifying, etc. is exactly that jumping to unfair conclusions. No one has 1st hand knowledge of what he is or isn't doing in the classroom.

He'll be turning 20 before he sets foot as a college freshman.  The thing to look for with a lot of kids like him who dominate when they are a few years older is whether they are doing so because they have a physical edge that will give way or it is natural ability.  You don't even have to be older, some kids are just men in high school while others are still boys a year or two from busting out.  Rob Thomas comes to mind...not only was he older, but he was mature physically way past his age.

While I don't believe Felipe was necessarily the bust many call him I also felt that his HS success and #1 recruit ranking had a a lot to do with the fact that he was a full grown man, and one with great physical tools, playing against kids. There weren't as many older kids still playing in HS in those days either.  Once you get to college most of the elite have those same or similar physical tools so the advantage is lost.  So I agree you have to watch these types of kids to see if they really have an above average skill set to go with their advanced physical maturity.

I had Felipe in mind when I posted.  Also, Anthony Glover had the body (and face) of a 25 year old as a senior in high school.  That led to him being overranked as his head was pressed against his ceilng.

I'm not saying this is the case with Iverson...just something to look at.  IS8 is so amazing...even in a weak senior class locally, the talent still finds its way to that little gym from different grades and locations.

no St Johns anywhere

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011-0529/2011-bob-gibbons-tournament-of-champions-day-two/

Elite class of 2013 prospect Kuran Iverson of the Long Island Lightning 16s is being recruited by a number of big-time programs. The 6-foot-8 small forward out of Northwest Catholic (CT) said that Connecticut, North Carolina, Syracuse, Villanova, Pittsburgh, Michigan, Florida, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Kentucky and Louisville are involved in his recruitment. Iverson is not exactly sure who he has offers from at this point.

Iverson listed six schools that he is a fan of and all but one of them is on his list: North Carolina, Syracuse, UConn, Villanova, Pitt and the other one, Michigan State. One school in particular is standing out to Iverson, and that would be UConn, which is only about 45 minutes away from him. On whether location is a factor in his recruitment, Iverson said, “Well, my mom may say something about it, but I don’t really care.”

Poison

The book on Lopez after his freshman year at ST was that he needed to get stronger and smarter.

Moose

I've never seen us mentioned with him and I don't expect us to get be mentioned with him.
Remember who broke the Slice news

I've never seen us mentioned with him and I don't expect us to get be mentioned with him.

Did we run out of cash?  :angel:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 11:07:19 AM by Marco Baldi »

boo3

lol

Moose

Good job Baldi.  Now Lenn Robbins will write about this in the Post tomorrow.

Good job Baldi.  Now Lenn Robbins will write about this in the Post tomorrow.

I was thinking Hoops Weiss

I cant understand why you would think that way and I cant understand why you would write same publicly.

I cant understand why you would think that way and I cant understand why you would write same publicly.

I get suspicious when Calipari signs 4 top recruits, what do you thinks going to happen when another coach doubles that plus 1? Would you raise an eyebrow if Pitino signed 9 top 150 guys?

I get suspicious when Calipari signs 4 top recruits, what do you thinks going to happen when another coach doubles that plus 1? Would you raise an eyebrow if Pitino signed 9 top 150 guys?

I know you like to be a jokester and get under folks skin, but it's irresponsible to continue to talk about the exchanging of currency.

I know you like to be a jokester and get under folks skin, but it's irresponsible to continue to talk about the exchanging of currency.

Just an opinion. Like someone said "conjecture"?  Besides, Im always wrong. Right?

gonzalo

I don't expect us to get be mentioned with him.

Why?

He is from the East Coast and he is being recruited by the best Big East teams and by some other very good teams.

Moose

Why?

He is from the East Coast and he is being recruited by the best Big East teams and by some other very good teams.

Because we haven't currently.  Certain scholarship limitations.  All eyes point to 2013 being a small year.  Between Anya, Washington, Samuel and maybe a Hamilton I think they will be the focus of 2013.  2014 and 2015 will be the next big hauls.

gonzalo

Why?

Because we haven't currently.  Certain scholarship limitations.  All eyes point to 2013 being a small year.  Between Anya, Washington, Samuel and maybe a Hamilton I think they will be the focus of 2013.  2014 and 2015 will be the next big hauls.

OK. But we actually have two scholarships for the 2013 class and only one for 2014.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 04:06:14 PM by gonzalo »

Moose

Why?

OK. But we actually have two scholarships for the 2013 class and only one for 2014.

You have to account for players leaving by the time those years come around.  Nuri might have 3 yrs remaining but I think everyone would be shocked if he last 3 years.  Same goes for any of the other freshman who could depart.

Scout has us listed with him.

It appears we are on his list as he said he wants to visit SJU:

For now, Pittsburgh, Connecticut, Kentucky, Syracuse, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech and North Carolina are in the mix.

Although he doesn’t seem anywhere close to a decision, Iverson likes North Carolina and Connecticut.

While on Tobacco Road, Iverson took a trip to Chapel Hill. “I like the team, everybody played hard,” he said of the Tar Heels.

The national champion Huskies are his home state team, but location has nothing to do with why they are high on his list. “I just like Kemba,” Iverson said.

Iverson also mentioned that he wants to visit ST. JOHN's.

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/29761941

Moose

It appears we are on his list as he said he wants to visit SJU:

For now, Pittsburgh, Connecticut, Kentucky, Syracuse, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech and North Carolina are in the mix.

Although he doesn’t seem anywhere close to a decision, Iverson likes North Carolina and Connecticut.

While on Tobacco Road, Iverson took a trip to Chapel Hill. “I like the team, everybody played hard,” he said of the Tar Heels.

The national champion Huskies are his home state team, but location has nothing to do with why they are high on his list. “I just like Kemba,” Iverson said.

Iverson also mentioned that he wants to visit ST. JOHN's.

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/29761941

Skills camp would be a nice time for him to visit.