Bracketology thread

• 332 replies
Re: Bracketology thread
« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2015, 05:30:54 PM »
The Big east schedule is tough for St Johns who is 2-4 but not for DePaul who is 5-2?

choose not to reply to #3, #4 and #5 in the nation?

I'm curious Baldi - are those nobody no-name programs???

Fordham, Tulane, FDU,NJIT, LIU, Franklin pierce. Franklin a Pierce?

Baldi - Is your point that SL is scheduling more patsies than anyone else? Because scheduling lower level teams is a fact in college basketball.

All of the mathematical polls seem to say we have a very good SOS.

As of now, and I know it's early, but what would the committee consider a "good win" on our schedule

Different "issue" than SOS.  Two top 5 OOC games and 1 road game against a perennial top 25 program.  Cuse, St. Marys, Minnesota, and LBSU are also RPI top 100 projected (per RPI forecast). 

Per RPI Forecast, our expected SOS is 19.  This will actually help us on Selection Sunday.  Lots to complain about but SOS is not one of them.

TONYD3

« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2015, 05:33:47 PM »
He is just bored messing with you guys

« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2015, 05:35:35 PM »
Baldi, you start by attacking our strength of schedule (in comparison to Depaul's) and morph the argument into lack of quality wins.  Those are two separate issues.

Only thing that matters is getting in the tourny. That's why I asked what are our "quality wins" that get us over the hump?

I agree.  Just pointing out that that isn't where your argument started.

« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2015, 05:36:06 PM »
The Big east schedule is tough for St Johns who is 2-4 but not for DePaul who is 5-2?

Baldi - Is your point that SL is scheduling more patsies than anyone else? Because scheduling lower level teams is a fact in college basketball.

As of now, and I know it's early, but what would the committee consider a "good win" on our schedule

Different "issue" than SOS.  Two top 5 OOC games and 1 road game against a perennial top 25 program.  Cuse, St. Marys, Minnesota, and LBSU are also RPI top 100 projected (per RPI forecast). 

Per RPI Forecast, our expected SOS is 19.  This will actually help us on Selection Sunday.  Lots to complain about but SOS is not one of them.

So we are in because we beat 5 teams that probably won't be  in?

« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2015, 05:42:19 PM »

That, combined with our overall record.

« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2015, 05:44:59 PM »
There are 13 games left on our schedule.  9 are vs teams that are going to be considered "Quality" wins come March. 

With 13 wins now, we need 22 wins and win our first round big east tournament game giving us 23 to feel comfortable on Selection Sunday. 

« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2015, 05:45:20 PM »

Right now our best win is @Prov. I know you don't think that's a good win Baldi, but according to every single poll not done by Humans...it is a good win.

« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2015, 05:53:03 PM »

I'm simply disproving your original contention: "Do you feel confident in St Johns Ooc schedule getting I to the tourny?  I don't."  Expected SOS is 19.  It will help us on Selection Sunday.

We have 9 games remaining against RPI top 50 teams.  Win 3 or 4 of them, combined with @Prov, @Cuse and our SOS, and the "resume wins" is also a non issue.   If we are a middle of the pack team in conference, our opening BE tourney game will also have a resume win potential. 

« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2015, 05:54:37 PM »

Right now our best win is @Prov. I know you don't think that's a good win Baldi, but according to every single poll not done by Humans...it is a good win.

That's 1

« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2015, 05:58:57 PM »

That's 1

Let's make a deal Baldi, if we beat Duke on Sunday, you shut the #$%^ up for the rest of the year?

« Reply #150 on: January 23, 2015, 06:00:05 PM »

I'm simply disproving your original contention: "Do you feel confident in St Johns Ooc schedule getting I to the tourny?  I don't."  Expected SOS is 19.  It will help us on Selection Sunday.

We have 9 games remaining against RPI top 50 teams.  Win 3 or 4 of them, combined with @Prov, @Cuse and our SOS, and the "resume wins" is also a non issue.   If we are a middle of the pack team in conference, our opening BE tourney game will also have a resume win potential. 

I disagree. I think we have to beat a ranked team now . Beating teams who we are supposed to is not good enough

« Reply #151 on: January 23, 2015, 06:01:34 PM »

That's 1

Let's make a deal Baldi, if we beat Duke on Sunday, you shut the #$%^ up for the rest of the year?

Sure. I will leave the board altogether

« Reply #152 on: January 23, 2015, 06:05:41 PM »

That's 1

Sure. I will leave the board altogether

« Reply #153 on: January 23, 2015, 06:10:29 PM »

I disagree. I think we have to beat a ranked team now . Beating teams who we are supposed to is not good enough

I do not share that opinion, though beating Duke or Nova would definitely help our cause on the bubble.  In your opinion, who are the teams we are "supposed to beat"

« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2015, 06:16:47 PM »

I do not share that opinion, though beating Duke or Nova would definitely help our cause on the bubble.  In your opinion, who are the teams we are "supposed to beat"

I think 8 more wins.  Who will be ranked when we play them is the question? Only Villanova?

Poison

« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2015, 08:01:49 PM »
And I know it's going to come back to Iona  and they would beat Iona by 20 at least.

No. You guys are always the ones to bring it up.

Who has St johns played?  And don't tell me Syracuse

I think the SU win is waded. Sure they are not as deep as they were when they had McCullough, but that program had an impressive record against non-conference opponents in the Dome. Winning there, when no one else could for several years is impressive. They aren't a great team, but they a tourney team right now. Providence and St.Mary's are dancing too if the season ended today. We need all three of these teams to finish strong, and we need to continue to improve so we can beat a Georgtown or a Nova on the road.

That said, I think a resume of SU, Minnesota, LBS, Tulane and St.Mary's is fine. It's not impressive, but it's got a little juice to it. I think we need to go 10-8 to be in the dance, or 9-9 w a run in the BE tourney.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 08:02:53 PM by Poison »

« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2015, 08:08:00 PM »

I think 8 more wins.  Who will be ranked when we play them is the question? Only Villanova?

Agree with 8 more wins, but none need to be ranked in to dance that scenario.  Who are the teams we are "supposed to beat"

LoganK

« Reply #157 on: January 24, 2015, 01:11:26 AM »
DePaul is in 1st place. How are they the worst team in the conference?

And the best team in the conference lost to Lehigh and LMU?

Nice try, Baldi.  I believe even you know that Depaul will not be in 1st place very soon, nor are they the best team in the conference.  I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't win again until Feb 24th (if at all).  Find me a game other than hosting Creighton that they'll be favored in.  I'd set the over/under on wins for the rest of the season by Depaul at 2.5.

8 might be enough, but I would be more comfortable with 9 (including BET).  9 of our 13 remaining games will be against "ranked" opponents.  They might not be ranked in the AP poll, but they're highly rated in the polls that matter.  SMU was ranked in the AP poll but not in the polls that mattered last year.  How'd that turn out?

Poison

« Reply #158 on: January 24, 2015, 01:59:18 AM »
DePaul is in 1st place. How are they the worst team in the conference?

And the best team in the conference lost to Lehigh and LMU?

Nice try, Baldi.  I believe even you know that Depaul will not be in 1st place very soon, nor are they the best team in the conference.  I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't win again until Feb 24th (if at all).  Find me a game other than hosting Creighton that they'll be favored in.  I'd set the over/under on wins for the rest of the season by Depaul at 2.5.

8 might be enough, but I would be more comfortable with 9 (including BET).  9 of our 13 remaining games will be against "ranked" opponents.  They might not be ranked in the AP poll, but they're highly rated in the polls that matter.  SMU was ranked in the AP poll but not in the polls that mattered last year.  How'd that turn out?

Depaul's first half record is much less important than their conference record. The committee cares more about what kind of team you are in March, than November. I never thought they'd keep it up, then they beat us and Seton Hall on the road. That's impressive work. Good for them.

« Reply #159 on: January 24, 2015, 12:26:45 PM »
DePaul up 13 early at Xavier